Gunco Forums banner

AK vs. AR: Personal Experiences?

1K views 16 replies 15 participants last post by  yosuthnmasa 
#1 ·
Every forum has the classic AK vs. AR, and it usually starts a storm of people arguing about which is better.

To me, neither is BETTER, necessarily; they just fulfill different purposes.

The AK in military use has been called a machine gun that can fire like a rifle; the AR has been called a rifle that can fire like a machine gun.

The AK is:

More reliable under combat conditions
More forgiving of poor maintenance
More robust (i.e., less breakable)

The AR is:

More ergonomic
More accurate
More user-friendly

In my personal experience, I shoot a lot in competitive matches, and invariably the AR's are more prone to jamming than the AK. Indeed, the AR's often bring the match to a complete halt while a jam is cleared, etc.

It was said of World War I rifles that the Germans had the best hunting rifle; the Americans had the best target rifle; and the British had the best combat rifle.

I consider to AR-15 to be a fine target weapon, and as a law enforcement weapon (where the cop has an adequate chance to maintain it), the AR-15 literally has no competition unless you count the H & K MP5, which fires a pistol cartridge, and the Ruger Mini-14, which does not lend itself to accessorizing in the same way that the AR-15 does.

Having said that, in my opinion the AK is a better COMBAT weapon because of its greater reliability and its more forgiving need for only occasional maintenance.

Okay, let the storm begin... :headspin:

See less See more
#2 ·
I like the AK better because it is cheaper to shoot, it looks evil like a ganster gun, and it is hard to brake an AK.

ARs are too hard to keep clean, mags are twice as much, and post ban rifles look wrong. An AK post ban that has the pistol grip converion looks better than a post ban AR. :confused:

#3 ·
I agree with all the statements so far, here's my .02

AK:
Absolutely my favorite "lead waster" I love to dump the mags. It just gets too damn hot to hold. (got to watch where you hold it)
Much easier to clean, less time for clean up after all the fun.
"Bad" name, tell some anti's "you love your AK47", they give you that look of total disgust. ( I love that)
There are so many different countries of origin, each with their own little design characteristics. (i.e. the Yugo pistol grip, the granade site, the front wood...)

AR:
Great ergonomics, it feels perfect to shoot. You can switch the safety without looking, you can release the mag without looking and rechamber another mag without taking it from your shoulder.
Great balance, it's just right for me.
Handguard has excellent insulating qualities, shoot as much as you want and you can still hold it without burning your hand.
Gas system is "DIRTY", lots of time to clean all that residue out. I'm a stickler about having all my guns clean and ready all the time.
Less recoil, I've never been bruised from an AR, the AK is a different story (especially with the underfolder stock, it has some "points" on it)
Then there's all the "gadgets" you can get. It's not for me but if you want it, you can get it.

Synopsis: anyone that has one needs the other.

#5 ·
I don't own any AK's anymore, but AR's keep filling up my closet, so I guess my allegiances are apparent.

God knows I respect the design and character of the AK, and I have owned 10 or 12 in my life, enjoyed them all at the time, but now my priorities are as a shooter and I've slowly been weening myself of the guns I don't shoot well, or just aren't that accurate. For whatever reasons, I just grew away from the AK variants. The last one I had was the most accurate AK I've ever owned, but even then at distance I was never confident I could hit what I aimed at, whereas with a good AR, I'm very confident as a shooter.

Once and a while I'll get a hankering for an AK, especially when I see someone bump a mag, but I haven't done the deed yet.

#6 ·
I like the AK for being a mechanically a good bullet hose and fun plinker. Personally I'm more partial to my bolt actions for accuracy when I feel like shooting precisley.

That being said, I caught Black rifle fever big time! I've been trying to figure out whether to build or buy outright. If I buy it will a Bushmaster since everyone keeps telling me they are shit for post-ban.

#7 ·
I guess if I was on a deserted island and had no other weapon and no way to give it reasonable care etc., I would go for the AK. If on the other hand I had to be concerned on a day to day basis about my well being, I would opt for the AR. All things considered, it does not matter to me which is better, easier to shoot, more accurate,... both are great weapons and I feel that any argument over which one is better, should be made over several glasses of beer. :cheers: Jack

#8 ·
Can't say much that hasn't already been said. I own several of both AR's & AK's. The top tier , is the relability of the AK. But from there the rest of the caragories goes to the AR. The AR isn't labor intensive to keep clean. Most over clean it. Yes I do clean alot of mine spotless but they don't need to be. It just fun to drink a beer and listen to the radio while doing it. I clean my AK's spotless also. It's everybody's own opinion on what a rifle should do and shouldn't do. My rifle should be able to make 400m shots and hit targets if the situation should be that a long shot needs to be made. Two different rifles ,designed to be used differently . WarDawg :sorry:

#10 · (Edited)
SangRun Hunter said:
I like the AK for being a mechanically a good bullet hose and fun plinker. Personally I'm more partial to my bolt actions for accuracy when I feel like shooting precisley.

That being said, I caught Black rifle fever big time! I've been trying to figure out whether to build or buy outright. If I buy it will a Bushmaster since everyone keeps telling me they are shit for post-ban.
I recently contemplated selling my AK, so I could buy more LEGO for my AR but that soon went out the window.
I think Sang said it right, the AK is a hose machine but I actually prefer shooting my AR, it sucks that qualtity ammo is so expensive!
But then you have my 10/22 which is like reading a good book it's hard to put down! :headspin:

Sang you need a black rifle and AIM is the best place to go :rockin:

#12 ·
I'll say one thing, whenever I get to thinking that the AK is an ugly rifle, I see an AR type, and have "ugly" redefined for me! Especially those cut down ARs with the short foregrips.... yuck.

My thinking is--
For short distance, SHTF always reliable: go AK
For long distance, accuracy and is key, go something in 308.
For light recoil and new shooters, go .22

I don't see the niche for an AR.

#13 ·
mike26038 said:
What is a AR???
:rofl:!!

I don't have any real AKs built yet but I know my Galil has never jammed! My wife's old CAR-15 does jam every once in awhile. That said it's usually something simple like a bad magazine or someone new to shooting holding it too loose. But it's light, just over 6 lbs, which is perfect for the wife and daughter (both 5' around 100 lbs). If I had to depend on a rifle it would be the AK.

#14 ·
Don Galt said:
For long distance, accuracy and is key, go something in 308.

I don't see the niche for an AR.
I'll take an M1A (M14) over an AR any day.

When I owned my AR's, just the fact that it took a lot longer and a lot more care to clean one than an AK soured me on them. When I see how many consistently malfunction in our competitive matches, that cinches it for me.

How do our troops put up with the damn thing? They have to, I guess...

#15 ·
When I was in the Navy, our small arms at that time included M1 garands rebarreled to 7.62 NATO, and M14s blocked to Semi-Auto only. I liked them both, and preferred the M14.

My cousin was in the Marines about the same time and he had extensive experience with the M16A1 and didn't mind it because they maintained it and by the early 70s the ammo and powder issues were pretty much corrected. He was a gunnery instructor and conducted familiarization for (I think) freshly-graduated Marines attending basic infantry school at LeJeune and had experience with a mess of AK-47s, captured ones I guess. He told me that they were reliable but inaccurate at longer ranges when compared to the M14 and M16. All that said his preference was also for the M14.

#16 ·
12 years of AR and ARNG time using the M16A1 and A2 from swamps to desert , and using the AKM as OPFOR , and have had owned a couple AKM's I think thus :
While the AK/AKM variants are very reliable they lack decent sights , generally are not very accurate - especially the folding stock variants. Whereas the AR series has always acquitted itself well with service ammunition, excepting blanks - those blanks are for sure designed with getting the rifle dirty to teach grunts a lesson !. I can do 300 and 400 meter shots with superb hit probability , when with an AK type 300 and over is a longshot to make a connection. If I wanted a bullet hose the AK would be it - but I want a rifle so the AR is it.

#17 ·
mike26038 said:
What is a AR???

No really, last time I took my M-4 out it jamed about 30% of the time, I havent shot it since...My AKs never have jammed...

Have you guys heard of this new ammunition. It is really suppose to be the next big thing to keep AR's from jamming. I got to take a look at a box this past weekend, and they were unbelieveable. It just looked like a regular .223 bullet except the case was made out of plastic. You could actually push the sides in on it. I think this will really help with jams due to foreign particles such as sand. Since the cartridge can give so much when something that is in their that shouldn't, the cartridge should still function perfectly because it has made room for the foregin particle. I think the ARMY is in the process of testing and implementing these for use in the armed forces. Don't forget about how much lighter the ammunition is for the GI's carrying it!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.