Gunco Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Gunco Samurai
3,340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does your Saiga chew up the brass too bad to do reloads?
Have you tried the 155gr AMAX bullets out of yours? What did you think?
:thankyou:

·
Registered
625 Posts
My Saiga leaves no marks at all or maybe just a small bright mark from the extractor and that?s it. What part of the casing is chewed up?

·
Gunco Samurai
3,340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was just asking because I thought I had read about crimping and bad dings from Saigas in the past. I'd love to get one of these this coming Spring.
Guess you haven't tried the AMAX yet?

·
Registered
10 Posts
AFAIK, only the 7.62x39 Saigas damage the brass. Supposedly this is due to some Russian law and the need to identify the ammo as having come from a civlian gun.

·
Gunco Samurai
3,340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I think you're right TXN, glad to see you made it over here BTW. The Saigas do something weird to the brass, but I meant in general. I know that a lot of Kalashnikovs are very hard on the brass. I've read posts by Romak III owners that say their brass is one time only, the gun trashes it. In looking at ammo online I haven't been impressed with affordable ammo. I haven't heard anything really about Wolf, but I would expect that it would perform much like the other calibers which is ok but not great. Enter handloading----bullets and brass really aren't all that expensive, and I already own the equipment. I've seen a lot of posts that state that loads with the AMAX 155gr are basically the best with dramatic fragmentation when loaded for a .308. Is the spent brass reusable is what I really wanted to know.

·
Gunco Samurai
3,340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well this topic may be a dead end for me anyway since I fear that the Saigas are either going to dry up or get real expensive over the next few months. I don't have cash to buy the .308 just at the moment.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts