Gunco Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Chinese Connection
2,094 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got these long rivets from the group buy at "other site " , and I am use plinker762's Rivets press, I just can not get the rivets press right, the head is fine, but the the other end just don't look round enough, any tips will help

·
Registered
825 Posts
Bluejack said:
I got these long rivets from the group buy at "other site " , and I am use plinker762's Rivets press, I just can not get the rivets press right, the head is fine, but the the other end just don't look round enough, any tips will help
I just flatten one side. You can only see one side at a time :)

·
Chinese Connection
2,094 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I am build the Romak 3 too , I want make look nice

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
Can you post a picture? I'd like to see what the non-rivet head end looks like.

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
I agree with Toten Kopf I would like to see the inside head you have.
I expect the inside, or the crushed side to end up nice and round but flat. if it is round that conferms it has crushed evenly and it looks nice.

·
Chinese Connection
2,094 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
here is the pictures guys, this was AMD-63,and has two long rear rivets, most AK only had one, I just like to know it anyway to make look nice and round. the Rivets does not see long enough, so I have press harder, opps

Attachments

·
Happy Camper
7,794 Posts
Looks fine to me. I read on Tantal's side that some of those long rivets actually don't have round heads but flat heads. I hammered the crap out of the flat head on the anvil of my vise - worked out fine.

·
Registered
2,836 Posts
the probem may be that the rivet is bending in the trunion. So that you are not getting enough of the rivet end to make a head. Be careful that you don't keep pressing the rivet to a point that causes damage to the receiver. In my opinion as long as you are getting protrusion on the other side and can make a head even thought it is flat, you are ok. You can even go so far as to clean it up with a small file like one from a needle file set. Jack

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
I posted this someplace else but here it is again. my last build I used the gb rivets and they are a bit longer it seems. I ended up with a hammered head that was round BUT not a half ball at all. what I did was to drill a small hole into the corner of a piece of flat stock, then countersink the small hole. continue countersinking till the large diameter is the same as the outside diameter as the new formed rivet head. then press the head into the countersink hole. this will taper over the sides pretty well. you do not need to press hard, I did it by hand in the arbor press. the heads came out pretty nice.
I have to say your heads look nice as is, realy. my heads looked like a dowel not a mushroom cap. but after they went into the countersunk hole it made all the diferance.
If you realy wanted to go all out I think you could do a second forming step the same way but grind a rounded hole in the plate and very carefully press or tap into it. It all depends on how far you want to go you could carefully use a jewlers file to realy make it look nice as a final step too I guess.

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
Another thing that I rembered , one time I had a rivet that seemed too short after a had it hammered down. it was in tight and properly but did not have enough head to look nice. I put a drop of weld on it with the TIG welder, just for looks and it came out great. one nice round drop, all done :smile:

·
Registered
83 Posts
What kind of arbor press are you using for the trunnion rivets? I don't like the results I'm getting with a hammer on long rivets, but don't really want to get a big press.

hotbarrel said:
......I did it by hand in the arbor press. the heads came out pretty nice.

·
Happy Camper
7,794 Posts
bbowling said:
What kind of arbor press are you using for the trunnion rivets? I don't like the results I'm getting with a hammer on long rivets, but don't really want to get a big press.
I recall 1-Pat stated many moons ago that he drilled a small hole like a #48 bit size into the rivet shank to get it to smash easier, and said it worked well. This was way back when he was experimenting with using the press to press the rivets - about 1.5 - 2 years ago. May be worth a shot.

When I did my AK-103 clone, the factory Bulgarian rivets were really easy to rivet, and so were the 5/32" rivets I got from McMaster-Carr. I think they are a softer metal than the group buy rivets, which seem to be very difficult to smash in comparison.

I concur with all the length comments - too long and the rivet will bend (instead of smash) if you are even slightly off-center.

I've been using a 4lb. HF sledge and it seems to work well for me. Somewhat of a pain, but it works.

hth,
- Jerry

·
Registered
83 Posts
I wonder if something like this would work? It is a HF 1 ton arbor press.

Has anyone tried doing the long through the trunnion rivets with one of these?

Price is 40 bucks. They also have a 1/2 ton press for about 30 bucks.

·
Registered
314 Posts
I have just started practicing with a couple of the long group buy rivets and Plinkers jig. The allens that screw in the base and the arm that sticks out of the press are a little different. I found by swapping the two I got a better squish, might try it?

·
Registered
83 Posts
Thanks for the tip. I'm not currently using Plinker's jig. I am using HCPookie's rivet squeezers for the short rivets and a big hammer for the long ones. I have a HF 12 ton pipe bender, that I think I'm going to experiment with. It is basically a short hydraulic press upside down. I think I can make a deck for the top of the ram and a tool holder that will hang from above. As I extend the ram it should push the workpiece up against the tool. If it works, I'll post pics.

·
Registered
41 Posts
The preformed heads on my rivets have a flat spot like that. I don't think you can squeeze them hard enough to remove it. Personally, I would "press" on and not sweat it.

·
Registered
704 Posts
Those heads are better than anything that ever came of Romania.I wish mine would come out that nice.

·
Registered
4 Posts
What happened?

What did all that damage to the receiver around the rivet? Are you using a press or some other device to do the rivets?

Bluejack said:
here is the pictures guys, this was AMD-63,and has two long rear rivets, most AK only had one, I just like to know it anyway to make look nice and round. the Rivets does not see long enough, so I have press harder, opps

1 - 18 of 18 Posts