Gunco Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bent a couple of new TAPCO flats today... I think they came out rather dashing, if I do say so myself...

Anyhow, they're not perfect. One looks like I lined everything up very well, while another flat has a slight shift to it... i.e., when you look down into the receiver, the holes/clip hole/etc is shifted ever so slightly to the left. Not by much mind you... I'll have to get my calipers out when I get home and see how far.

To someone not looking for a problem, they probably wouldn't even notice it.

So my question is (coming from someone who has not actually built an AK yet, hopefully soon!) how far off can you be? All the holes in the sides look like they'll line up nicely regardless. I can even put the two flats side by side and I could even put a thin dowel through all 4 holes.

Anyhow... I can't find much information on this. Figured the tolerences can't be too tight, seeing as how we're banging over the top rails with a hammer, and flatening them out... heh....

Thanks in advance.. everyone here has been overly helpfull, and hence why I'm ready to jump into this :)

I'll have pictures up tomorrow.. need to resize them.

Painthappy

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
without seeing it in hand I think an alignment test is in order. dry fit and see . you may be able to adjust a bit . or it may be wise to start again. put your trunions in with nails or something to hold them temp. and see if the carrier moves rite . I find a good tell tale is the top cover, I had a twisted reciever and I bent it back , it was very clear when looking at the top cover. Good luck , and not a bad start honestly.

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
I think the AK is a lot more forgiving than you might think.. If the bolt slides in the rails, it should work?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies... I uploaded the pictures...

I have hotlinking turned off on my server, so I can't post the pictures using an image tag, but you can click the link:

http://www.mcarterbrown.com/ak/Receiver1.jpg

http://www.mcarterbrown.com/ak/Receiver2.jpg

http://www.mcarterbrown.com/ak/Receiver3.jpg

That was the first one I did... I think the second one (no pictures) came out even better. I'll do some testing and some fitting shortly, but my clip fits in very nicely. This is going to be part of my AMD-63 build. I also found someone locally that will harden my receivers completely for next to nothing.

My wife just shakes her head when she hears me go on and on about it, and I have all of you to blame :)

Painthappy

·
Gunco Irregular
4,323 Posts
Painthappy said:
My wife just shakes her head when she hears me go on and on about it, and I have all of you to blame :)
Painthappy
Tell her the next build is hers, and you want her to build it with you. My wife still rolls her eyes now and then, but she is hooked on building with me. If that doesn't work do like I do and just blame Cephus!! :lol: :lol:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts