Gunco Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In general would anyone reccomend getting a pso 4x scope for an ak? Ive heard more people say that they are pointless than they are helpful. Should I just hold out for a red dot like a kobra? Oh ya the model Im considering is a pso-v model made specifically for the ak and has a longer eye relief than the non-v model.

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
I dont know if a #4 is a pos. that is what goes on a Romak . I am very happy with it. it makes hitting those lil white bottels easy. actualy I am just about to make a post on this very subject.

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
Vis...
That scope mount looks more expensive that the rifle. Very nice.

·
Registered
717 Posts
I spent less than $50.00 on it and just a few hours of work. Works really well and believe me or not you can still use your iron sights. Here's another version of it with a red dot sight.

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
what did you make the mount from,and where did you get it from? it looks KICK ASS!

·
Gunco Irregular
4,323 Posts
Vis you just do excellent work!! I have been impressed every time you post pics of your projects!! :kewlpics:

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
Yeah, I had seen pic of Vis's setup over at Brand X. Exceptionally good work.

Regarding scoping an AK...

Purists seem to be apalled by the very idea. Folks like me with middle-aged eyes and who have become incapable of good accuracy with open sights, hitting the target becomes a bit of a priority over purity of purpose.

With a 7.62 AK, approach it as though you were scoping a .30-30. Which, to me, means that nothing over 4X makes any sense for field use.

Downside of Eastern Bloc optics is they sport those damned rubber eyepieces because of their short eye relief and without it you'll bloody your eyebrow. You speak of the one you're thinking of as having longer eye-relief. Is it long enough that it no longer needs the eyepiece?

My AK's scoped - have a SAR-3 with a ZFK 4X25 on it. Previously had a PO 3.5X17 ("Russian Elcan"), which I think is the second-best scope for an AK. The former is no longer available on the retail market, the latter is heavy at 1 kg. and expensive.

Short version being...

Your scope choice makes sense, although you may want to consider a Kobra or a red dot or some such.

·
Registered
717 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Guys,

Just a thought. What about putting a weaver rail on the top cover and a red dot? cheap, centered over bore, use see through rings. a little drilling, red lock tight or brazing.

Any thought?

·
Registered
152 Posts
I always thought that mounting anything on the cover was not a good idea,
cover moves too much and it would never zero..But I have seen lots of pics,where peeps have done it.

·
Registered
34 Posts
After i wrote that I thought the same thing about the recoil vibration or impact and keeping zero. My other thought was to mount it on the top forgrip. This would serve well for holo or red dot sight. It sure seems a bit of a pain to have to use the side mount and I still want the availability of using iron sights. There must be an easier and cheaper way to mount them. I like the challenge of coming up with something new. I am going to have to give it more thought.

·
Happy Camper
7,794 Posts
If anything goes on the top cover, that top cover really needs to be fastened in at least two places, using either a Krinkov-style hinge on the front, or a Polish-style lock at the rear.

I don't recall but I think the Galil and Valmet rifles have a better fit in the back of the top cover making them fit "precise" vs. a normal AK, which on mine are pretty sloppy, especially my Chinese rifles.

·
Registered
717 Posts
45leadslinger said:
After i wrote that I thought the same thing about the recoil vibration or impact and keeping zero. My other thought was to mount it on the top forgrip. This would serve well for holo or red dot sight. It sure seems a bit of a pain to have to use the side mount and I still want the availability of using iron sights. There must be an easier and cheaper way to mount them. I like the challenge of coming up with something new. I am going to have to give it more thought.
http://www.gunsnet.net/forums/showthread.php?t=106553

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
I dunno, I'm a big fan of quick-detachable siderail mounting on AK's. I have a ZFK 4X25 and a Kobra, and both retain zero upon removal-and-replacement.

And I am decidedly not a fan of sighting systems that allow simultaneous access to optics and to iron sights; I like a solid cheek weld for each, and such a system invariably means that one cannot obtain a solid cheek weld for the higher optics (where, because of parallax, a cheek-weld is much more important than with iron sights). I have a detachable cheekpiece on my AK that I take off when I want to use iron sights.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I have been looking at red dot type sights for my Ak74 from Kalinka Optics...anyone have experience with the various types? I can not recall the designations right now.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Dude, where's your post?

Dzerzhinsky said:
I dunno, I'm a big fan of quick-detachable siderail mounting on AK's. I have a ZFK 4X25 and a Kobra, and both retain zero upon removal-and-replacement.

And I am decidedly not a fan of sighting systems that allow simultaneous access to optics and to iron sights; I like a solid cheek weld for each, and such a system invariably means that one cannot obtain a solid cheek weld for the higher optics (where, because of parallax, a cheek-weld is much more important than with iron sights). I have a detachable cheekpiece on my AK that I take off when I want to use iron sights.
Ah, here it is http://www.gunco.net/forums/showthread.php?t=3574

As soon as someone makes a receiver sight that attaches via the optical rail of the AK, I'm buying one. I think there'd be a good market.
(Dzerzhinsky)

Yeah baby, that's the ticket! We need to get some of these Gunco engineers on this ASAP, they should probably apply for patents too so "noone" else grabs their design. I see great potential, hopefully some of the talented boyz with machine shop toyz do too. Optics are fine, I really wanna play with a plain 4x POSP-type on a 74 but the rail mount receiver sight sounds excellent.

Anyone?

·
Registered
107 Posts
Dzerzhinsky said:

I'm also a big fan of the QD siderail setup, my Dragunovs, AKs & Saiga shotguns all have them. The Kobra used to be my fav AK optic until I tried the PK-AS. It sits low/left (lower than the Kobra), is very rugged (accidentally dropped one 4.5' onto concrete w/o damage or loss of zero), doesn't need batteries for daytime use, has an excellent circle/dot reticle & doesn't obstruct the irons so they're always available for backup use (good cheekweld using either, even with the Romy folder I favor). The only downside is that it's designed to be used w/the left eye and some people find that difficult to cope with (you can use it w/the right eye but then you have little/no cheekweld).
Tomac

1 - 20 of 23 Posts