Gunco Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
DADDY WARBUCKS
19,433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dukes movie Confederate flag caused conundrum
daily-report.com ^ | 12-30-04 | Tom Guarisco)

The cast member on the Dukes of Hazard movie that had the filmmakers scratching their heads has not been publicity-drenched Jessica Simpson or her rabble-rousing smart-ass co-star, Johnny Knoxville.

It's the General Lee, the bright orange 1969 Dodge Charger central to all Duke boys escapades. More specifically, it's the Confederate Flag emblazoned on the General's roof, a symbol that has become quite the object of controversy since the original TV series' seven-season run starting in 1979.

The filmmakers didn't want to alienate modern audiences, the Wall Street Journal reported recently in a story headlined "Flag wavering." Nor did the moviemakers want to anger long-time fans by tinkering with the Warner Bros show. "So they struck a compromise with the studio."

Quoting a source involved with making the film, the Journal says the film includes scenes where the flag is "derided as an inappropriate symbol of the dark past."

For example, Bo and Luke ask a group of African-American college students for directions. "Is this a joke? Some kind of reality show?" one of them asks. Bo, the dimmer of the Dukes, explains the flag is cool and that their friend Cooter, a Civil War buff, painted it when he fixed the car. But Luke understands, and explains to Bo that some people find the flag offensive and a "symbol of slavery." That Luke, he always was perty' smart.

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
Need to change with the times. I think they should put a Rainbow Flag on it.

I always wondered just what the nature of the relationship was between the Duke boys, anyway.

·
Mystic Knight of the Sea
13,384 Posts
I'm not a Southern boy, but it still irritates me that so many movie & TV producers are whiney liberal PC pukes. I guess that is why I don't care for hardly any of the newer movies or TV shows. Perhaps 1 out of 1000 movies I'll consider worth watching. Almost no TV is worth watching except for the History channel, and some of the Discovery channel.

Let em put a rainbow on it, they ain't a gonna get any of my money. :D

·
Registered
145 Posts
OH MY GOD....you've got to be kidding me! The more the PC crowd tries to "change" things, the more I rebel and rail against it.

I need to go find a nice T-shirt with a big Confedrate flag and wear it proudly, even though I am a Yankee. That was a war the South should've won...the problems we have now might not be so big....or at least you might be able to move to a state with laws you could live with, and not have the Feds holding everything over your head...

In any case, somebody ought to go up to these PC hollywierd types, and kick them in the nads....HARD, so they can't reproduce and contaminate whats left of my world!

·
Friend of MCMXI
8,717 Posts
Should we not study about Pearl Harbor because we don't want to offend the Japanese? WW2 'cause we don't want offen the Germans? The Confererate Flag is a part of our history. Someone said this in another thread, but these folks need to find something to do so they won't have time to nitpick.

·
Registered
12,413 Posts
pzjgr said:
OH MY GOD....you've got to be kidding me! The more the PC crowd tries to "change" things, the more I rebel and rail against it.

I need to go find a nice T-shirt with a big Confedrate flag and wear it proudly, even though I am a Yankee. That was a war the South should've won...the problems we have now might not be so big....or at least you might be able to move to a state with laws you could live with, and not have the Feds holding everything over your head...

In any case, somebody ought to go up to these PC hollywierd types, and kick them in the nads....HARD, so they can't reproduce and contaminate whats left of my world!
Hollyweird,

They're all a bunch of inbred coke smoking tards anyway. Every last one seems to be related to the other anymore. Soon they'll be so inbred they knock their blood lines out of the gene pool.

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Gave me an idea for an avatar.Flying free.:)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts