Gunco Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Friend of MCMXI
8,717 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wow, I was blown away by this! I has no idea this could do all that. Figured maybe I'd better pass in on. This was on my "What's New" section of my WalMart Homepage.

This link is not to the story below, but I think the story was based off of it.
http://webcenters.compuserve.com/wmconnect/news/package.jsp?name=news/sleepdeprived/sleepdeprived&floc=wn-wm

A Scary Consequence of Too-Little Sleep

Uh oh. If you stay up too many nights watching those late-night TV shows, it could lead to heart disease. That's the word from the Harvard Heart Letter, which warns us that skipping a good night's sleep now could lead to big health problems later.

Get just a few hours of sleep and in the short term it will cause an increase in blood pressure and a boost in the level of stress hormones. In addition, your body will have a harder time processing blood sugar, which ups your risk for diabetes. Too-little sleep also causes reduced levels of lepin, the appetite-suppressing hormone. That's right. If you don't sleep enough, you could gain weight. Over the long term, lack of sleep increases inflammation in the body, which is believed to be an important factor in the development of heart disease, reports the Harvard Heart Letter.

To get a good night's sleep, the Harvard Heart Letter recommends the following:

--Go to bed at a regular time to help set your internal clock.
--Don't drink alcohol right before bedtime. It may make you sleepy, but it will make you wake more easily in the middle of the night.
--Don't exercise within three hours of bedtime.
--Reduce your consumption of coffee, tea, and other caffeinated beverages and avoid them entirely during the afternoon and evening.

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
You woke me up to tell me that?:sleepysmi :sleepysmi

·
Registered
4,063 Posts
It doesnt mention the hallucinations or psychotic episodes that can be brought on by chronic sleeplessness.

Those can be a real bitch.

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
D.B.Cooper said:
It doesnt mention the hallucinations or psychotic episodes that can be brought on by chronic sleeplessness.

Those can be a real bitch.
Well, yeah, but the savings on the cost of dope can more than compensate for how annoying they sometimes can be. At least that's what the voices tell me.

·
DADDY WARBUCKS
19,433 Posts
D.B.Cooper said:
A vision quest perhaps?

·
deactive ~ and in trouble
1,781 Posts
I always considered the hallucinations as a bonus?
I usually paid good money for something to see some and freebies were a good thing in my book....

·
Registered
57 Posts
As a shift worker that rotates shifts every two months I am all too familiar with the effects of sleep depravation. Many studies have been done on the subject, I know it is taking a toll on me but our administration will not change to permanant shifts.:thumbsdow
I am on midnight shift now and sleep 5 hours a day on a good day.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts