Gunco Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
Well, I was reading some on site posts about 'Projects' and I said to myself, 'Why don't I start?'

Well for the first time I really looked at my AMD-63 parts kit rear trunion (really haven't looked at the kit that much)and discovered it wasn't like my SAR-1 or WASR-10. It had two LONGGGGGGGGGGG rivets instead of two short and one long.

So I decided to remove the rivets in preperation to do the front trunion (figured I'd try the rear first). With my old beat-up drill press I mounted the trunion in a cheap-o mill/drill table vise (X-Y type), and leveled the trunion with a bubble level (rocket science). I then used a center drill (counter sink) to start the hole. Removed that drill and installed a #26 drill which I sank to a depth of 1.030". Removed that drill and installed a #20 drill and sank it to the same depth.

I figured that that would be deep enough to use the push method to remove the rivets. But NOooooooooooooooooooooooooooo! The rivet material is so soft that when I tried to push it out(using the cut pin and hole in a square tube vise method) I beleive it collapsed on its-self.

I started to freak out, everyone said that this method was the best way. But it isn't working for me.

I then flipped the trunion over and repeated the procedure above. Now the drill passed all the way through the trunion. I then used a #16 drill to remove the last remaining rivet material and while drilling, the rivet (just skin thin)just popped out, no damage to the trunion at all........VERY COOL

Now this might seem like "Oh, Boy Big Deal" but I feel pretty good about it. Hell after this, I'm ready to build a space shuttle..........lol

Attachments

·
Premium Member
6,900 Posts
Your off to a good start.
Those little buggers can be a real pain to get out sometimes.

Keep us posted with your progress.

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've started on the front trunion but I need to get a spare #20 drill to finish it.

Oh, in my previous post I metion a #6 drill......it should read a #16 drill. Wish the "EDIT" was open longer so I could change it to read correctly.

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
that looks great. I am sorry to say I have a trunion with egg shaped holes in it. the guy I bought it from should have taken a lesson from you.
Hay why not start a thread in the projects area and go through the entire build as it happens. I am dooing that with my polish kit, I am even going to build with member involvment as much as I can. letting the members decide some of the choises and options. but that is just me maby I am out their

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
hotbarrel....

I'd love to do a picture project of my build (I have started), but I'm afraid that everyone would be in retirement before I finished. I'm really bad doing before pictures, after pictures are always available.

I'll try to keep a running pictorial of my progress and when I'm finished select the best and post them.

·
Premium Member
6,900 Posts
Toten Kopf said:
...Oh, in my previous post I metion a #6 drill......it should read a #16 drill. Wish the "EDIT" was open longer so I could change it to read correctly.
I corrected it for you.

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
7.62x39...

Many thanks for the change. I was worried that someone would just read up to that post and start drilling, ending up with a screwed up rear trunion.

Again thanks.

·
Registered
825 Posts
I seem to have good luck with a rivet remover and pneumatic rivet gun. They knock out the rivets regardless how tight they are.

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
gtbehary said:
I seem to have good luck with a rivet remover and pneumatic rivet gun. They knock out the rivets regardless how tight they are.

I'd love to hear about your rivet remover! I'm having a really rough time with my rear trunnion rivets right now.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts