Gunco Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
DADDY WARBUCKS
19,433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think it used to be 40:1 workers to recipients. Now it is 3:1.

Social Security: Where We Stand

An Open Letter to AARP Members

Dear AARP Members:

There is a lot of misinformation about Social Security. We want to make it clear where AARP stands on this issue: We stand with you.

Let's look at the facts. Social Security is the most successful program in our nation's history. It is a promise our country makes to working Americans and retirees. And a promise should not have an expiration date.

While Social Security is strong now and in no danger of going broke, it is true that the program needs some changes so it will always be able to pay full benefits for all generations of Americans-today and tomorrow. The changes needed don't have to be drastic, and the guarantee Social Security provides is one worth strengthening, not replacing. The longer we wait to do this, the more difficult the steps we will have to take.

At AARP, we have a number of good ideas on how to make the adjustments needed and would be glad to share them with you. Visit our web site at aarp.org/socialsecurity.

Our country needs a full national discussion of all the ideas on the table. One idea being put forward is in the wrong direction for fixing Social Security and will actually make the problem worse, not better. Taking some of the money that workers pay into the system and diverting it into newly created private accounts would weaken Social Security and put benefits for future generations at risk.

AARP is opposed to private accounts that take money out of Social Security.

In addition, private accounts are expensive. Just to switch to this new system could require as much as $2 trillion or more in benefit cuts, new taxes or more debt. Most of us would then have to pay twice to gamble on this new plan-first to keep our commitments to current retirees and again to pay into these private accounts. Some critics of these personal accounts think that Wall Street, not retirees, would be the real beneficiaries.

Now that Social Security has moved to the top of the political agenda, we must all work together to protect it. America must keep its promise to the retirees of today and tomorrow. We urge you to join AARP in the fight to ensure that Social Security's guaranteed and inflation-protected lifetime benefits stay in place for generations to come.

Marie Smith, President
Bill Novelli, CEO

P.S. Join us in our fight. There is too much at risk to not be involved. Go to aarp.org/socialsecurity or call (800) 846-8610 today to deliver a clear message to Congress. It is about your future and it is our fight.

·
Registered
12,413 Posts
IMHO social security is broken and if nothing else antiquated. I'm 35 and I don't want to pay into a system that wil not be there in 40 years. I also like the concept of be able to pass on my investment money when I die instead of the $255 death benefit.

If I could I would opt out and put that money in my 401k even I was forced to do so. Just let me make that decision.

Talk about the old screwing the young!

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
The only thing I could do in this thread is piss everybody off, so I'll keep my opinion to myself.

·
DADDY WARBUCKS
19,433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
AARP is a major business purporting to be an advocacy group.

They are also very anti RKBA.

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
I don't care for the AARP.

I don't care for Bush even more.

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Don't like people that claim to be something that they are not. I voted for him because Kerry would have been a disasster. If he gave me a million dollars, I still would not like him.

·
Friend of MCMXI
8,717 Posts
The thing I can't figure out, in my small town I can probably name at least 100 people that are on SSI and I probably don't know all of them. Out of the 100 I know, 2 of them are disabled. The other 98% of them suffer from the disease of laziness. Perfectly capable of working, but why bother when you can go out to the mailbox and get it. And people that deserve help are the ones that can't get it. Reminds me of a joke that's kind of funny at first, but aggrivates you when you think about it

A local town was sponsoring a hammer throwing contest. The 3 finalist were ready to see who could throw the hammer the furthest. The 1st contestant stepped up to the line, and threw the hammer 100 feet. Everyone was amazed at how far he threw the hammer. So everyone ask him "How did you learn how to hammer that far?" He answered, "Well my grandfather was an athlete, my father was an athlete, and I'm an athlete. My family has always been athletic, and that's how I threw the hammer that far."

The second contestant stepped up to the line, and threw the hammer 200 feet. Everyone was amazed that he had beaten the athlete, and they ask him "How'd you learn the throwing hammer that far?" He answered "Well my grandfather was a carpenter, my father was a carpenter, and I'm a carpenter. My family has always been carpenter's, we are used to working with hammers, and that's how I learned of her hammer that far."

The third contestant walked up to the line, and threw the hammer so far that nobody could find it. Naturally he won the contest. They ask him "How did you learn to throw a hammer that far?" He answered "Well my grandfather was on welfare, my father was on welfare, and I am on welfare. So in my family, when somebody handed you a tool for work, you threw that thing as far as you could throw it."

1 - 9 of 9 Posts