Gunco Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Doc said they were going to put me in the hospitol for a couple of days. I said no you are not, because I got a friend at the house that I have to take care of. So we compromised and they filled my rear with anti-biotics.

After all the hollering at those folks I can't talk. Seems my lung and throat are one giant infection. They gave me some oral antis as well. Looks like chicken soup for din din. To bad I am not a drinking man because a 17 year old single malt would sure feel good on my throat.:)

·
Code name: Felix
6,361 Posts
If you caught the same thing I had a few weeks ago, it's painful, sore throat, lost my voice....I'm still in the recuparation stages, if I talk too much, I lose my voice plus fever for a couple of days......

You'll live......

·
Registered
12,413 Posts
I got that plus fever too.... I stayed hom Monday, Tuesday, and I couldn't go in today. I could hardly get out of bed I felt so bad this morning. It must be bad because Mrs. Sang is actually being nice to me. When I'm sick she has little patience for me unless I really lookk like hell.

Lupe, take care of yourself!

·
Gunco Irregular
4,323 Posts
Well I'm glad they let you go home. Now get some rest buddy and give those meds a chance to work!!

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
I was hospitalized about a year ago, in retrospect unnecessarily. They didn't do anything I couldn't have done at home - except that I wouldn't have charged myself a few grand for staying in bed at home.

I think a lot of this is defensive medicine, avoiding the potential for a lawsuit if you go home to take care of yourself and end up dying. Anyway, after my experience I have learned to take physicians orders to get admitted to the hospital with several grains of salt.

Get better! And sounds like you're as likely to do that as home as you are in the hospital. Force fluids, get bed rest, take antibiotics if it's really caused by something that antibiotics will take out*, and keep the phone nearby so you can call 911 if you start to go South.

* Another instance of defensive medicine. A lot of antibiotics are prescribed unnecessarily, often for viral infections that antibiotics won't do diddly-squat for, to placate the patient and at least give the impression that the doc is doing something so you're less likely to file for malpractice. Net result, alas, is that antibiotics are becoming decreasingly effective as this practice produces antibiotic-resistant strains of diseases.

·
Registered
717 Posts
Question. if the anti's don't do squat against virus...then why would we worry about them becoming resistant to something that don't hurt them anyway?
And if you had something that the anti's would affect, then the proper thing to do is administer the medicine. Now, In Lupe's case, either he has a bacterial infection or he doesn't...but if he doesn't and he is weakened fighting off a virus, you don't want a bacteria having a chance to set in at the same time.

And Lupe....tisk, tisk...that was suppose to be a 17 year old single stripper...not alcohol...think how good she would feel...

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
And Lupe....tisk, tisk...that was suppose to be a 17 year old single stripper...not alcohol...think how good she would feel...

I'm thinking...........I'm thinking.

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
N/A said:
Question. if the anti's don't do squat against virus...then why would we worry about them becoming resistant to something that don't hurt them anyway?...
'Cause when you're sick from a virus that doesn't guarantee that you don't also have a bacterial infection on board. And when you take antibiotics at a regimen not strong enough or long enough to knock out the bacterial infection you breed an antibiotic-resistant strain from among those bacteria that survive the antibiotics. And when a doc is prescribing antibiotics to placate a mom who brought her kid in for an ear infection, he's unlikely to prescribe antibiotics at the strength or duration required to knock out, say, the subclinical and undiagnosed infection of TB that the kid's got.

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
All I can tell ya is for the first time in a week my temp is back to normal and the chills are gone. I gotta give credit to the big a$$ed needle.

·
Registered
717 Posts
I would think that now that doctors know we are causing strains of resistant "germs", that they would be more likely to not proscribe the anti's or at too low of dose. Also, some of the blame can be laid on mothers/parents who do not give the full regimine of antibiotics because junior gets better and so they quit giving before it is all used.
The doctors around here seem to be getting away from giving antibiotics unless called for.

·
Registered
8,233 Posts
Lupe, I glad you're feeling better bro.:)

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
N/A said:
Have you made your mind up on that stripper yet?
Well of course, but alas they are in short supply.

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
Lupe, OK if I have the Romanian Women's Gymnastic Team deliver flowers?

Oh, and they say they can bring their own Wesson Oil but want to know if you have a tarp they can borrow.

·
Gunco Samurai
3,340 Posts
N/A said:
Question. if the anti's don't do squat against virus...then why would we worry about them becoming resistant to something that don't hurt them anyway?
Its not the viruses that become resistant its bacteria. Nasty one's MRSA and VRE just to name a couple. At first we only saw this bacteria in hospitals, yep thats right you could get it if you came to the hospital. Now however we're seeing more and more community acquired MRSA and VRE, which are the most common. Usually people with weakened immune systems are the ones who come down with this stuff. But make no mistake about it, this one is everyones fault from the doctors that used to over prescribe antibotics to the people that didn't take them right. It'll just get more fun as time goes on. People will never learn that they are not above the laws of nature.

·
Friend of MCMXI
8,717 Posts
Grendeljaeger said:
Well I'm glad they let you go home. Now get some rest buddy and give those meds a chance to work!!
He'll get rest unless the fire alarm goes off.:)

But knowing, he'll drag his butt out of bed no matter how bad he feels.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts