Gunco Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
They are saying on TV that Aleve is bad for your heart, man I live on Aleve and aspirin, eat em like candy.:eek:

·
DADDY WARBUCKS
19,433 Posts
There has been a warning on the Aleve bottle about that since it first came out.

It is the best pain medication I have ever used.

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Custer said:
There has been a warning on the Aleve bottle about that since it first came out.

It is the best pain medication I have ever used.
Yep, I can't take the Rx pain stuff, so Aleve saves me a lot of greif.

·
Friend of MCMXI
8,717 Posts
There's probably a warning on tap water.

·
Gunco Irregular
4,323 Posts
I heard on a radio talk show wed. that the person who raised the alarm about Celebrex worked out of the FDA and he used very small sample groups (like 8 for the study group and 10 for the control group) and then multiplied to reach his conclusions. I'm not sure it is as dangerous as they are claiming although the lawyers here are running TV ads looking for victims.
Here is something that might help you feel better. But if you are worried it sure can't hurt to ask your Dr.

http://enterprise.southofboston.com/articles/2004/12/23/news/opinion/opinion01.txt

Miracle drugs become suspect

This week, it's naproxen. Last week, it was Celebrex. Before that, it was Vioxx and Bextra. Next week, who knows.

The U.S. Food and Drug Administration has been on a tear recently, warning people that pain medication they are taking may do more harm than good. But can that be true? Are medicines that help tens of millions of people bad if they harm a few dozen people? That is the question medical ethicists are wrestling with.

Naproxen, sold under the brand name Aleve, is the latest COX2 enzyme inhibitor that has been flagged as possibly causing heart problems. In a National Institutes of Health study of Alzheimer's Disease that has been going on for three years, but was suddenly stopped, it was found that 70 of 2,500 patients suffered strokes or heart attacks.

But what does that mean? Most of these people were taking much higher than normal doses of naproxen. There is no evidence that if used normally it would cause any heart problems. Naproxen has been on the market for 28 years and has given pain relief to millions of people. While it hasn't been pulled from store shelves, the FDA warning is cause for concern.

Just last week, heart problems were linked in the same study to another extremely popular pain medication, Celebrex. Again, it was left on the shelves, but massive publicity of the potential hazards is causing people to wonder if any medication is safe.

"Any drug taken long enough and at high enough dosage can cause some difficulty," said Lester Crawford, acting commissioner of the FDA. Our fear is that this publicity will scare people who depend on these medications to get through each day. There is no evidence that naproxen, in particular, has caused any deaths. Until there is, calls for the medication to be banned should be put on hold.

Modern pharmaceutical science is miraculous in its ability to provide so many medications to ease pain and suffering. Every once in a while, a questionable medication slips through the rigorous vetting process. Vioxx and Bextra, which have been a godsend to so many people, may be gone for good. Will Celebrex and Aleve be next? If they are, will drug makers cut their research and development budgets and stop spending billions of dollars to provide wondrous medications to a demanding public?

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
You may want to check with your pharmacist, Lupe, to see if it's a good idea to mix aspirin and Aleve (weird intereractions can take place when you mix drugs) and whether or not the amounts you're taking are OK. FYI, I've found that pharmacists know a lot more about drugs than doctors do - and they don't charge you for giving you the info!

·
Gunco Irregular
4,323 Posts
True! Good suggestion.

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
There's a lot of hysteria out there now. There was that one where, in megadoses, they found an increased risk of heart problems. Then recently a suggestion that Aleve may also have problems. The deal with Aleve, had it not been in the context of the previous one, would have generated no more than sparking the curiousity of researchers as indicating the need to look into it some more.

At the same time, all drugs come with some risks. Were aspirin invented today, it would be available only upon prescription.

·
Registered
990 Posts
Lupeloff said:
They are saying on TV that Aleve is bad for your heart, man I live on Aleve and aspirin, eat em like candy.:eek:
You might want to try Ibuprofen. I use it and it works well. My doctor told me I could take up to 4 800mg shots of it a day if I need to. I have not had to use that much however.

·
deactive ~ and in trouble
1,781 Posts
I was taking Bextra and I loved the stuff. They took me off of it and put me on a naproxin generic. This outta be interesting when I go back to the docs next month :D

·
Registered
625 Posts
Damn! I was on Vioxx for about a year and a half, I then changed over to Aleve for the last two years because it cost one tenth as much and worked just as well. I guess this explains the chest pains I've been having the last couple of months. Tylenol only works for about a month and then my body gets used to it and it won?t work again till I?m off it another month at least. Ibuprofen has almost no effect on my pain (a little for headaches) so I don?t use it, also with Ibuprofen you risk having it eat up your stomach like aspirin if you use it too much. Crap I?m only fifty three and falling apart, Oh well, live hard and die young I guess.

·
DADDY WARBUCKS
19,433 Posts
I smell a rat with all of these recent problems.

Smells like the lawsuit industry cranking up for a spate of class action lawsuits for product liability and also shareholder derivative suits for stock market price drops.

·
deactive ~ and in trouble
1,781 Posts
Yep they needed a money maker. I think like 400 people out of 10 million worldwide had heart problems on Celebrex so they yank it.

Remember when eggs were the best, the deadliest and now the best again?

·
Friend of MCMXI
8,717 Posts
I think it has a lot to do with what stock the medical big wigs buys that year.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts