Gunco Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone tried putting standard handguards on an AMD-63? I'm wondering if a standard lower hand guard will pop right on or with a little modification, and if I can just replace the entire upper handguard/gas tube with a new one.

·
1,763 Posts
I thought about doing the same thing, until I looked at those little "titties" on the retainer. The replacement lower handguard would have to be drilled to offset those pins. I would think it could be done but you would have to drill thru the lower handguard tension spring as well, which may prove a little "tricky"..
I am baseing this on looking at a Polish handguard, there may be others that would be easier? But that's what I see.​

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
I saw a post (don't remember where) of an AMD 63 with the standard AK handguards. The person had to remove the FS and GB to install a new lower handguard retainer. Don't remember what was said about the upper but it was a standard upper also.

The pic looked just like a regular AKM.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I did this on my AMD-65. The BEST way IMO is to remove the site block and gas block and replace the retainer with a AK-74 retainer. I am about to do the same thing with the AMD-63 kit I have already purchased. I ordered the retainer from K_Var last week. It is $14.99 minus discounts. This is the same retainer that I used on my AMD-65 build. You can see photos of this build on this site. See "Finished my AMD-65 (pic)". I know that it is allot of extra trouble to press off the parts and then press them back on, but It was well worth it in my opinion.

You could just use the AMD retainer, remove the titties and modify the handgard a little a whole lot easier. In fact I thought about doing that myself, but I guess I just like the adventure of taking apart a perfectly good rifle. :confused:

A std gas tube will go right into place. I have already got a Bulg 74 gas tube for my AMD 63 and it fits perfectly. Then you can sell all you left over parts on E-bay and get some of your money back. Acually, I did even trades on gas tubes for my 65 and 63 builds. I just posted a thread on the "other" site in the WTT forum. You wont have any problems finding a AK74 tube. It is the SA85M short tube that is hard to find. It fit perfectly on my AMD-65.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Great info, exactly what I needed to hear. (But bad news for my wallet!) Pressing the SB doesn't sound fun to me, so I'll just go the easy route and mod the handguard.

This leads me to another question: does anyone sell handguards that match the buttstock of the AMD-63? I like the blonde color it has.

·
Registered
76 Posts
you do not have to change over the handgaurd retainer!!! That would be just making way too much work for yourself. less then 5 minutes time with a hand file and you can make any standard handgaurd fit.

If you look at some of the other hungarian AK's like the SA-85M and the SA-2000m, alot of those also have the same AMD style handgaurd retainer, and are all equipped with standard handgaurds.

If you want the correct lower handgaurd, order part# H-514 from globaltrades for $16.99, that is the correct blonde elm wood handgaurd for these rifles.

Pics coming, I also will take a detailed pic of the handguard modification, it is very simple.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Ok, here are some pics.

It is soooo much easier to just file and fit the handgaurd. Going through the hassle of pressing everything off the barrel to get to the handgaurd retainer, IS ALOT OF WORK!!!!!

Attachments

·
Registered
76 Posts
here is a pic of the rifle along with its cousin. remember, once you put standard handgaurds on a AMD-63 Kit, IT IS NO LONGER AN AMD-63. It is a hungarian SA-85m copy!!!!

The hungarian akm was built using one of the new .045 4130 acearms blanks,
the amd-65 in the pic built using one of the extended muzzlebrakes and one of the laser cut receiver flats that was welded up on my mig. they both function flawlessly!!

Attachments

·
Registered
825 Posts
AK-74Freak said:
here is a pic of the rifle along with its cousin. remember, once you put standard handgaurds on a AMD-63 Kit, IT IS NO LONGER AN AMD-63. It is a hungarian SA-85m copy!!!!

The hungarian akm was built using one of the new .045 4130 acearms blanks,
the amd-65 in the pic built using one of the extended muzzlebrakes and one of the laser cut receiver flats that was welded up on my mig. they both function flawlessly!!
What did you replace the AMD-63 Gas Tube with???

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Looks great AK-74freak! I'm going to have to give this a go myself. Thanks for the pics.

·
Registered
76 Posts
oops, I re-read my previous post. The hungarian lower handguard is part # H-519 not 514.

Gtbehary,

I got my gas tube in trade. Traded a guy my smooth gastube for his standard one. I am not sure what country of origin it is from, but I am guessing romanian because of the heavy red syrupy finish on the upper HG that was attatched to it.
Any standard AKM tube should work fine. I was lucky enough that when I stripped off the finish from the upper handgaurd, it was a very close match to the blonde hungarian wood.

Mike

·
Registered
43 Posts
I just ran out to the shop and found that lower handguard I had in a box , and gave it a try. Came out just like you showed. Thanks ! My next AMD-63 will be an Hungarian SA-85M. I'll order the parts tomorrow. :cool:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts