Gunco Forums banner

61 - 80 of 85 Posts

·
in the blueridge mtns
8,264 Posts
Such a nice classic style. Really do like it.

·
gunco irregular
3,431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #62 ·
Thanks, I've been running numbers through quickload and it looks like using reloader-7 and a 265gr flex tip at 2000fps gives a very mild 36k psi. Using 45k as the max pressure and R-7 you can get it up to over 2100fps. I had planned on using other powders, but I'd be happy with 2000fps and 36k psi in this rifle. I've used a 240gr 44 bullet with a sabot in my muzzle loader since 1993. CVA says it supposed to be around 1880fps and I know it will push that bullet lengthwise though a deer and break the shoulder on the way out. It's not much, but another 25gr of weight and 120fps is better than what my muzzle loader puts out. Even with the pressure down that low it's not far behind my 444marlin.

·
gunco irregular
3,431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #63 ·
Ended up making a front sight post out of 1/8" brass rod with a .090" bead on top of it. Likely I'll turn it down to .070" or so after deer season as it is currently sighted in and ready for the 15th! Still need to make a follower and mag spring, and eventually rust blue it but that can wait. Did a pretty good job bore sighting it, 25yds about 1" high and a little right of center. Only had to move the sights 5" down at 100yds and 2" over to hit in the center. Groups were in the 2-3" range and many were touching which leads me to believe that with a finer front post or a scope it would do much better, but not bad for what it is. Couldn't find reloader-7 locally so the cases were loaded with 33gr of IMR4227 with a 2.42"COL which QuickLoad says should push the 265gr bullet at 1973 FPS at 37,443 PSI. Since it is sighted in for that I'll use the same load for hunting next sunday and not monkey with anything. The flash made the barrel look darker for some reason, but it's still bright steel color at least until after season when it gets rust blued.

Attachments

Reactions: Tommo

·
Registered
15,204 Posts
Its a good looking gun. Are you going ot paint the stock black or camo. Have you considered a pistol grip ?
So are you planning on keeping this in your hide in the woods for when you need to bug out in a SHTF situation ?
I recommend some PVC pipe an end caps with some desiccant packs like the kind that come with your freese dried food you get from he Mormon's so the bare metal barrel doesn't rust .
Id get a plastic ammo can as the original will rust out if buried . You should have about 4000 rounds of ammo just in case we are invaded by Canada . Cab this be fitted with a hicap mag?
You should consider black powder loads as in the event of a natural disaster you can always make Powder out of charcoal an salt peter ( don't know what salt peter is ) . Its good you used such a old action as it doesn't require a transfer so the Government doesn't know you have it an being a ghost gun it will be easier to trade for gasoline or iodine pills . This will be very important if Hilary gets elected because she is going to have all the guns confiscated .
you should thread the barrel for a suppressor so you can use it for room clearing with out ear protection .

Good job nice build. ;)

·
in the blueridge mtns
8,264 Posts
Where Is that south park clip when you need it??:)

·
Registered
15,204 Posts
Well anyway great job on actually rebuilding a 100 year old receiver an modifying the bolt an getting it to feed this round .

Great job taking a round blank an making equipment to mill it into a octagon taper an then thread it to fit the rifle .

Great job on making a chamber reamer for a wild cat round that was invented right here on Gunco an then making the tooling needed to form the brass .

Great job on coming up with loads with computer soft ware so it can be safely calculated were to start .

Great work on making head space gauges .

Great job on fitting the stock .

Its a shame Gunter is not around here still to see this as he was big part of the development of this round but unfortunately he bailed on the site due the political BS years ago . He would have been proud that you built a bolt action based on ideas originated an discussed on this site by him an I as well as your self an many others who are long gone .
He also would have greatly appreciated the amount of work you put into this build as do I . Im thrilled to see this round in a bolt gun of this quality .

Id like to officially call this round the 44 BGM. The BGM is short for the combination of screen names that made this great round a reality . you are as much if not more reasonable for the development of this as any one an I insist you name is part of it. I cant take credit for all of this round an 444 1BIGGUN is not fair toe others who contributed . Ill reserve that name for my original ( simualr to others ) longer version that is the parent of this great round .

I wish you great success in the up coming deer season a picture of a successful hunt would be icing on the cake for this build an you deserve it .

Its a shame nobody is really left to appreciate the work behind this round an the work you put into this rifle .
I am impressed by it truly under stand the amount of time work an money it took for you to accomplish this build in the time frame you were working with . The barrel is beautiful .
I cant wait to see the gun blued an completely finished .

·
gunco irregular
3,431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #67 ·
Load data for the mild pressure rounds I'll be hunting with this year. Looks like with a 120yd zero the bullet never raises or drops more than 1-5/8" out to 140 yards.

Attachments

·
gunco irregular
3,431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #68 ·
Got a rough follower done, although I'll make another one since the mill tried to eat this one. Wound the .062" music wire spring with the jig and baked it at 500 degrees for an hour. Because of the shape of the follower the gun now only holds 4 rounds, but that'll be just fine.

Attachments

·
in the blueridge mtns
8,264 Posts
That rifle is just going to be amazing moleman. What the heck are you going to hunt with it sir?

·
gunco irregular
3,431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #70 ·
Tasty deer, the same buggers that were trying to decorate my truck grill on the way home tonight.

·
in the blueridge mtns
8,264 Posts
Are they getting to be rodents there too? There's a nature conservancy next to my property. Guess where the vacation spot is now??

·
Registered
15,204 Posts
Yea it all looks good . at 200 you better just put it slightly above its back.

Guys this is a very mild load BTW . there is a lot of room to go with this round on different actions .

the energy numbers are impressive .

when his round hits about 2200 FPS with bit more pressure it is considered a BIG game round . Deer are medium game .
I was playing with the numbers on hornadys website that calculates enrgy bullet speed an bullet size an gives it a rating .

the energy numbers are interesting . this round at 200 yards has about 400 pounds more energy that a 30-30 at the same range .

IMO the set up he has is a really god deer rifle for 200 yards it certainly will kill at 300 . range estimation will be come important .

I think for his intended use on deer an staying with in the MI laws for were he is hunting this rifle is about optimum for its intended use as bolt action .

With a 1.8" straight wall case length limit there are only a few challengers worth considering . the 460 S&W in a rifle or the 45 raptor that is a non rimed version of the 460 are a couple .
the 44 BGM will shoot flatter than those . A 50 cal version would need to much pressure to have the speed with the limited case capacity . IMO this round is about as good as it can get when you factor in trajectory an energy an its intended use . I think if it were in a modern rifle at 65,000 PSI it would really be something if the bullet's work at the higher speeds OK . keep in mind the bullet Moleman is using is the exact same one used in the 444 marlin Hornady factory loads . This round can meet or exceed a 444 marlin if loaded up .

Its made from very easy to get 30-06 , 270 or similar brass . 45 raptor cases are a $1 each .

the same buggers that were trying to decorate my truck grill on the way home tonight.
can you plug truck into the ballistics soft ware an get a energy number ;)

·
in the blueridge mtns
8,264 Posts
Thank you biggun! Nice input and reminds me of why I came here.moleman I dig it and again thank you for sharing it on this site.

·
gunco irregular
3,431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #74 ·
My favorite 44 mag load is 24gr W296 or H110 and a 240gr bullet in my pistol. At the muzzle it produces 1195 FTLBS. I've taken many deer with that load while pistol hunting. This mild 44BGM load doesn't drop to 1200 FTLBS until 180 yards if Quick target is correct.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I picked up a bubba'd M91 several months ago. Just a barreled action and the barrel is best used as a tomato stake. To say you have made me look outside the box and inspired me is an understatement. Thanks.

·
gunco irregular
3,431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #76 ·
Did an LR308/AR10 in 44BGM 44x1.8" right after the mauser. Mild 52K psi 225ftx chrony average was 2407 fps out of the 16" barrel. Ended up taking a buck with it this year with a Silencerco Hybrid on to make it hearing safe using a 265gr FTX again with a mild 52Kpsi load at 2150fps. The 265gr ftx are pretty long for their weight and take up alot of case capacity. The 265 interlock FP can be driven to around 2370 fps out of the 16" barrel. Recoil is similar to shooting my 1100 12ga. I think the most I've shot out of the AR10 at one time is around 150 rounds. 1Biggun and I also did a 1.6" version for the AR15's that internally is the same as a 445 Super Mag and that data can be used. Recoil in it is not much more than an SKS. Got a buck this year with the AR10 44BGM 44x1.8", angling away heart shot, at least 36" of penetration at 80yds with the mild load.

Attachments

·
Where's my lathe?
1,104 Posts
I'm still impressed with what you can do.
You should get a tattoo that says "Badass".

·
Registered
8,688 Posts
That is a super nice rifle! Thanks very much for all the great pictures and information, really enjoyed this.

·
in the blueridge mtns
8,264 Posts
Tommo maybe you can share this with me Bob is on my ignore list at the moment. Thanks!

61 - 80 of 85 Posts