1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,900 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
B.U.F. (Bald, Ugly, Fat)
1,506 Posts
The "magic load" (Optimal Charge Weight) for .308 seems to be 44 - 45 grains Varget with 175g Sierra Match King. If your barrel prefers 168 grain SMK increase to 46 grains powder.

Or not.

·
Happy Camper
7,794 Posts
New to reloading eh? Too many variables to list here. Get yourself some reloading manuals and enjoy the read. Remember just like all reloading don't aim for the right side of the charts :) Start small and work it up until you find an optimal load for accuracy. Some of the higher power loads aren't as tack-driving accurate as some of the midrange loads.

I'd look into 150gr loads as well. Most all the .mil ammo is 150gr.

·
Registered
4,563 Posts
lyman reloading manual is the way to go

in this day of hard to get powders I prefer one powder to reload many calibers IMR 3031

I use it for 308, 8mm, 303, 7.7mm, 30'06, and yes 223

IMR 4227 for 30 cal carbine, 7.62x39mm,

hope that helps

·
Premium Member
6,900 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
All great info guys, thank you.

I've got a manual (it is a Sierra IIRC) coming with my reloading gear. I will have it all in 3-5 business days. When I say newb, I mean newb LOL

I wanted to get a head start and get some powder and bullets. I'd like to be able to be up and running when the equipment shows.

·
Registered
15,204 Posts
+1 on the Lyman loading manual . I also cross reference others just to be sure its correct .

Defiantly check out he Hodgen powder site with the on line reloading recipes its a great resource an good for comparing loadst hey have revamped it recently . It also gives pressures for most loads Hodgdon Reloading | Home

Id get a set up to determine how far you can set bullets out an play with the seating a bit it really makes a difference .

I generally get a few powders recommended an load up six rounds at various powder charges each an shoot thre shot groups the powder that shows the best performance will then get the bullets seated in an out n the charge will be moved slightly up an down to what works the best .

look for powders that fullt he case almost full they general perform the best . the Lyman boot will high light the likely best laod for each bullet weight

if your using a power dispenser then ball powders generaly meter the best . also consider how dirty a powder burns an how stable it is with heat changes as far as pressures some powders are really affected .

pay attention to your neck tension an concentrically as it will affect accuracy also .

reloading can be real easy or a very involved scientific precision endeavor. I do know that consistently is key an anything that is notthe same in each round will cause you issues.

i think ai had 9 hours in making 25 6mmBRX laods one day LOL I have also loaded 500 rounds of 223 in a few hours were I jsut did the basics

·
Premium Member
6,900 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I just went and checked, the manual that comes with it is a speer. I'm going to go order up a Lyman.
Thanks again

·
Registered
6,497 Posts
+2 on the Lyman book,,I LOVE the 168-175 Speer Match Kings and 3031 powder. The "accuracy loads" listed are Damn hard to beat,,these guys test thousands and thousands of rounds a year and I'm sure they test much more than any of us could possibly do, so I stick with there loads 99% of the time, with minor corrections for what a particular rifle likes best.

308 , 8mm and 06 are my favorite calibers and what I can reload for anything from crows to moose, and everything in between. I gave up on wildcats years ago even though there's many really great ones out there. But 308, 06, and 8mm will do anything most any wildcat will do with proper load work up. That's the great part about reloading,,,you can put factory loads to shame,,,,

·
Premium Member
7,143 Posts
Max - I sent you a PM with a link for a possible source of powder, etc.

·
Registered
23 Posts
The Service Rifle load everyone used for many years was 41.5gr of any of the 4895 powders, with a 168gr bullet, in a Lake City case. If using LC brass that is once fired, it will probably have been fired in a machine gun with loose headspace, and sizing back to original size will take a lot. Years ago I liked Federal primers, but switched to Winchester as they were more available and harder.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Same here in some LC Match brass, also the ole "mexican" match round pull the 173gr replace
with 168gr Sierra Match King. shoots well in my ole Devine M1A And yes the 30-06 version LC Match

-Rock

·
Registered
6,497 Posts
Those Match Kings ,,,are the cats ass,

and my match and many different long range varmint hunting loads are primarily loaded with them more than with any other projectile I use,,bar none. Thousands and Thousands of them,,,,,

By far one of my favorites. I haven't used them in any caliber that they didn't perform great in.

I Wish they'd make them in a 6.5 for my Swede , but the 140 SPBT Serria's work good for those, Game Kings I think they are,I don't remember right now what they are called with out them right in front of me handy.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts