Gunco Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Thought this would be the best place to discuss my project. Studying the gas system and picking the best place to tap for gas is the subject for an engineering design project. I've had to do a few more mods to the kit than I previously expected, but so far so good. It's a bit clunky at the moment because I only had aluminum handy for the new parts, so I had to overdesign them. Will probably shave off a bit of it as possible.

Kit is an AMD-65. Barrel is from a Marlin 336. Caliber is 35 Remington.

More details to follow. One thing I ask is if you wish to link to these pics, please only do so among my preferred forums: Gunandgame.com, akfiles.com, graybeardoutdoors.com, saiga-12.com, gunboards.com, and arf.com.

Attachments

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
The third pic down is my AMD pistol build placed atop my 35 cal action and a spare buttstock I have. Still not sure which receiver to use. Still have to figure out a magazine for it since my idea of stretching AR mags had no success.

The visible protruding screws I used to help mount and align stuff and will be later removed.

·
Premium Member
7,143 Posts
would some type of 30-06 mag work? Example being the 10 round mags they sell for the remington 7400, 742, etc. BTW, nice looking project.

·
Happy Camper
7,794 Posts
You know I'm not sure if this will work with a 7.62x39 action. I think you're going to have to use a Saiga .308 action. Just not sure it will work due to the travel. I don't know what differences there are with a .308 vs. 7.62x39 Saiga's action, but it is something to consider.

·
Master Endmill Breaker
1,367 Posts
I tried a couple .35 Rems in the Romak 3 mag, and it's not pretty... The 7.62x54R is just too pointy, and it's magazines have a narrowed front because of it. I'll post a couple pics later. I'll try a FAL mag and see how that lines up.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Saiga 308 action is the same length as the 7.62x39mm. Yeah, I know, you'd never believe it till you see it. And I still managed to move the mag well rearward on my Saiga 308.

35 Rem has been done before on an AKM.
I've been trying my darndest not to use 308 length mags cause my whole idea was to make this an intermediate type gun, not full size. If only the AR-15 mags would flatten on the sides when I stretch them forward they'd work. But I guess you can't win 'em all. Might try flattening them with an anvil before giving up on them completely. Or I might try to attach a forward extension to them. I dunno, will just have to experiment a little. Might even try a plastic extension of a '74 mag I have.

·
Happy Camper
7,794 Posts
I don't get it, what's wrong with a 308 mag? Not following your logic about "intermediate" type of gun vs. "full size". I think 35 remington would be considered a "full power" cartridge and not "intermediate" which is typically reserved for cartridges that were deliberately underpowered, like the 7.62x39 or the German WW2 cartridge of the Sturmgewher (sp?) which was a cut-down 7.92mm (aka 8mm) cartridge.

???

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
35 Rem is deliberately underpowered to operate in the old Rem model 8 semi-auto rifle. Its pressures are lower than 7.62x39mm and the base is only slightly larger. It's comparable to a 30-30, which I consider an intermediate round. As 308 and 30-06 are in my view the fullpower counterparts to 30-30, the 35 Rem's full power counterparts would be the 358 Win and 35 Whelen.

·
Registered
704 Posts
A 35 fits nicely in a fal mag and as a plus you can use spire point bullets instead of those roundnose thingies.

Attachments

·
Happy Camper
7,794 Posts
See I consider all those big-ass rounds to be full-power rounds, but I guess they don't have to be a widely-used cartridge to be "intermediate". Again, I'm going by military cartridge evolutions as my guide. FWIW, I know that the 7.62x39 bullet trajectory is very very similar to a dirty-30.

Yeah I remember my Dad learning about the spire point bullet problems. Seems like it was a powerful cartridge, but then again I was probably twelve when I shot it. First time I ever used a ghost ring sight!

·
Registered
704 Posts
A 35 does pack a pretty good wallopas most if not all loadings use some pretty heavy bullets 180-250 grs.A 250 gr. slug in my 35 Whelen Imp. is not a pleasent round to touch off to many times in a row.I have been loading 158 gr. pistol bullets to fire form my brass to cut down on the recoil.I think a 200gr. Hornady spire point would be the cats ass in this 35 if you can get it to feed reliablely.It would make an outstanding close range deer gun.Say 100-150 yds.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Update: I've decided to, for the sake of action length, use only a special loading with a deeply seated hollow point bullet. Perhaps in the future I'll make another one with a longer magazine intended to feed all 35 Rem rounds. But this way I can use a standard AKM receiver with a standard AKM mag adapted into a straight column instead of tapered. I'll test loads with my incoming Rem 760 and then when I've found the right one, tune the action to fit it. I'm debating what sort of configuration to build it in, sporting or tactical. I'm pretty sure optics will be a scout type picatinny rail from the rear site to the gas block.

·
Registered
704 Posts
I would go tactical .You can still use it for Deer hunting and it would look cooler.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The trunion and bolt must be larger and stronger to chamber and fire 308.

Oh, by the way, the third picture down just has my AMD pistol atop the barreled trunion and a stock I have sitting around. The thing still needs to be finished.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Good work! And very interesting. The .35 Rem is the base case for the 6.8 Rem SPC. Did you have to open up the bolt face? Or was it close enough to the tolerances for the 7.62x39?

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
I've got a buddy who built up a FAL in .358 Win. Basically that caliber is a .308 necked up to 9mm.

Works great and very blasty........

That's some serious WECSOG there BattleRifleG3!

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I had to open the extractor a little, but there is enough space on the bolt face to take the 35 Rem.

The 6.8 SPC is based on the 30 Rem, not the 35 Rem.

I REALLY wanted a 358 FAL for a while. Sadly the 358 Win is not to the 35 Whelen what the 308 is to the 30-06. The Whelen picks up and soars. For higher power, I'm doing an AK conversion to 444 Marlin. Now THAT's a gun. And yes, the pressures fit. I will soon be doing an engineering design simulation to show that it will.

And OH MY is it SERIOUS Wecsog. I'm ashamed to say some of the details. But I have an Engineering degree so I know how to deal with safety factors, and will test it plenty behind a barrier and measure for yielding before sharing it.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts