Gunco Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Gunco Samurai
3,340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to buy a 1911, but I can't afford much at the moment. I've been looking at the Rock Island Armory basic model and it seems pretty affordable for me. Any opinions on them? Or should I maybe trade away an AK for a better one? I'd like to pick one up with in the next month. Any other suggestions? :thankyou:

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
I never met a 1911 that I did not like. One of my cheaper ones is my favorite.

·
Registered
3,518 Posts
PT....you want to buy an 80% or FFL frame?

·
Gunco Samurai
3,340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
mbadboyz said:
PT....you want to buy an 80% or FFL frame?
I can see that in my future.

·
Gunco Samurai
3,340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok, to fill the need for this handgun I decided to go with a CZ-52. I ordered some brass, bullets, and a die set for 7.62 X 25. That doesn't mean I don't still want the 1911 but the CZ will fill the need for the time being (sp?). The story is: my friend and I screwed up on our applications for the spring Javalina hunt here in AZ. We missed out on ALL the rifle tags because of this stupid error on our part. The only leftover tags left are for blackpower, bow, crossbow, and handgun. .45 would be great, but I know that 90 grain JHP 7.62 X 25 zipping away at 1800 fps will more than get the job done.
I guess then I can concentrate on a custom 1911 build the way I want it instead of buying only what I can now (being that the hunt is only two months away).
:thankyou:

·
Master Endmill Breaker
1,367 Posts
Rock Island .45s are okay for the money. They run from right around $300, so they're easily budgeted for. I've fired one recently and the fit and finish seems typical for entry level 1911s. There's just enough slop for reliability, but not too much to kill accuracy. These aren't competition pistols, but it did keep a respectable grouping on the paper.

http://forum.m1911.org/showthread.php?t=388&page=1&pp=10

http://www.sightm1911.com/lib/tech/ria_reliability.htm

Springfield Armory Mil-Spec and GI models are just a little bit more expensive than the Rock Island. Of the 2, I prefer the Mil-Spec over the GI. The Mil-Spec has a lowered and beveled ejection port and a few other features for just a little more money.

With any 1911, spend a couple bucks and buy a pack of recoil buffers. I use Wilson Combat Shok-Buffs in all my .45s that they'll fit. I can't use them in the C6.45 or Ultra-Compacts because of the recoil spring assembly design. Keep track of the number of rounds fired, so you can change your springs on a regular basis. Use decent mags and you shouldn't have any problems. Let us know what you buy and how it works out for you.

EDIT: Ah, I just see you already made a choice. Oh well, I still say get the Rock Island. You can never have too may 1911s.

·
Gunco Samurai
3,340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the info and the links, now I have a lot of reading to do. :) 1911 here we come!! (soon anyway)

·
Registered
43 Posts
I've got a rock Island .45 and after 100rds the sear broke and the trigger is junk.
So I put a new sear in and now the hammer won't drop all the way. It's sitting at my gunsmiths shop now. My smith called to tell me it needs a new trigger all the springs and another sear. So my cheap $350 .45 is going to cost another $150 to fix.
save your money and buy a good .45

dixieboy

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
dixieboy said:
I've got a rock Island .45 and after 100rds the sear broke and the trigger is junk.
So I put a new sear in and now the hammer won't drop all the way. It's sitting at my gunsmiths shop now. My smith called to tell me it needs a new trigger all the springs and another sear. So my cheap $350 .45 is going to cost another $150 to fix.
save your money and buy a good .45

dixieboy
Uh, it is under warranty, you know. I've heard good things about Rock Islands' Warranty service over on 1911forums.com.
I own one. I've put about 250 round thru mine. It's accurate and reliable. Why is your smith wanting to replace the trigger, he doesn't like it? Is it broken? Did you fit the sear or just drop it in?
He wants to replace *all* the springs? What was wrong with the second sear you put in, that he wants to replace that too?
Wait.....he wants $150 to replace a sear, trigger, and some springs? on a new gun ?
That you could have sent back to the factory for *FREE*?
Sorry, I'm not doggin' you, but i think somebody isn't being straight with you.
From the SARCO ad in SGN......
Sear...........................$6.95
Trigger, long adjustable...9.50
From the net:
Wolff Spring kit for recoil, firing pin and hammer spring....about $45, depending on power wanted.
I'm up to around $70 (max) in parts.
I'd be tellin' him to hold off while I contacted the factory, they will make it right. Sounds like he's trying to sell you stuff you don't really need. The only fitting on these parts would be the sear, it HAS to be fitted to be correct. the trigger and springs should be drop-ins.

·
Registered
43 Posts
The sear I put in was an extra I had from another 1911 and it didn't fit right.
trigger is crunchy feeling when you pull it and doesnt engage hammer. hammer won't go down far enough to strike firing pin. The $150 is for all the parts plus hand fiting sear -videky trigger-new beaver tail grip safty-commander style hammer and springs
Rock Island won't warrant a gun if you use handloads and I told the truth when I contacted them and admitted to useing handloads which voided the warranty

dixieboy

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
Ah, now this makes more sense.
So, you fired handloads of unknown power in this pistol. After 100 rounds the sear breaks. The factory won't fix it because of the handloads (which is pretty much standard, BTW). You attempt to put a part already fitted to another gun into it, and it doesn't fit. Your gunsmith sells you a custom hammer, trigger, grip safety and springs. Oh, and the sear, which is really all it needs.
I don't mean to come off as a smart @ss, but I fail to see how this makes the gun anything less than quality. Seems the combination of handloads, unfitted replacement parts, and a desire to customize is behind the $150 here.
Besides, at the end you will still have a nice, semi-custom 1911-for $500, instead of the 700-800 for a comparable Kimber or SA.
Personally, I plan on putting another trigger in mine (it wobbles a bit more than I like) an arched mainspring housing, wider grip safety and different grips. Those are just things I want, not that the pistol needs.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I went with the upgrade because after my gun smith took the pistol apart
he found the metal on the hammer and original sear to be brittle[there was pieces of metal chipping off where the lockup surfaces are] the handloads were starting loads they weren't hot at all. I've reloaded 1000's of .45acp and have never had a problem
with them in my other three 1911's just this one. thats whey I decided to do a complete up grade on this 1911. the trigger was crunchy feeling when I first got it and just got wores the more I used it. So I took it to my smith and told him to go through the whole gun and change anything that looked like it was bad or need changed out.
My gun smith is a expert on 1911's and builds race guns and competition style 1911's
for some of the big name 1911 shooters [he knows his shit when it comes to 1911 pistols] I bought this 1911 for a plinking gun my idea was to have a cheap 1911 that I didn't have to mess with so much for that Idea Ive got three custom 1911's and one stock 70 series colt 1911 .
My gun smith told me the only good parts on the Rock Island 1911's were the frame and slides the rest was junk He also told me there sears and hammers were known to be bad forgings useing second grades of metal. I guess you get what you pay for when it comes to cheap 1911 pistols. I'm not nocking Rock Island firearms but I wouldn't want to stack my life on one.

dixieboy

·
Registered
3 Posts
My First Post Here!

My first post here and I sure do recommend the S&W 1911's highly. I have had a 1911Sc (commander model) for about two months now. I have around 1000 rounds through it and it has been free of any malfunctions. It is light, weighing in around 27 ounces empty and is really a dream to carry concealed. I sure do recommend it highly.:)

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
I own A Rock Island and have put a thousand rounds throught it with no problems . When I first got it did have feed issues but got out my dremel and just polished the feed ramp to solve the problem . My buddy bought one and it ran great right out of the box.......For the money great 1911 . .......

·
Registered
625 Posts
I?ve had one for over three years and after over five hundred rounds without a jam or misfire I guess I?ll keep it, even though like most other 1911?s it bites the web of my thumb now and then, nothing a new beavertail wouldn?t cure.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts