Gunco Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
It has been said that the AK47 was a copy of the Sturmgewehr (StG 44) if you take both guns apart you can see they are not copies but totally separate original creations. They were made to do the same job so the size & function had to be the same. The stg 44 is closer to the SKS than the AK47.

·
Registered
10,586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The AK appears to have been inspired by the stg 44. The overall design features of the stg 44 and the AK are similar: reduced power cartridge, stamped receiver with trunions, gas system above the barrel, similar type sights, pistol grip, detachable magazine, straight stock and heavy bolt carrier. However, the receiver design, bolt type, fire control group, safety, magazine catch, bolt carrier handle are very different and no ejection port cover on the AK.

·
aka: SDK1968
7,931 Posts
yeah im gonna pass on this as a real thing.

the only real sims to them is 30 cal family & stamped shells.

Reactions: Tommo

·
Registered
10,586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I read Hugo Schmeisser, designer of the Stg 44 and his design team were captured by the Russkies and worked at the same arsenal as Kalashnikov. My suspicious mind wonders if it was really Hugo and his boys who designed the AK.

·
gunco irregular
3,638 Posts
I read Hugo Schmeisser, designer of the Stg 44 and his design team were captured by the Russkies and worked at the same arsenal as Kalashnikov. My suspicious mind wonders if it was really Hugo and his boys who designed the AK.
On one hand you have a highly experienced team of weapons designers and on the other hand you have a tractor mechanic with a 7th grade education.

I think this sums it up.

An 86-year-old man went to his doctor for his quarterly check-up...
The doctor asked the man how he was feeling, and the 86-year-old said, "things are great, and I've never felt better! I now have a 20-year-old bride who is pregnant with my child. What do you think about that, doc?"
The doctor considered the question for a minute, and then began to tell a story.
"I have an older friend, much like you, who is an avid hunter and never misses a season. One day he was setting off to go hunting. In a bit of a hurry, he accidentally picked up his walking cane instead of his gun."
"As he neared a lake, he came across a very large male beaver sitting at the water's edge. He realized he left his gun at home, and so, he couldn't shoot the magnificent creature. Out of habit he raised his cane, aimed it at the animal as if it was his favorite hunting rifle, and yelled 'bang bang'. Miraculously, two shots rang out and the beaver fell dead."
"Now, what do you think of that?" asked the doctor.
The 86-year-old replied, "logic would strongly suggest that somebody else pumped a few rounds into that beaver."
The doctor replied, "my point exactly."

1 - 13 of 13 Posts