Gunco Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I devised a way to make a pin press with no special material or mill shop needed.
First off, go to the local hardware store and buy a 1/2" by 2 1/2" stainless hex bolt or (grade 5). Using a bench grinder, grind the threads off approx. 1 1/2" up the shank of the bolt about the same size or a little smaller than the pin itself in diameter. The grinding heats the steel and anneals it a little making it stronger.
Next I used three peices of scrap 3/4" (oak) plywood and cut them all the same width and length at approx. 3" by 4". I used two deck screws to marry them together top and bottom, making on solid block of wood. Then I drilled a 1/2" hole in the center all the way through the block. And there's the jig.

To press:
I used a medium size secured bench vise.
Here's the tricky part, You may need an extra set of hands. So get the wife off the couch. Put the receiver/trunion or trunion and barrel (depending on your kit) in the vise. Have your "other set of hands" steady the block in the vise with the hole on the left side of the trunion (the hole is so you will have the room in the vise when the pin presses out). Next, line the bolt up against the pin and inbetween the other jaw of the vise. Make sure that the pin is centered in the vise and on the pin. Snug down on the vise handle with light pressure (just enoough to keep the receiver,block and bolt from falling out of the vise.
Ok, Now your ready to press. Start slow with firm pressure to become confident that the bolt is not going anywhere. Make sure everything is clear on the trunion/receiver,sight block, etc. Tighten the vise untill the pin in the barrel breaks free. Don't worry about the rivets on the outside of the receiver they should sink (without damage) into the block of wood while tightning. Using a two pound hammer or anything lying around heavy and tapp on the handle untill the pin presses through the trunion (about half way). Remove everything from the vise, and tap with a punch and hammer to completely remove the pin.
I tryed my best to explain this as easy as possable. All measurements are approx. It's mostly the common since that plays the part it this method.
Hope this works for some of you...It did me!
-Shadow-

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
sounds like a good idea.. thanks

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sang,
How to improvise (you and I) is the question here.....On this part anyway. That's really neat! I've never seen this post, But yet we came up with the same idea/method. Really ironic...In a good way!
That's showing how much we think a like on here.
Great pics! And most of all, it seems like common sense. That is after you screw up a few times. It slaps you in the face. Why didn't I think of that?!? I wish that I would have seen yours first, that way I could have given you all the credit.
Thanks,
-Shadow-

·
Registered
12,413 Posts
No prob Shadow,

Common sense and some forget that a vise can be a mini press when needed.

My Dad thought of the way to locate the truninon holes in about 2 minutes when I asked him.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts