Gunco Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
AK Carbon Fiber Receiver ? like the AR Carbon 15 receiver . can one be made in a home shop ? all input welcome, Thank You, Conley

·
Registered
12,413 Posts
I don't see why not since I have seen articles in car mags on how to make CF peices for air cleaners, interior, and even intakes.

Someone has to be a pioneer, right?

What's cool is you could bond the rails right to the receiver body with the epoxy used for CF. Infact, I think this is one of the more realistic ideas I have heard lately.

Now my brain is rolling into gear...

·
Registered
12,413 Posts
Cephus said:
I seem to remember some bonding of something and a headache,Do you remember that
so lets be careful about that stuff. OK
Roger that! I really made myself sick that weekend and it has shyed me away from working on that until spring.

·
Gunco Samurai
3,340 Posts
Wouldn't using such a light material really increase felt recoil?

·
Registered
12,413 Posts
Polish Taipan said:
Wouldn't using such a light material really increase felt recoil?
Probably, but that could be dealt with in a couple of ways.

Lead shot in your stock parts to get it up to standard weight.

There was a thread long ago about a guy who was drilling and tapping the front of teh gasblock and installing different sized Holley carb jets until he got the correct perfomance and nice recoil. That could be done on a light rifle, but you talk about recoil, what about a Marlin lever action 336 in 30/30? Light rifle and high recoil, It's one reason I parted with it and don't forget M44's!

I think it would be okay in the end.

·
Gunco Samurai
3,340 Posts
LOL I could proabably stand some time behind a 50 or a 12 gauge. I'll have to pick up one of the Saiga 12's before they are all gone.

·
Registered
2,607 Posts
what is the advantage of the carbon fiber? how much weight could you save by using it?

·
Registered
12,413 Posts
WC846 said:
what is the advantage of the carbon fiber? how much weight could you save by using it?
You might save half a pound? But making it in your shop is the big benefit.

From what I have read you use glass to make a nice flat sheet of it. I'm not sure what you would have to do to form it form a receiver shape.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
How about useing CF for a Protoype 9mm Krinkov pistol build ? all input welcome . Thank You, Conley

·
Registered
2,607 Posts
SangRun Hunter said:
You might save half a pound? But making it in your shop is the big benefit.
it sounds like fun, but i think i'll stick with aluminum.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
How about CF for the Duble Stacked Mag Project ? custom Krinkov handgards ? Krinkov receiver ? RPK receiver ? all input welcome .Thank You, Conley

·
Gunco Samurai
3,340 Posts
Do you work with CF Conley? I think just about anything CF is cool, being a cyclist of sorts. Yeah carbon fiber quad stack mags, that would be cool.

·
Registered
102 Posts
you could make a mold off of a receiver,dimples and all and lay up CF inside the mold to make a receiver.lower rails and holes in the receiver may need some thought.maybe a 7 part mold all 4 sides and 3 part insert. rick

·
Gunco Irregular
4,323 Posts
WC846 said:
That is what I was thinking. I like new technology, but the AK is sort of anti-tech, and that's what I like about it. But hey, that's how cool stuff gets made, by people like Conley that think outside the conventional.

·
Registered
2,607 Posts
what happens to the carbon fiber when the gun gets really really hot?

·
Friend of MCMXI
8,717 Posts
Cephus said:
Just shoot some 3 1/2 in. 12 ga mags for awhile you'll never notice it.
Those things don't kick..........They bulldoze!

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Grendeljaeger - Tank You . no it dose not get that Hot - unless your are doing full auto and the barrel is the Hot Part - Yes Thanks for all of the good input - Looks like a lot of good Projects can be done with CF - :thumbup1: all input welcome - Thank You, Conley

·
Registered
217 Posts
The carbon fiber itself can take the heat what is important is the type of resin that is used. Where I work ( a leading composite aircraft company) we use several types of resin some of which are very heat resistant. Our engine cowls and baffle are made from carbon fiber! Carbon fiber is some great stuff, I always thought a set of CF handgaurds and buttstock would be cool!
Bill M.

·
Registered
202 Posts
I hope its ok to resurrect this thread.

Ever since reading the toothpick thread I have been thinking about carbon fiber.

Use some heat treated metal inserts around the pin holes and the trunnion holes.

It would be thicker then a .050 metal receiver so I would make longer pins and fab up a new selector.

Would also like to do the furniture in CF. Would make molds from the wooden bits I have. Was thinking about sticking a metal/aluminum tube down the center of the butt stock mold to provide some reenforcing.

So has anyone done a CF receiver yet?
Thoughts?

Pete

1 - 20 of 32 Posts