Gunco Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Friend of MCMXI
8,717 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Also from Walmart Homepage. Good thing we have the Environmental Pain in the, uhhh, I mean Environmental Protection Agency to look out for us.

Alarming News About Air Fresheners

When you use air fresheners in your home, especially the kind that plug into electrical outlets, you may be doing more harm than good. A study conducted by researchers with the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency concludes that a potentially harmful smog can form inside homes through reactions between air fresheners and ozone. Those reactions generate formaldehyde, which has long been classified as a probable carcinogen, as well as related cancer compounds that many experts believe are responsible for respiratory illnesses, reports Nature News Service.

Plug-in air fresheners emit fragrance molecules called pinene and limonene. That in and of itself is not harmful. But also in the air is the common urban pollutant ozone gas, which is produced at ground level when the emissions exhaust from our cars and trucks reacts with sunlight. The problem occurs with the chemical reaction between the fragrance molecules and the ozone gas. Specifically, the EPA study found that mixing the two created particles of formaldehyde-related compounds at a concentration of about 50 micrograms in each cubic meter of air, which is close to the EPA's outdoor particle limit. (A smoke-filled room has more than 100 micrograms of particles per cubic meter.)

"If you open a window on a high-ozone day, you could trigger these reactions," study leader Mark Mason, told Nature News. Mason is an environmental scientist at the EPA's National Risk Management Research Laboratory in North Carolina.

Plug-in air fresheners are regulated by the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission, which has reviewed the EPA study. Ken Giles, a public information officer with the agency, cautions that the study is only preliminary and based on research conducted in a room-sized test chamber and not a house. "But we do not think that 'freshening' air is a good way to deal with air pollution," Giles told Nature News. What can be done? EPA study leader Mason thinks air freshener manufacturers should change their product formulas, using less reactive chemicals. The study findings were published in the journal Environmental Science and Technology.

·
DADDY WARBUCKS
19,433 Posts
I am no scientist, but I have read enough articles where it is becoming apparent that more and more people are becoming sick because things are so clean they do not develop immunities as in the past.

I notice that more and more kids today have an incredible number of allergies and there parents tend to keep them inside to avoid exposure to heat, cold, sun, humidity, mold, pollen and who knows what else. I seem to be around more young parents where their kids all need "special meals" whereve they go.

I am sure their heart is in the right place, but there is something wrong with that picture.

·
Friend of MCMXI
8,717 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You know Custer, I never looked at it from that angle but you're exactly right. I doesn't hurt a kid to get his/her hands dirty every once in a while. Alot of kids(not all) now days are just plain wimps.

·
Registered
3,346 Posts
I know someone that has to carry the allergy medicines whereever they go, just incase something triggers their allergies. Of course your face reveals everything when it swells up........lol I thankfully (*knock on wood*) cannot think of anything I'm allergic to---oh well unless you count my horrific reactions to smoke--don't know how that happened I grew up with only a fireplace for heat--but maybe after being "citified" and not having smoke around me--has caused that to happen :dunno:

·
Registered
249 Posts
When I was younger I had hayfever, but I got over that at around the age of 23. One thing though, now I am very lactose intolerant. This started right after I had the plagueIII series in the Army. I thought that maybe that was a coincidence, but I have met 3 other people that are the same way and we all were in the Army about the same time and got the plagueIII vaccine.

I think that not being exposed to things while a child or even as an infant can and does cause allergies, I also think that some of the numerous vaccines that are being used can cause unplanned long term reactions in a some people.

My 2 cents.

·
Registered
8,233 Posts
Thank God the only thing I'm allergic to is hard work. :sleep:

·
Registered
249 Posts
ziggy0300 Just what did you have a problem with? The fact that I think that some of the allergies are caused by injecting live and dead virus' into children, or that I am lactose intolerant?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts