Gunco Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I do have a question, being a new member here. If I buy a parts kit from a company (Centerfire Systems), do they remove the so-called ?bad? parts and replace them with semi-auto or do they just not send them? As far as building an AK, I was looking at the AMD-63 parts kit and a pre-built receiver from Arsenal USA, Like the type 5 or the complete barreled receiver. Anyone out there know if this will work or if these receivers are any good? Ok I know it?s now like three questions. I?d like to build my own receiver but can?t and won?t even try to bend, drill, mill or whatever it takes. All I want is a legal (semi-auto) AK and don?t mind getting a friend with an FFL to receive a papered receiver for me. And yes I know I won?t save money this way, but I will learn from it like I did with my AR-15. A pre-thanks for any answers I receive.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I have an AMD-63 kit and I am anxiously awaiting the delivery of my Arsenal Type 3 receiver. Still being told by them, should be sent next week. From what I can gather, the Arsenal receiver is stronger than the standard receiver and is fully heat treated. I feel that it is a good deal and you will be happy with yours.

·
Registered
954 Posts
Keep in mind you will probably read both people praises and bashings of this reciever. For instance a lot of people are happy with the OOW recievers, but some smiths refuse to build on them. I think the quote was that it is too brittle. So it all comes down to what your looking for.

From what I have seen, the Arsenal USA reciever appears to be the best domestic reciever on the market. However, because of the thickness it will require extra work for the builder. Several of the popular net AK smiths are not happy with it. Not sure if they only complaint is the thickness or not.

Your only other option would be to buy another gun for a donor reciever. This is costly and most would not want to go through this expense.

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Arsenal Receiver has narrower ID.

I know that the Arsenal receiver is thicker (1.6mm opposed to 1.0mm) and that is why the Trunnions have to be milled to the new smaller size (1.2mm narrower ID) and I would guess the grooves in the trigger and hammer pins won?t line up for the springs to hold them either. This is why I?m thinking of the complete barreled receiver for $259.99, basically this looks like I can put the gun together in one night from a parts kit. I?d still like to hear from someone that has used this receiver to build a finished weapon. My AR took less than one hour and I learned so much about the rifle that I didn?t know before, even though I?d owned a Colt AR-15 20 years ago. I?m getting older and I?m getting more into the mechanics of guns, I like to shoot, but I love the work of tearing them down and putting them back together again.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts