Gunco Forums banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I started a AK pistol tonight. well I get a reciever at least. my ffl asked me if I wanted it registered as a hand gun and I said ok at the last moment.
now I need INFO... law info and build info. I know some members here have built them so I hope to learn from you guys. :thankyou: holbarrel , maby the short hot barrel

·
Registered
211 Posts
Well I dunno how much you do or don't know about building pistols, so I'll just give ya what I know.

You don't have to put your compliance parts sets in pistols, as AWB has sunset'd and the old law only pertained to rifles anyway. The only restriction AWB had on pistols is that it (semi auto pistols) could not weigh more than 50oz if it didn't load the magazines in through the grip. So you can use the factory trigger that comes with your kit. Odds are good that this trigger will be a zillion times better than a century trigger (unless you get an AMD65 kit with the gay Century trigger pack).

How short are you wanting your barrel to be ? If you're satisfied with 12.5", just use an AMD65 kit. If you've got access to a lathe and all that, you could make it as short as you want. To make it shorter, you must move the gas port back, which, of course means you'll have to shorten your piston. Depending on how far back you want your gas port to be, you may have to lathe your barrel down because it (the barrel) changes diameters. It gets a shade bigger where your handguard retainer is.

I ran into this problem too, but my previous project was a complete disaster. I'm going to have to start all over. Hint: Never use an ARC welder on AK parts. I'm not sure what the hell happened, but the steel melted down to NOTHING. I'm not even sure it's steel !! I had some lower temp rods and my ampers set down to 45 and it still burned the gas port completely up. Anyway, good luck on your build.

:drunk:

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
Ooooohhh........Say, an AK pistol huh? Hmmm.......now there's an idea! That would rock! Hmmmm......AMD-65 kit, no mods to barrel, no compliance parts....hum.
Can I use the front foregrip that comes with the kit?
How does one seal up the back of the reciever? I'm assuming just put a rifle style rear trunnion with the stock retaining parts ground off, unless someone is making a pistol rear trunnion?
Wow.....my mind is on freakin overdrive here, I've always thought the AMD folding stock pretty much useless anyway....shoud be pretty contollable with both grips and a red dot site installed.
Hum...accurate enough at pistol ranges, short and compact, heavy, but would help with the recoil...
This bears watching.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I am interested in doing an AMD pistol as well...I know the receiver has to be registered as a pistol, however, I am assuming that it is completely legal to convert this pistol into a rifle if I ever wanted to if I use compliance parts and extend the barrel, or not use compliance parts and register it as a SBR. AM I correct in my thinking? I mean they sell plenty of pistol to rifle conversions for 1911s and glocks.

·
Registered
75 Posts
cammobunker said:
Can I use the front foregrip that comes with the kit?
That you can't do, becomes a AOW if you do.

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
OK, I've got the standard wooden foregrip from a AK of undetermined manufacture here then. Hmmm....guess I'll have to design a heatshield for the gas tube too.

·
Registered
75 Posts

Don't I WISH they were mine.

They are pics of other peoples builds I've collected for inspiration in my attempts.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Hotbarrel - " my ffl asked me if I wanted it registered as a hand gun and I said ok at the last moment. "

magicald_223 - "I know the receiver has to be registered as a pistol "

There is no legal requirement to "register the receiver as a pistol" !

The only requirement is that the reciver NEVER have had a rifle stock attached to it , thus avoiding the classification (and $200 making tax) as a NFA Short Barrelled Rifle.

The "register as a pistol" thing seems to be a recent internet invention , and totally unneccessary.

However , if you want to , go ahead. The actual notation the FFL s-h-o-u-l-d be making is , "bare receiver" . The FFL c-o-u-l-d run into problems by marking it as a complete rifle or complete pistol , as there has been no excise tax paid on the bare receiver and an over zealous ATFE agent could assert that he is manufacturing (which his regular FFL liscense doesn't cover).

Point: To keep everyone legal bare receivers should be logged in the FFL's book as , "bare receiver".

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
triangle.. I am not shure about any of that. .. he asked and I said pistol. too late now.
as for rear trunion.. a polish foledr trunion . all I have to do is change rivet holes and it has a flat back allready. option two is to cut standard tang and weld on a back plate.
this is still prety far off but I am thinking something like a 4" or 6" barrel. I will have to check the stroke required to get a full cycle.

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
I was reading on AR15.com some of this same dialogue. From what I can gather, there has been a letter that someone got in response to this, and basically as long as the receiver(even if registered as a rifle) has never been built into a rifle...it can be built into a pistol. Then you say well why in the hell are all these companies charging extra for "pistol" receivers. In fact, I am buying a stripped AR-15 receiver from a dealer on AR15.net, and they charged $20 or so to have it registered at the manufacturer as a pistol. From what I can tell, you can build a pistol without it being logged as a pistol from the manufacturer. The advantage to having it logged as a pistol from the manufacturer is that if there ever were another law, like '94 AWB, the history of the pistol could be verified through the manufacturer.

An AR15.com's member(grimaila) questioned the $30 upcharge for the pistol price and this is the response from the dealer:

"This is the added price. For any future verification that is need down the road. Like say, 10 years later when we get a letter or call and we need to have someone take an hour or two out of his or her day to research this because the original buyer lost his or her paperwork? That sounds fair doesn't it?"

So your $30 an hour will be going to some guy who makes more than I do an hour to look up a serial number. In all honesty, I think it is nice to have this added information at the manufacturer, but don't believe it is worth the extra cost. It think this is just an easy way to get people to pay extra money who may not know that you can build one without it being registered at the manfacturer.

·
Master Endmill Breaker
1,367 Posts
mac1010 said:
Is it legal to use the front pistol grip on an AMD pistol?
Only if you submit to fingerprinting, background check, $200 tax for manufacture, and various other assorted NFA restrictions. Using a forward pistol grip on a pistol makes it an AOW (Any Other Weapon) and subject to NFA taxes and restrictions. It's $200 to make an AOW, but only $5 to transfer. If a gunsmith builds an AOW for you, he will definitely add the $200 to your price in addition to build costs. Then you'll have to do the paperwork and pay the $5 tax to the Feds. If you build an AOW, you pay the $200 to the Feds.

Do not use a forward pistol grip. Replace the perforated metal handguard with a standard AK handguard set. A standard AK gas tube can be easily be cut to the length of the AMD-65 gas system and the end flared to fit the gas block. This will allow you to use the upper handguard on an AMD-65.

Ultimak makes a AMD-65 length gas tube now. This is a rather expensive option to avoid modifying a gas tube...

Also, make sure that the rear block is modified so that there is no way to attach a stock. AMD-65 rear blocks can have a patch welded over the stock notch fairly easily. This gives you an easy place to install a sling swivel if desired.

·
Premium Member
7,143 Posts
So even though the yellow form at the dealer says rifle on it, as long as it was never built into a rifle, it is ok to build a pistol? Example being - I have a few vulcan receivers that are still bare and sitting in my gun safe, they can be either or? I'm just trying to make sure that I understand this one correctly - especially with the many discussions about this subject on the different forums.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Interesting topic, posting to keep the updates fresh by e-mail.

This really, really makes me regret not buying one of the Chinese "krink" kits that were floating around over the past several years. Nice set-up with standard sights and stubby little handguards. Lost my pics to a crash but they were perfect for pistol builds, between NFA laws and the AWB / 50oz. rule kept the prices pretty reasonable....

·
Premium Member
4,996 Posts
AK pistols

Hi all,
I am a newbie here. Decided to get back into guns after a 15 year absence. I just sold off my ww2 bolt guns for a whole pile more than I expected and am buying some new toys. I am considering building an ak 74 and have a receiver ordered, has anyone bought from Akron Armoury? are the reputable? Also is anyone making AK pistols?
It is my understanding that in addition to weight restrictions the pistol must have a non removable mag and can not be semi- Auto. Is this correct?
Any information will be appreciated

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
Pirate, glad to see you here on the board. I'm not familiar with all of the laws, but I was under the impression that the weight restrictions had disappeared along with the AWB. Detachable mag? I thought this was OK too. There are some others that could be more informative than myself on this topic.

·
Loaner
5,358 Posts
Welcome Pirate, Yosuth...the detachable mag comes down to local and state laws I think. Anyway here is the cliff's notes of the above:
1) AK pistols are now legal:) They are not bound by US parts counts, they may not have a forward pistol/vertical grips unless they are registered as AOW's.
2) The reciever if I am not mistaken should be registered as a pistol with your FFL. I know it must be a "virgin" receiver for it is illegal to covert a rifle to a pistol.
3)You must have a rear trunion of some sort to catch the top cover, but it may not accept any kind of stock. This is easy enough, just cut the stock of an AMD 65 folder and grind down the lump.

And Pirate, I have built one AK-74 and love it:) Really if you want a parts kit I would check out DPHarms he is a sponsor here and a great guy to deal with.

·
Premium Member
4,996 Posts
hi Magnus,
Where did you get your info? I have been searching the BATF site but can't find muh there. Found some info on an ar site that has lots of restrictions on the build. I checked DPH, the stufff looks good but he has no Phone # that I could find on his site. To me that is not a good sign. I have a receiver on order for an ak74 and plan on ordering another ak 47 from vulcan and will get is classified as a pistol. I remember from when I had my license years ago that all parts for a pistol had to be new, not salvaged from a rifle.
Thanks for the input

1 - 20 of 38 Posts