Gunco Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
681 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got my AMD-65 kit from TAPCO, and it looks beautiful.... however, the barrel is still in the trunnion. should I try to remove the rivets that are in the trunnion, behind the barrel, and use the barrel as the bucking bar, or should I remove the barrel, and start from scratch? I don't want to alter the headspacing of the firearm as it is, but then again, I want the barrel trunnion securely riveted. any thought on this?

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
Hay buddy
what I did was to first check the head space just to be shure.. This is the only kit I have done this with but on my 65 I did use the barrel as a bucking bar. if you want to try this I highly recomend useing the longer rivets that 1 pat had made. I figured as long as I kept an eye on everything I had nouthing to loose. If it came loose I would notice it and all I would have to do is take out the barrel and rivet as usual, so all that would be wasted is a couple of rivets. I found with the longer rivets it has worked fine. also I did countersink ALL the trunion holes this helps a lot and 1pat rivets are all set for it. another advantage of this is you will need no bucking bar in a press. I did ALL my 65 rivets in an arbor press. could have it all done in about 3 hours. piston, trunions, trigger guard, everything. re park could take a bit longer.
PS do not buy any long rivets I have plenty , and for you the special price of only one dollar each haha

·
Registered
681 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
I won't pay less than 2!
how did you get all of the old rivet out, or did you bother?
I would like to try to drill it out, carefully, but won't there be a little ring of rivet left behind, or maybe this won't matter, as long as you have a clear hole to fit the new rivet?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Some where on this board someone posted a neat little easy to make tool for drilling rivets out straight. I've been searching for the post but Im having trouble finding it. But I know its here some where.

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
I was able to pick the ring out. also some of them just slid along the notch between the barrel and the trunion and fell out into the reciever area. this method worked great for me.

·
Premium Member
6,900 Posts
Oc3crwler said:
Some where on this board someone posted a neat little easy to make tool for drilling rivets out straight. I've been searching for the post but Im having trouble finding it. But I know its here some where.

I just moved it to the tool shed so it will be easier to find next time

1 - 8 of 8 Posts