Gunco Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Just finishing a screw build AMD 63 with a Vulcan Receiver. Of course, the mag won't fit because it hits the back of the mag well. It appears the holes in the front trunion are too far back, yeah I know typical problem with this receiver, I know this has been dealt with before but I can't remember if you grind the rear portion of the mag well, egg out the front trunion holes or something else. How has the rest of the crew handled this?

Oh yeah, another question. do you think I will have to put any backing plate with the trigger guard screws? Only about 1m of threads, wonder if that is enough to hold the trigger guard on?

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
I filed the mag well a little bit in the rear and the mag went in fine as for the tap question ,,, I rivet the triget guard so I realy do not want to speak out of turn. I think some one will help you

·
Registered
4 Posts
AMD build

I'm new,this is 1st post. Just got done with AMD-63 build. I used the screw method also. The first thing I did was to attach the stock tang. I then slid barrel with trunion into front of Vulcan receiver,inserted mag into mag well,trunion holes did not line up with receiver holes. Had to mark the receiver holes and make them a little bit bigger,put the screws in and tried getting the mag in and out. When mag worked like it was supposed to,I tightened everything up and test fired. I have never used the original holes for front trunion,always wind up making them bigger;had to do that on the Hesse receivers too. I have 3 builds and have fired 1000's of round through them,never any problems.One can never have too many AK's.

·
Premium Member
6,900 Posts
The trunnion holes definitely vary, which is why some receiver and blank manufacturers do not put them in, at all.

I use Ace's bent metal blanks, I can locate the mag well opening in relationship to the trunnion,so I start with the trunnion and work my way back from there.

If I were starting with a blank that already had the mag well opening, I would do the reverse, and let the mag well, dictate the trunnion's location.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts