Gunco Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ive got a bday coming the day after christmas and my wife is going to get me a new gun lol first and last time this willl ever happen probably. anyway i was looking at one of the 17 HMR rifles . anyone own one of these and if so, give me some input on how you like it.

·
Registered
681 Posts
I do not, but have heard nothing but rave reviews on them... I was kind of curious myself. Really small, but really fast, and really accurate. Sounds like a winner to me...

·
Gunco Irregular
4,323 Posts
Are they just for target shooting? I've always skipped over articles about them so I'm pretty ignorant about them. Are they expensive to shoot?

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
I have not figured out the purpose of a 17. Think I'm gonna pass on that caliber.

·
Registered
770 Posts
I've seen a few at the ranges and had the chance to shoot one (can't remember the model)a couple times. Not bad, but not impressed either. I'll stick to my .22's if I wanna just go plinking.

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
I have a CZ 452 heavy barrel in 17 HMR.
It's a great unit, accurate, CZ precision.
Ammo is $8.00 for 50 rnds.

·
Registered
2,607 Posts
if i was to pick a varmint caliber..it wouldn't be that one.Its pretty slow

·
Registered
681 Posts
WC846 said:
if i was to pick a varmint caliber..it wouldn't be that one.Its pretty slow
I think you should read this.
http://www.varmintal.com/17hmr.htm
Makes a 22 look like a daisey 200 shot ranger model with a compass in the stock. (I just saw "a christmas story" for the umpteenth time):thumbup1:

Gunny... The CZs are wonderful rifles. is it the sporter, or full stock model?

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
sks_hunter said:
I think you should read this.
http://www.varmintal.com/17hmr.htm
Makes a 22 look like a daisey 200 shot ranger model with a compass in the stock. (I just saw "a christmas story" for the umpteenth time):thumbup1:

Gunny... The CZs are wonderful rifles. is it the sporter, or full stock model?
sporter, heavy barrel :thumbup1:

·
Registered
329 Posts
road_warrior101 said:
ive got a bday coming the day after christmas and my wife is going to get me a new gun lol first and last time this willl ever happen probably. anyway i was looking at one of the 17 HMR rifles . anyone own one of these and if so, give me some input on how you like it.
My personal opinion of .17 HMR is that it's a solution to a problem that doesn't exist.

Sure, some hot .17's can have a muzzle velocity of nearly 4000 FPS, but because of the bullet's low mass, that speed bleeds off quickly. Also, the muzzle ENERGY (mass X velocity squared) is nothing to write home about.

The .17 HMR is only good for plinking or SMALL varmints. Also, the ammo costs a LOT more than run of the mill, "buy it anywhere" .22LR ammo.

My suggestion... get a .22LR rifle.

Roger

·
Registered
175 Posts
I've seen a few of them and I'm not impressed. There's just not enough weight to them to make them worthwhile in my opinion. Some guys trust in the "shock" of a lightweight high velocity round to kill humanely. I'm not one of them. Although, Roy Weatherby was a fan of that concept.....and he was one of my "firearm hero's" when I was a kid.

I've yet to see what it can do that the .22 mag can't.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Flinter said:
I've seen a few of them and I'm not impressed. There's just not enough weight to them to make them worthwhile in my opinion. Some guys trust in the "shock" of a lightweight high velocity round to kill humanely. I'm not one of them. Although, Roy Weatherby was a fan of that concept.....and he was one of my "firearm hero's" when I was a kid.

I've yet to see what it can do that the .22 mag can't.
Small varmints don't even need a .22 magnum.

A hot .22LR like a CCI Stinger, a CCI Velociter or the heavy and powerful CCI SGB will humanely take out any small varmint.

I only use CCI... but there are also other brands of high power (not just high velocity) .22LR rounds.

Roger

1 - 13 of 13 Posts