Gunco Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Administrator
7,143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have tried this particular brand and it is almost if not smoother than crown royal. At over $30 a fifth it better be good, lol.

:cheers: :cheers:

http://www.cnn.com/2004/US/South/04/07/whiskey.ap/index.html

MONTGOMERY, Alabama (AP) -- Alabamans now have something to toast: The state has an official whiskey.

The Alabama Senate voted 19-8 Tuesday to override Gov. Bob Riley's veto of a resolution making Conecuh Ridge Fine Alabama Whiskey the "official state spirit."

The Senate vote followed a similar override March 18 by the House. The two rare votes to reject the governor's veto make the designation of Conecuh Ridge official.

"It's going to be very good for us. It will give us publicity and bragging rights," said Kenny May, a Troy businessman who founded Conecuh Ridge, the "Alabama style" whiskey made with water from the state's Conecuh Ridge region.

The Republican governor vetoed the idea because he said Alabama has always reserved official designations for natural, historic or native items and has never given the designation to a commercial product.

Riley spokesman Jeff Emerson said taking time to override the governor made no sense considering the financial problems facing the state and as public distrust of state government endures.

"The Legislature should have more important things to do," Emerson said.

But state Sen. Pat Lindsey, urged the Senate to override the governor's veto, saying "I thought the resolution was harmless and humorous."

The vote means the whiskey joins other official state symbols, including the yellowhammer state bird, the largemouth bass as official fresh water fish and the pecan as the nut.

May said the recipe for his product comes from his family tree. His late father, Clyde May, made moonshine in the woods southeast of Montgomery. Kenny May knows exactly how it was done.

"I used to help him make it," May said. "Everybody said he made the best whiskey around."

·
Administrator
7,143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
7.62x39 said:
I always thought 'shine was the official Alabama adult beverage :smile:
I guess the Alabama legislator doesn't agree with our thinking on 'shine, even though I know people who know where to get 'shine. I just feel if I drank a bunch I'd be :headspin: :headspin:

·
Registered
72 Posts
yes you do know people who can get some....i'll see if i can pick some up for you by may's gunshow.....when you drink some(dont take much)lets just not have anything planed for the rest of the day.
its good and clean...all the best home made comes from a dry county :)

·
Administrator
7,143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
bovver said:
yes you do know people who can get some....i'll see if i can pick some up for you by may's gunshow.....when you drink some(dont take much)lets just not have anything planed for the rest of the day.
its good and clean...all the best home made comes from a dry county :)
sweet!!! can hardly wait, thanks bro. :headspin:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts