Gunco Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just finished putting my kit together, and experienced few problems until now. I inspected the action, cycled it a few times, and everything seemed acceptable for an AK. Loaded one round, shot, shell ejected...no problem. Loaded two rounds, shot one, pulled trigger again and nothing happened. Cycled the action and ejected shell, thought bad round. Loaded mag, shot once, shot fine...pulled trigger again...nothing. Took top cover off, worked action a few times and noticed the bolt is hitting the center support pin, and possibly not cocking the trigger. The bolt also rides on the hammer a bit too. I then measured the rails, and both sides are about 8mm from the top rail. To smooth the transition from the rails to the trunnion I had previously bent one rail up slightly. The receiver is a Vulcan, so I am beginning to wonder if the rails are placed too low. I am uncertain if I bend both rails up their full length would solve the problem. I also wonder if Vulcan will take care of the problem. Any thoughts or suggestions? :confused:

·
Premium Member
5,980 Posts
Need a little more data-

Is your empty ejecting? Sounds like it is but I want to be sure.

Is the next round loading into the chamber? Again sounds like it is.

If you pulled the cover off, have the gun unloaded, hold a trigger back and cycle the action; is the hammer staying backward as carrier goes forward? Sounds to me as if it is not.

Do not hold the trigger back and cycle the action. The hammer is probably staying back now.

There are several possible reasons why the disconnector is not functioning.

But check at all and let me make sure I'm guessing right.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The spent round is ejecting and the next round is cycled into the action.

I removed top cover, made sure hammer was uncocked, held trigger back, then pulled bolt back all the way. Moved bolt fully forward, and the hammer stays back when finger is removed from trigger.

Uncocked gun, cycled action and trigger is cocked when bolt is cycled. Pull trigger and trigger releases.

It seems that when shooting the bolt carrier has enough power to move back far enough to eject round, but not enough to cock hammer. Would bolt hitting center support pin cause this, and do you have any suggestions to correct problem?

·
1,763 Posts
If there's contact between the center support and the bolt carrier you need to post some pictures of that. I would not fire the weapon. You need to look long and hard. If you have a known good functioning rifle do some measuring. I also would look at the interaction between the safety lever and the disconnector.

Possibly like the safety lever may be a bit out of "adjustment".
Check to make sure the disconnector is not being kept from engaging the hammer. You may have to grind a bit off the safety.
Are you using the FCG that came with the 63? If so the disconnector should have an extra foot sticking out. This should be replaced.

Attachments

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Actually, the bolt is hitting the center support pin, not the bolt carrier. Yesterday I borrowed a friend's MAK-90 bolt and carrier. The MAK-90 bolt also hits the center pin. My bolt does not hit the center pin when placed in the MAK-90.

I called Vulcan. The guy I spoke to said to grind some material off the bolt where the contact was occuring. He also said their receivers were designed for AK-47's, not guns such as the AMD-63. Sounds kinda weird since the only true AK-47's are Russian, and are none are imported. According to this reasoning their receivers would only be useful for paper weights in this country :chinese: Anyway, I'm not gonna grind anything, and I will try to return it to Vulcan.

I will post pictures of the trouble area in the next day or two. Thanks for the replies thus far.

·
Happy Camper
7,794 Posts
I can't say what kinda stuff they are smoking, but that just isn't right. Kinda funny, would be more funny if it wasn't "yours".

HRM. Can you measure, from the top, the distance to the center support pin, and measure your friend's MAK-90, and let us know the distance?

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I called Vulcan today (651) 451-5956 and spoke to Jeff. I inquired about returning the receiver to them, since there seems to an issue with the rails or center support pin. He asked if the item was in the same condition as when I bought it. I explained to him that I had to enlarge the mag well slightly and remove some material from the rail that supports the magazine, and again he asked if it was in the same condition (seemed somewhat rude). Finally I said "yes". He then asked if I bought it directly through them. I said no, that the person who handles my FFL's bought it, and I was uncertain who he purchased it through. Basically I have to return it to the FFL, he gets an RMA from the vendor, they either replace it or return it to Vulcan, and finally my FFL dealer receives it. Sounds like it may be quite a while before I get a receiver. I must admit that I am disappointed with the folks I spoke to at Vulcan. The people I spoke to seem to give contradictory information, seem hurried, rude and somewhat condescending. If the return process mentioned above is the legal way to do things, fine. It's the attitude, poor advice and seemingly reluctance to stand by their product. If I had it all to do over again I would go with Ohio Ordinance. I will keep everone posted, and try to get some photos.... :confused:

·
Happy Camper
7,794 Posts
I hope you get a refund... good luck, whatever happens!!!

Did you get a chance to measure the distance compared to your friend's MAK? Unless you have a screwy receiver, there's got to be something that can be done to fix it.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Unfortunately I haven't had a chance to measure the difference. We have "range night" on Wed., so until then I will be unable to compare things a little closer. My nephew (a machinist) built his bent metal blank based upon mine, and he needed to raise his rails a little bit. I have the G2 FCG, and was unable to get the bolt and carrier installed because of excessive tightness at the hammer and bolt. I initially thought the G2 was a fault, but upon futher reflection I believe it's the rails. Right now I have the semi group that came with the rifle. It's sad that the quality control of the Vulcan's doesn't seem that good, because the price is right and they look nice.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hello, finally borrowed a digital camera and learned how to use it. Here is a picture of the kit, and the problem. I put the G2 trigger set back in after the picture was taken. I now believe that the hammer is limiting the backwards travel of the bolt due to a tight fit. I thought for a few days that the bolt itself was hitting the center pin. It's very close, and it is tight when the bolt gets at the edge of the pin, but I think it's actually missing it. This is my first kit, and I have nothing to compare it to, until Wednesdays. Anyhow, all suggestions are welcome, and thanks for the help thus far. Sorry for the super small size of the trigger area, for some reason it would not resize to 640x480. :dunno:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,980 Posts
OK Dim-- if I'm understanding you right: the hammer stays back when you cycle it by hand but doesn't when you fire.

And the hammer stays back when you cycle it by hand keeping the trigger pulled back.

Cycle 100 times by hand. Put Dycum on the moving surfaces and find out where they're hitting.

Then run 100 rounds through it however you need to get it to fire. It's probably something like the ejector is a little too long and hangin the bolt up a little. I would get the rough edges broke in then start looking for problems if one still exists.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts