Gunco Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi I'am new to this forum , probably the only non US member(from good o'l blighty) any how down to business I know you can get 22LR kits for the 1911 but are there any others availble? what good and whats bad?? thanks for any info. dinger.

·
Registered
844 Posts
I know brownell's (brownells.com) has ciener kits. CDNN used to sell some at really good prices, but I called recently and they said they wouldn't have more anytime soon.

dinger said:
hi I'am new to this forum , probably the only non US member(from good o'l blighty) any how down to business I know you can get 22LR kits for the 1911 but are there any others availble? what good and whats bad?? thanks for any info. dinger.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Ciener
Marvel
Wilson Combat
Kimber(I think)

I've been wanting to check out the carbine conversion too. But I want to shoot someone else's before I drop the dough on one. They're all over gunbroker and Wilson also offers one.

·
Registered
41 Posts
pmbiker said:
Ciener
Marvel
Wilson Combat
Kimber(I think)
The Wilson kit is so similar to the Ceiner kit that I wouldn't be surprised if Ceiner is subcontracting to Wilsom. IMO (and I do not own one) the Marvel kit is superior to anything out there. I own a Ceiner kit (a gift from my wonderful wife) and it is great. I have successfully competed with it in rimfire competition; it holds its own against High-Standards, Rugers, and Brownings. But the Marvel kit is truly a thing of beauty with excellent fit and finish, and in my mind, a superior design for rifire reliability.

The only other kit for the 1911 that I am aware of is the Colt Ace kit. They are pretty much collector's items at this point, and way overpriced for what you get. My advice: if you are a serious competitor, get the Marvel kit. If you just like to plink or practice for self-defense, get the Ceiner.

The 1911 is a pretty versatile platform. You can shoot many different centerfire pistol calibers from it. The popular ones besides 45ACP are 9mmPara, 38 Super, 40 S&W. Others that have "cult" followings are 9x23 (a fantastic round), .38 Special, 10mm, 357 Sig, 45 Super, and 460 Rowland. The two factors for caliber change are slide breech face and ejector length. This means that to change cartridges, you have to, in addition to barrel and recoil spring, change the slide and maybe the ejector when you change cartridges. Now, usually, ejectors are pinned in, and that is why most people do not have multiple cartridge kits for their 1911s [besides, the mighty 45ACP does just about everything you could want from a handgun ;) ]. But an old shooter pointed out that the ejector is a 'captive' part under the slide, and that pinning is not necessary unless the ejector can be lost during disassembly. I personally have not tried an unpinned ejector, but I know plenty of shooters who have, and none have experienced problems with it.

That's my $2 worth (that's $0.02 in 1911 values adjusted for inflation).

1 - 4 of 4 Posts