Gunco Forums banner
21 - 28 of 28 Posts
SangRun Hunter said:
I like the steering wheel or is that a vault dial? :lol:
That's for playing driving simulation games Like 1954 Nash Ambassador.

Just happened to be reading the " New Additions at Urban LegendsAbout.com and found this :http://urbanlegends.about.com/library/bl_rand_home_computer.htm

From Popular Mechanics: 1954 Mock-Up of a 'Home Computer'
Netlore Archive: Emailed image allegedly taken from a 1954 issue of Popular Mechanics shows the RAND Corporation's conception of what a home computer would look like in 2004

Description: Emailed image
Circulating since: Oct. 2004
Analysis: See below

Email example contributed by B. Dunlop, 23 November 2004:

Subject: FW: 1954 Popular Mechanics

In 1954, Popular Mechanics showed its readers what a home computer might look like this year (2004).

From Popular Mechanics 1954 - RAND Corp. model of home computer for 2004
Click to Enlarge

Comments: Though it has been significantly doctored, what you actually see in the image above is a full-scale mock-up of the maneuvering room of a nuclear submarine.

The original photograph, taken at a Smithsonian Institution exhibit called "Fast Attacks and Boomers: Submarines of the Cold War," became the basis of a Fark.com Photoshop contest in September 2004, for which the above image, including caption, was created.

The caption reads:

Scientists from the RAND corporation have created this model to illustrate how a "Home Computer" could look like in the year 2004. However, the needed technology will not be economically feasible for the average home. Also the scientists readily admit that the computer will require not yet invented technology to actually work, but 50 years from now scientific progress is expected to solve these problems. With teletype interface and the FORTRAN language, the computer will be easy to use.

Which is just silly, if you think about it. Why would engineers waste their valuable time building a mock-up of a "home computer" that no one could afford? There is nothing "easy to use" about a teletype interface and the FORTRAN programming language.

Given that even the smallest functioning computers in the 1950s were big enough to fill a master bedroom, no one at the time could have envisioned them becoming home appliances. Remington Rand's UNIVAC I, the very first commercial computer made in the United States, weighed 29,000 pounds and occupied over 350 square feet of floor space. Like other computer models of the time, it didn't have a video monitor, let alone a steering wheel.

Discussion starter · #26 ·
Sorry guys, I received this in an e-mail from a very trusted friend. I'm sure he was scammed also.

At least it made for some interesting comments.

Preacher said:
Sorry guys, I received this in an e-mail from a very trusted friend. I'm sure he was scammed also.

At least it made for some interesting comments.
No need to be sorry as it sure sounded and looked good to me too and as Ziggy points out it wasn't far off ! It still reminds me of how they portrayed computers in early 60's TV series like "Lost In Space".

21 - 28 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.