6 - Unborn Victims of Violence Act
7 - Freedom to Travel
8 - Secrecy of the Intelligence Budget
9 - Media Ownership Rules

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
Very cool, Custer. Thanks.

I'm familiar with all but #8 and #9, pleased to see that the ACLU has deemed #1-7 as priority issues.

Do you know what #8 and #9 is about?

Although one thing I haven't yet figured out for myself is abortion issues with regard to minors: I don't have a daughter, but I would probably do mean things to any physician who performed any non-emergency medical procedure on her without my consent.

·
DADDY WARBUCKS
19,433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Very brief on 8 & 9:

They don't like black budget items in intelligence or defense spending. They want it all in the open. National security be damed. I think they consider any and all uses of the phrase national security to be an abuse and coverup.

Media ownership is a reaction to right wing talk radio and consolidations such as Clear Channel Communications.

·
DADDY WARBUCKS
19,433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Dzerzhinsky said:
Although one thing I haven't yet figured out for myself is abortion issues with regard to minors: I don't have a daughter, but I would probably do mean things to any physician who performed any non-emergency medical procedure on her without my consent.
Well, Smeg, apparently if you are in school in CA, you are a ward of the state and your parents don't figure into the equation.

ACLJ Calls Opinion by California Attorney General to Require Schools to Keep Student Medical Information -- Including Abortions -- from Parents `Outrageous' and `Dangerous'
Friday December 3, 11:21 am ET

WASHINGTON--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Dec. 3, 2004--The American Center for Law and Justice, specializing in constitutional law, said today that an opinion issued by the California Attorney General requiring schools not to tell parents when their child is excused from school for medical appointments - including abortions - is not only wrong but outrageous and dangerous.
"This legal opinion does not protect students' privacy rights - it violates the rights of parents," said Jay Sekulow, Chief Counsel of the ACLJ. "The Supreme Court has long recognized that parents have a fundamental right to direct the upbringing of their children - including their education, well-being, and safety. Students do not become wards of the state simply by attending public school, which after all, is paid for with tax dollars from their parents. To keep this medical information from parents is not only wrong, but outrageous and dangerous. This is another example of the pro-abortion lobby imposing its twisted policies on taxpayers through the school system. Congress is already considering federal legislation that would require schools to communicate with parents on these issues. We will work for passage of that legislation when the new Congressional session gets underway."

The American Center for Law and Justice is based in Washington, D.C. and online at www.aclj.org.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts