Gunco Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i keep reading that 5.45 ammo avail here is inferior to Russian military 5.45..and thus not up to.223 performance as far as stopping power.these people say that 5.45 ammo here does not even key hole or impact as it was designed...can this be true?ive heard that Barnaul is making their military ammo in Russia.Can anyone comment here?

·
Registered
40 Posts
5.45x39mm ammo was never made to key hole. The tip of the bullet has a air space and when it hits the steel core moves foreword into this space. This changes the center of gravity causing the bullet to become unstable. The bullet does tumble but not in a straight line. It does this in the first couple inches of penatration in soft tissue unlike other bullets that take several inches of penatration to do this. The 60grain fmj ammo imported does have the same air space in the nose of the bullet so it works the same but not having a steel core the penatration in harder targets is going to be less.
Vympel was started to mfg. 5.45 military ammo.
http://www.amursk.ru/vympel/eng_vympel.htm

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
JA545 said:
5.45x39mm ammo was never made to key hole. The tip of the bullet has a air space and when it hits the steel core moves foreword into this space. This changes the center of gravity causing the bullet to become unstable. The bullet does tumble but not in a straight line. It does this in the first couple inches of penatration in soft tissue unlike other bullets that take several inches of penatration to do this. The 60grain fmj ammo imported does have the same air space in the nose of the bullet so it works the same but not having a steel core the penatration in harder targets is going to be less.
Vympel was started to mfg. 5.45 military ammo.
http://www.amursk.ru/vympel/eng_vympel.htm
thanx.then tell me if u would,how does the 5.45 measure up in your opinion to nato 5.56?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
RASPUTIN said:
thanx.then tell me if u would,how does the 5.45 measure up in your opinion to nato 5.56?
.....also idont see on the sight u provided where they are exporting steel core ammo...where did u learn of this please,and who will sell it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts