Gunco Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

After a 30 year retirement its back to life.. Russian AKS 47

this is the first milled AK i ever built .. didnt turn out to bad..
I left it unfinished to keep the guns character ..

·
Gunco Irregular
4,323 Posts
Nice Job!! That slab sided mag looks great in it too.

·
Registered
135 Posts
I just got the same parts kit from sportsmans guide (mine does not look like that yet!) Where did you get your receiver?

How hard was it to build compared to a stamped receiver kit?

Could you share some of your building techniques?

I am trying to decide whether to try to tackle the project, or just send it back & get another stamped kit to build. (The kit was supposed to be a fixed stock set, but they sent me a underfolder.)
T M

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
This was built on a Firing line reciever ,, they are not cheap ,, the reciever cost me
out the door $565.00 !! U used a screw in barrel so i had to index it so when the barrel is tight the sites line up .. meaning having to machine down the flange on the barrel.. that was a slow process removing .001 at a time and checking the fit..
These MUST be head spaced .. by machining the bolt locking lugs .. another slow
process and the lugs must be straight and the exact amount of metal taken off of
both lug surfaces..
These milled kits are not for a novice with no building experiance.. yea you can
have the threads removed and pin the barrels like a stamped gun with trunions
but that not how these were designed to be put together..

Im going to get another Milled Russian with the fixed stock and another reciever so
i can have a matched set.!!

·
Registered
211 Posts
Hey great rifle build ! The handguards and grip look hideous, but I LOVE the look !! Did you dare to fire it yet ??

:drunk:

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yea i know it looks worn and abused . that what i decided on.. remember this Russian was made in the early 50's and have seen some hard use some time some where..
I think the worn look gives it a charactor thats unique.. I already have several new looking AKs so i didnt need another "New looking " one..
The wood is trashy but looks better than the pics show.. I have a set od Tantals 50's
era wood but not going to use them on this gun ..

Yes i did fire it to function test it .. it didnt blow up .. in fact it functioned as any
AK flawlessly!! I didnt shoot any groups .. just shot it :)

·
Registered
211 Posts
Hey that's cool :) I don't think I'd try to group with it either, and I'm feelin' what you say about all the new lookin' AK's. Awesome work !

:drunk:

·
Registered
177 Posts
Great AK

I love the AKS. Wish I could afford a milled receiver build. The battle worn look is nice. That is a reminder of why these were built to begin with. A functional look. Not to many pretty guns on a battlefield. Good luck with your next build. :ak47:

·
Registered
3,518 Posts
I like how you left the furniture. Looks like it was recovered from an Iraqi Bunker.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts