Gunco Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just did it for the 1st time and I must say it turned out great and was damned easy. Just watch out for those little posts inside the lower handguard retainer, looks like they put them in there just to make sure a wood hand guard wont fit.

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
I would like to see what you did, do you have any pics. to be honest I am not fond of the vented guard and would someday like to replace it with wood

·
Registered
62 Posts
hotbarrel said:
I would like to see what you did, do you have any pics. to be honest I am not fond of the vented guard and would someday like to replace it with wood
I figured out an easy way around the metal handguard that should count as a compliance part. I have one of those dado blades for my tablesaw that will cut up to a 1/2" slot. Now what I plan on doing is cut some of this birdseye I have left so the metal handguard will fit inside. Once the wood is slotted I'll shape the outside and then use the old handguard as the retainer. A couple screws through the bottom or some epoxy should do the job. Then it's on to the gas tube so I have an upper. The upper can be made so it locks to the lower instead of switching parts out. I could care less about authenticity. If I wanted an authentic AMD65 I'd drill the third hole. I want a tool I can depend on and fits my hands.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts