Gunco Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking to try something different on my next build and was wondering if anyone ever used an ace weld pack before on a build. If you did, did you have to weld the upper rails on or is there enough metal on there to just bend it over? Also how was it when you actually welded it together, was the bead going all the way down the receiver or did you just spot weld it in a few places? Have any problems with side plates warping during welding?
Alright, one more- what type welder did you use? Ok, i think thats it.....

-thanks

·
Premium Member
5,980 Posts
This is a weld pack from Ace.

The upper rails are a seperate piece of metal.

Continuous weld bead from the outside.

Use a keystock on the inside as a heat sink.

Tig

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,980 Posts
weld pack

Dunno if this will help but you're welcome to them.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,980 Posts
Cephus-- All the fcg parts are the same but with some mods to the receiver.

The pins held with shepard's hooks took countersinking the heads.

The selector lever left side took a washer welded to the inner sidewall.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Gunco.net is what its all about.

Thanks for the pics guys. Winn -very helpful. I only pray that my builds could ever look that good. as of now, i have no way of getting my hands on a tig weldor, just mig and gas. Cash is tight these days and i would hate to have the pack get FUBAR when I could just stick to prebent blanks instead.
I dont get how they call prebent blanks 80% when they are so far from being done. You definatly dont get anything handed to you when you deal with firearms...but we already know that...All i'm asking for is some F"N dipples for the mag :baa: atleast! :crybaby: :baa:

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
yez 'ir

Thats a great idea Cephus. Good luck. Let me know how your build is going. I'm about to start working on my lower rails tonight. If anyone is having a hard time finding them, you should check out AK-47.org. I got some and they are heavy duty. Just need to be trimmed and heat treated. (I know it doesnt belong here but I'm lazy) But if anyone is tring some methods of heat treating but nothing seems to get your lower rails hard enough...try this. Heat the metal up to a dull cherry red then quench them in (activated) charcoal. While the metal cools it absorbs carbon thus making the metal stronger then if you quenched in oil or water. Its an old blacksmith method and its cheap.
Winn R, still cant get over the job you did on that weld pack receiver.
theres work to be done. -later

·
Premium Member
5,980 Posts
Nick--

Awe shucks, it ain't nothing.

Ace asked me if they could use the picture! And I was gonna settle for being Max's groupie.:rockin:

Next thing you know I'll get me one of them fancy digital cameras. And I'll be a star!!

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
high carbon heat treat

HAHA, "a star". You guys are f'd up.
Yeah, crushed charcoal. I guess the kind for fishtanks would work, never saw it. pretty simple though, just powdered charcoal, obviously the finer the better...then completly cover the hot metal with it. LET IT COOL COMPLETLY. The guy who told me this is a master blacksmith, according to him he said it sould be in there for a week (the charcoal), but hes a real hard on so who knows. Its got to absorb into the metal, and that mostly happens when its a dull cherry color.
Jersey? Jersey is the worst. Just count your stars (i guess winn r is one of them) and be happy you live in W. Virginia. I'm in hunterdon county, probably the most rural area there is here. No one even has any idea what an 80% receiver is, much less why you would want one. yeah, jersey sucks-not much more to say.

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
Cephus said:
Nick I saw were This one guy took 1/8th in washer made the dimple shape out of it and tack welded it in place for the dimples. He says it works great I think I'm going to try that on my first build. If you've heard of anything else please let me know ,But that's what I'm going with at this time.
Cephus,

Do you know if this would be feasible for a bent blank with no dimples? I am very interested in this also. Do you know where these guys were posting about this? I'm sure there are others who might would likt to try the same thing.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Vital Questions

how did much did that spiffy RPK cost?
What do you do once the receiver from ACE is welded and all holes are drilled?

Also, what guides/ books/ videos did you follow when building your AK?

Can you post more pics? :biggun:

·
Premium Member
5,980 Posts
demh8r said:
how did much did that spiffy RPK cost?
What do you do once the receiver from ACE is welded and all holes are drilled?
I dislike dem dems too

Actually in dollars it was pretty cheap. The new arsenal milled RPK's are over $1200 -- I'd be surprised if I've got $400 in this. Check on ace's web site for the receiver costs. Most of the rest of it was scrounged: the smooth cover and holed gas tube came from a Bulgarian milled. The barrel was from I/O, the furniture came from a guy in Minnesota named Bob. I think the rear trunnion was from K Var. Trigger group was Tapco. I think it was Global on the muzzle break.

Since this one was going to look as if it was milled, the barrel was put in the trunnion and head spaced prior to the trunnion going into the receiver-- then we could weld through and I would not have to cleanup a mess on the inside of the trunnion.

And if all this sounds like Greek, stick around and ask them questions -- buy a kit give it a try!

·
Premium Member
5,980 Posts
That's the cover everything, do everything, wonder finish in a can; Aluma Hyde two. The color is stainless steel.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts