Gunco Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
in the blueridge mtns
8,264 Posts
Beautiful creatures! Begs the question,what's the plural? Meese? Can't be moose'es.

·
White Cracker
13,576 Posts
Wow beautiful animals all white like that. I would venture a guess their rare sighting as they don't have much camouflage during non winter times and predators do not have trouble finding them.

·
in the blueridge mtns
8,264 Posts
Genetic anomaly. What's even more rare was the calf with the same characteristics. Odd and interesting at the same time. Normally happens when the population gets too inbred. We had an albino deer up here too Perry. Of course somebody shot it.

·
NoWorkCamp4Me
5,546 Posts
We had a albino deer at Yorktown NWS when I did guard duty there in 77. Always seen it eating grass near the road in a weapons storage area. It would scramble to the brush when a patrol truck came along.

·
Registered
147 Posts
When i was 10-11 years old my best friend and myself were hiking through the woods on Bell Isle in Detroit an came nearly nose to nose with one of these majestic creatures. It seemed to be bedded down for a noontime nap and not at all afraid of humans. It slowly stood up as we started backing away, it was absolutely amazing.

·
White Cracker
13,576 Posts
When i was 10-11 years old my best friend and myself were hiking through the woods on Bell Isle in Detroit an came nearly nose to nose with one of these majestic creatures. It seemed to be bedded down for a noontime nap and not at all afraid of humans. It slowly stood up as we started backing away, it was absolutely amazing.
Yah have to be careful near those big critters Latinrascal. Pretty sure they kill more people in Alaska than grizzly bears do?

·
in the blueridge mtns
8,264 Posts
:eek:fftopic: But a Appaloosa horse is a thing of beauty also. Spotted rump I've been told is the meaning of the word. I could have shot the albino deer up here more than once but I believe some of God's creatures should be enjoyed. I guess the big gun that got the bragging rights on shooting the easiest to spot animal in the woods is happy anyway. Folks were bringing the kids on the Sunday drive to see it for awhile.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Yah have to be careful near those big critters Latinrascal. Pretty sure they kill more people in Alaska than grizzly bears do?
Yeah i have no doubt that my experience could have had a bad ending! We had no idea it was there until we were almost directly on top of that beast. Regardless, at 10 years old i was gonna live for ever because i was indestructible, lmao!

·
Always sore, always tired
6,781 Posts
Yeah i have no doubt that my experience could have had a bad ending! We had no idea it was there until we were almost directly on top of that beast. Regardless, at 10 years old i was gonna live for ever because i was indestructible, lmao!
Geeze; I hope that was one hell of a long time ago! Probably a homeless camp these days full of junkies & dregs of society.
I remember the Nike missiles out there in the fifties & sixties. Nice aquarium back then also.

Cold War mission remembered

·
Registered
147 Posts
Geeze; I hope that was one hell of a long time ago! Probably a homeless camp these days full of junkies & dregs of society.
I remember the Nike missiles out there in the fifties & sixties. Nice aquarium back then also.

Cold War mission remembered
Yes that was about 33 or so years ago. There use to be a rather large population of Fallow deer that ran wild on the island as well as a nice little zoo. After Mayor Archer much of the city including the island fell into great disrepair. The state took it over as part of the cities bankruptcy/emergency manager proceedings. Since the state took it over its now one of Michigan's State Parks and has not looked as good since the 50's. They reopened the aquarium a few years ago and really cleaned up the place. Chased away all the homeless and weekend tailgate parties of teenagers and young adults that were usually the source of all the problems that happened on the island. It's actually quite nice and is now frequently visited by Families for reunions, picnicking, fishing etc....

·
Always sore, always tired
6,781 Posts
Yes that was about 33 or so years ago. There use to be a rather large population of Fallow deer that ran wild on the island as well as a nice little zoo. After Mayor Archer much of the city including the island fell into great disrepair. The state took it over as part of the cities bankruptcy/emergency manager proceedings. Since the state took it over its now one of Michigan's State Parks and has not looked as good since the 50's. They reopened the aquarium a few years ago and really cleaned up the place. Chased away all the homeless and weekend tailgate parties of teenagers and young adults that were usually the source of all the problems that happened on the island. It's actually quite nice and is now frequently visited by Families for reunions, picnicking, fishing etc....
That's great to hear! I see a lot on TV about Detroit coming back from the dead & it's encouraging to me. I worked at the Ford rouge complex in the early seventies & things were already going down hill then. ' Murder City' .
I think the 68 riots caused much lasting damage. That & crooked Democrat administrations.
Now days Dearborn is a whole nother story.

·
Registered
147 Posts
That's great to hear! I see a lot on TV about Detroit coming back from the dead & it's encouraging to me. I worked at the Ford rouge complex in the early seventies & things were already going down hill then. ' Murder City' .
I think the 68 riots caused much lasting damage. That & crooked Democrat administrations.
Now days Dearborn is a whole nother story.
Yeah we are still known as the murder city capital :\ unfortunately, but yes many areas of the city are starting to take a turn for the better without a doubt! Much of the citys come back can be contributed to the Illich (<sp?)family and Quicken. These 2 entities have invested hundreds of millions of dollars into the citys economy.
I have many friends and family that have worked at ford rouge. Hell i had the chance to work for Ford 2 weeks after i was hired by Chrysler Jeep. I was able to work out a deal with the hiring manager to give my spot to my brother who just got his walking papers from the Marine Corp (honerable discharge) that same week and was on his way home and in need of a job. Basically he stepped out of his camo and into his coveralls with no downtime, It worked out perfectly for him.

I wasnt around for the 68 riots but from what i was told and seen for myself Detroit never truly recovered from that mess and then we elect a few criminals as Mayor (colman young, kawmi Kilpatrick) who between each of their administrations did more harm to the city then the riots ever could. Evil GREEDY [email protected][email protected]$. Anyway the city still has a very long way to go to be compaired to a city like Chicago (city life not murder comparrison) but we are definitely on our way to the promised land.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts