Gunco Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It ain't like the whittling my Grandpa taught me, but I think I got the job done. I'm looking for suggestions on filling that void with either a Surefire or a Streamlight, or any other 1" dia light that might be out there. Opinions are appreciated. I'm also looking for the best way to finish it....anodizing...powdercoating?

Attachments

·
Gunco Irregular
4,323 Posts
How does it go on the barrel? Is it open on the left side or did you have to take the gasblock off to install it? It looks good, and being aluminum, shouldn't add much weight. I don't usually like a bunch of stuff hanging off a rifle, but that said, the probabilities are good that if you ever need your rifle it will be dark out so I believe it's a good idea. Nice work!

·
Registered
954 Posts
Good looking piece. My vote is for powder coat. BTW, do you have a light that fits the bracket? I look foward to seeing the finished product with light installed.

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the comments guys....here's a pic of the underside. The mount splits in half and is held togther by the 2 allen screws you see in the pic. I'm leaning more toward powdercoating it flat black. I was hoping to find someone with some side by side comparisons for the different lights. A powerful light illuminating your target at night is a very reassuring feeling.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,980 Posts
That's a neat piece of gear!

I like how you slotted it to reduce the weight. Did you do that on a milling machine or by hand?

·
Happy Camper
7,794 Posts
If it were ME, I'd anodize it. The good thing about anodizing, is that you can add colors in the anodizing process, so this would be the *BEST* solution all-around.

Most people use RIT dye to do so but that is an organic dye and will eventually fade in sunlight - arguably not an issue here - but some choose inorganic dyes because of that. If it were a car part I'd be more concerned about that. They do make dyes for anodizing, but they are expensive. RIT dye is probably the best method... you just anodize the part, then add the dye to the boiling water.

Before you anodize, keep in mind that the anodizing will add a few mills to the size, so depending on how tight a fit you have, you may need to polish out the ID before you do. But then again maybe not.

http://www.mini-lathe.com/Anodizing/anodizing_aluminum.htm

·
Premium Member
5,980 Posts
Vis said:
Aluma-hyde ?
Always worked for me.

On objects big and small,

Guns, tools, children, dogs,

It'll cover all.

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Winn R said:
That's a neat piece of gear!

I like how you slotted it to reduce the weight. Did you do that on a milling machine or by hand?

Thanks......I work in a MC shop and have access to a Bridgeport mill. I don't have any real knowledge as far as being a machinist, but just enough to be dangerous.... :biggrin:

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Vis said:
Aluma-hyde ?
I've heard of this stuff, but am basically unfamiliar with it. Can you get me going in the right direction to learn more?

hcpookie...................

Thanks for the link to anodizing. I didn't realize how easy it actually is. Being as I'm unsure of exactally which grade aluminium It is, I might have to pass on anodizing this piece. I'm going to keep it in mind for future projects.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I thought I'd share a pic of the final product.

I went with the powder coating, just because it was easiest at the time. It is holding up great. I also used one of the Surefire Nitrolon lights. I really wanted a 6P, but this was half the price. It seems to do the job fine.

All in all, I'm happy with the way it came out. It's solid as a rock, and I can push on the endcap of the light to flash the light. Or roll the tailcap with my finger to have constant light.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for the kind words. I am kinda proud of it. :thankyou:

I did all the mill work before I cut it in half, including drilling tapping and counterboring for the screw heads.All told, I think I have around 6 or 7 hours into it mostly between jobs. I had to keep busy so the shop owner didn't notics I was whittling away a expensive chunk of alum. lol

·
Happy Camper
7,794 Posts
Talk the shop owners into letting you whip up a batch of those during lunch breaks and sell them! Just tell them they are tube mounted flashlight holders. Never mind the tube shoot bullets ;)

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
hcpookie said:
Talk the shop owners into letting you whip up a batch of those during lunch breaks and sell them! Just tell them they are tube mounted flashlight holders. Never mind the tube shoot bullets ;)
Not a bad idea. While doing it the way I did, (not being a machinist) it might be cost preventative. I do however have a friend with a CNC. I could give this to him to use to copy off of.

Any thoughts on what would be a fair price for one of these?

·
Registered
954 Posts
RebFootCav said:
Any thoughts on what would be a fair price for one of these?
Tantals sells a flash light mount for the AK. Maybe contact him to see what they are selling for to get a rough idea. Looks great, btw!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts