Gunco Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is the best way to get the folding stock off a AMD 65 rear trunnion so you can drill the rivets out? I have read the tutorial for the layout for trunnions, but the rear is for a regular AK. Has anyone done a tutorial for an AMD rear? (I am putting it on a tapco 80% flat)
Thanks again, Tobacco Man

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
I did a tutorial on the rear tunnion rivet removal and I used a AMD-65 rear trunnion for the example. I wouldn't try to remove the folding stock from the trunnion (I believe it's riveted in), just work around it like I did.

I don't know of any tutorial for the installation of the AMD-65 folding stock. I do know that if your using a TAPCO flat only one of the rivet holes (upper) will line up. You will need to locate and drill the lower hole for the folding stock and fill the TAPCO hole that isn't used.

Rear Trunnion Rivet Removal
http://www.gunco.net/forums/showthread.php?t=2564

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
poppasierra said:
Totenkopf, the folder is pinned to the rear trunnion of the 65. It can be driven out with a proper size punch pin.
Par
Thanks for the info, the "rivet" in mine almost looks like an internal allen head. I was just saying that why would you want to mess with the rivet (and possibibly damage it) when you don't have to. If you need to remove it, that's a different story (now I know it's a rivet).

It's not that difficult to drill out the AMD-65 rear trunnion rivets with the stock attached, believe me if I can do it anyone can.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the info guys. I am going to try to drill them out with the stock on first. The holes in the flat are what was throwing me off. I guess I will have to drill another hole for the bottom.

Is the center support supposed to come with the parts kit, or do I purchase it with the rivet kit?

·
Registered
318 Posts
Center support is usually seperate. At least I never got one. I make mine out of a 5/16 bolt. Drill & tap for 10/32

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
Tobacco Man said:
I have 2 pieces with my kit I can not figure out where they go. They are a round hollow tube with a sleeve that slides over it. (I will try to get a pic). The 2 items that are circled.
Thanks Tobacco Man

The thing on the top left is the catch mechanisin for the folding stock.. You will need to drill ahole in the bottom of the receiver, the screw and spring go in from the botom, the other parts goes in the top of the trunnion. This is what locks and releases the stock.

The tube and donut is for the trigger mechanisin. The sleve goes in the trigger hole, thru the sear, then the donut goes to the right hand side of the sear. Then the tube is placed all the way thru the trigger and out the right hand side.. Don't forget to install the sear spring.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
That clears things up a litttle. Do you have a picture of where the folding stock catch should go? Is that sleeve & dougnut on a regular AK (Romanian, Maadi etc..), or just on AN AMD 65? (I have never noticed it on my Maadi)
Thanks, T M

·
Registered
14 Posts
T M, looking at your trunnion from the rear, the wedge goes into the trunnion on the left side from left to right. Turning the trunnion over, the spring and screw goes into the hole on the right side. Don't screw it all the way in as it will lock the stock in place. You need to be able to push the screw up to release the lock. You will also have to mike the screw to get the size hole to drill in the receiver for it. You will also have to cut a notch out the right rear side of the receiver to accomodate the swivel mechanism.

Par

·
Premium Member
7,143 Posts
from what I have noticed - the kits from tapco had the folding stock out of the trunnion - where the kits from centerfire had the folding stock and trunnion still together.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I just notched out my right side of the receiver for the swivel mechanism of the folding stock. I am still not really sure how that catch & spring attches & works. Does any one have any pics?

T M

·
Registered
14 Posts
T M, it doesn't matter if the stock is attached or not. The wedge piece will fit in only one way. Drop it down in to the slot cut for it, making sure the threaded hole is toward the leftside of the trunnion looking from the rear. Then put the spring onto the bolt and insert from the bottom of the trunnion. Tighten by hand to test if it locks and unlocks the stock. This is before you attach the trunnion to the receiver. Take the lock system out of the trunnion, insert the trunnion into the receiver. Use a transfer punch down through the bolt hole and mark the location on the receiver. Working up with larger drill bits, drill a hole just larger in diameter than the largest diameter of the bolt. You'll probably have to do some filing to get the final fit after the trunnion is properly located in the receiver. Make sure the stock unlocks and swivels without the bolt binding before the final assembly of the receiver and trunnion.

Par

1 - 16 of 16 Posts