Gunco Forums banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
come on guys, some of you must be building on some rifles...

:ak47:

·
Registered
12,413 Posts
If only I had the time at the moment to get started on my first. Through the years I have done countless little things, but getting started on my first build will probably take longer than the actual build.

There is only 2 more things I need to get to start. I need lower rails and a set of drill bits from good ole' HF.

·
Premium Member
6,900 Posts
I've got several lined up, just waiting for some warmer weather.

Between the noise and the fumes, I can only stand that old propane heater in the shop for short stretches at a time.

I think it's time to start looking down in George's and Citra's neighborhood, or at least as fas south as Winn.

I think I'm getting to old for these New England winters

·
Registered
2,836 Posts
I have moved my shop from the garage into the living room as my wife is away at a horse show in Scottsdale AZ. I have put off painting however (don't want to push my luck or spay paint the poodles or the cat) until the spring.

·
Premium Member
7,143 Posts
I am currently working on an AMD63 project and also have a 223 and another 7.62x39 near completion. I really need to finish them up though. Maybe then i will post some pics.

·
Registered
152 Posts
I got the amd-63 to do. I was waiting on the rivets from the group buy..No hurry though..I sand blasted my bulgi Mak and did the teflon moly finish,turned out pretty nice.

·
Registered
25 Posts
7.62x39 said:

Between the noise and the fumes, I can only stand that old propane heater in the shop for short stretches at a time.

I think it's time to start looking down in George's and Citra's neighborhood, or at least as fas south as Winn.

Max,
I have the same issue when working on my friends race car during the winter. He and his dad fire up a salamander to heat the garage up and I find myself just about tossing my cookies. What part of New England are you located? I'm up to my eyeballs in liberals in northwestern Vermont.

·
Registered
16 Posts
my current projects are finishing ak105 build
preban bulgy krink build
starting psl,
yugo m48 sniper
just started and finished today imbel fal.
too many projects, not enough time.

·
Premium Member
1,290 Posts
Have everthing I need to start; press, jigs, kits but no rivets!! I am also waitting for group buy.

RIVETS, RIVETS, MY KINGDOM FOR SOME RIVETS!

·
Registered
330 Posts
7.62x39 said:

Hey, down here in God's Country, it was in the mid 60's today!

·
Registered
825 Posts
I stopped by my old machinest friend's place with my two RPK bentmetals that I got from coldsteel. I asked him if he could clean up the corners a bit? They weren't perfectly square. He showed me some offset press brake dies that will work perfectly inside the receiver. I left my blanks there and he said that he will get to them soon. Maybe now I can get my RPK's started. He was pretty impressed with coldsteel's RPK bentmetals.

·
Registered
412 Posts
This is not exactly AK-47 related but...

I have been working on tooling to cut back the barrel shoulder, and recutting the journal of a Ruger Blackhawk revolver.

1. First I had to create a barrel bushing to fit into my barrel vise.
2. I had to make a pair of center pins to press fit into the ends of the barrel.
3. I had to make a rod to go inside of the barrel to act as a spacer so that the pair of center pins do not get pressed too deeply in the barrel.
4. I had to make a special lathe dog to attach to the barrel. (None of my stock lathe dogs would fit!)
5. I got the work mounted between centers last night. I turned back the shoulder, and began to work on turning the journal.

Let me see if I can figure out how to post a picture

Yours,
Thumb Clip Pull Pin

Attachments

·
Premium Member
6,900 Posts
TCPP,

Ingenuity at it's finest. :rockin:
Just out of curiosity, Why do you need to recut the journal?

[Mental note to self, Robert has lathe with four jaw chuck, must become new best friend.] :notworthy

·
Registered
412 Posts
7.62x39 said:
TCPP,

Ingenuity at it's finest. :rockin:
Just out of curiosity, Why do you need to recut the journal?

[Mental note to self, Robert has lathe with four jaw chuck, must become new best friend.] :notworthy
I discovered that the barrel would not time properly after I cut the shoulder back. The shiney portion that you see in the photo butts right against the treads in the receiver, soooo, I have to relieve this portion for about 0.043", then check the timing again. I will need to face the breech end of the barrel next to get 0.003" to 0.004" clearance between the barrel and the face of the cylinder. Then I will need to recut the forcing cone inside of the barrel.

Yep! That is true! I also have a FFL to do gunsmithing work for others!

Yours,
Thumb Clip Pull Pin

·
Registered
43 Posts
All these good people.....

Waiting and waiting and waiting. For all the group buys to come in. (5) Romy kits and six Vulcan receivers , one AMD-63 in the wings now, awaiting a receiver. :grumble:

·
Registered
2,836 Posts
High Road said:
Waiting and waiting and waiting. For all the group buys to come in. (5) Romy kits and six Vulcan receivers , one AMD-63 in the wings now, awaiting a receiver. :grumble:

Look at it this way, more time to spend here. Jack

·
1,763 Posts
My last project, almost done

I just thought I would post a pic of my latest creation. I call it a "KM-63". Currently I have it fixed folded without the front grip.( I don't have any 20 round mags, and the grip gets in the way.) It's a AMD-63 kit with a polish folder (PMKMS), so add that to my initials and hence the KM-63. It's on a OOW.
I took it out last Sunday and shot 210 rounds through it without any glitches.
What do you guys think? And although there is no gas tube cover, it doesn't get too hot if you keep your hand on the lower.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts