Gunco Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Didn't have much to do today so I thought that I'd make a five round magazine for my AK-74. Yes, I did have to sacrifice a 30 round magazine but the 30 rounders are plentiful.

Haven't had a chance to shoot the rifle with it but I don't have any doubts it will work. I will post a tutorial on the assembly later.

"Click On Picture To Enlarge"

Attachments

·
Premium Member
7,143 Posts
looks good. Did you make this to cover a magazine capacity restriction with hunting or just because?

·
Registered
704 Posts
A gift for D. Fuckstein perhaps.LOL

·
Registered
508 Posts
That looks pretty darn good to me, I'm looking forward to the tutorial.:thumbup1: I'd be willing to sacrifice a 30 rounder or two due to Ohio hunting regulations. (yeah, I'm pretty doubtful any real penalty would be imposed for being caught with a 30 rounder with 2 or 3 rounds in it out blasting groundhogs, I've done it before) I would like to be in complete compliance in my pursuit to take some coyotes with an AK74 though.

My CUR2 came with a cut down steel 30 round 5.45 mag, function is fine but it tends to hang up in the magwell, sometimes on insertion and other times upon removal. It's considerably shorter than your converted Bulgarian mag which could possibly be the culprit. In the event there are any glitches with your project I'd be happy to post pics/measurments of the Rommie 5 rounder and spring.

·
Gunco Samurai
3,340 Posts
Nice Job Toten!!
I managed to pick up a 5 round Romy mag from a guy on another forum, had to do a little filing but it fits real nice now.

·
Loaner
5,358 Posts
Was just blocking the mag not an option....or just bored? Can you temp block one for hunting or does it have to be permanent? Or does it depend on your state? I just heard from a local guy doing gun safety at a high school that in TX mag cap is not an issue with deer...any TX folk that can clear that up for sure?

·
Registered
508 Posts
magnus392 said:
Was just blocking the mag not an option....or just bored? Can you temp block one for hunting or does it have to be permanent? Or does it depend on your state? I just heard from a local guy doing gun safety at a high school that in TX mag cap is not an issue with deer...any TX folk that can clear that up for sure?
Dunno about Texas, heck I don't even know the particulars here but the 5 rounders are easier to pack. When I take my 5.56 Norinco out for groundhogs I always tuck a spare 5 rounder in my back pocket. Hmm, if my memory serves me correct I've never been lucky enough to actually need it...Nice to have back-up though!:chinese:

BTW, the tutorial is located here in case you're interested:http://www.gunco.net/forums/showthread.php?t=2728

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The main reason I made the five rounder is when I zero the rifle I like to use a bench rest (I know the AK is not a bench rest gun...LOL). The rest just makes it easier and you can't use the thirty round mag with the rest. There isn't enough clearance. And yes, I was bored...LOL

·
Registered
704 Posts
SangRun Hunter said:
I have 2 Norinco 5 rounders that I have used for the bench and hunting. Most eastern states specify 5 rounds max for hunting.
We used to have a 8 round limit but they changed that law the same year the AWB started.LOL

·
Registered
3 Posts
Cool Mag

Another Buckeye here - did you glue it ?

I have been thinking about cutting and gluing using some hi-tech stikky stuff.

Me too on the yotee hunting - gonna kill me a big 'un.

·
Premium Member
5,980 Posts
Toten Kopf said:
The main reason I made the five rounder is when I zero the rifle I like to use a bench rest (I know the AK is not a bench rest gun...LOL). The rest just makes it easier and you can't use the thirty round mag with the rest. There isn't enough clearance. And yes, I was bored...LOL
I use the portable work benches with the gap in the center.

Bridge it with a rice bag for the fore end.

·
Registered
832 Posts
What kind of rice?Does it impart a flavor nuance?Armament Arborio.Blowbuy Basmati.Long rifle long grain....Uncle Winn's Ballistic Instant Rice!Bag to table in 30 rounds!And for the adventurous spiced with Hoppe's Nitro #9!
Sorry I could not resist.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts