Gunco Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I started an AMD kit that I've had laying around for awhile. I figured I would learn on this one because I am going to order a plum 74 kit from K-var tomorrow. My question is.....I ground down the rivets to the trunion and then drilled the rivets out of the rear trunion which didnt go bad at all...I didnt do the rivets in the front trunion yet because I remember reading something about that if you drill to deep you ruin the kit? Can someone tell me how they drilled out the rivets of theirs? And how deep they actually drilled?....I am planning to tap the trunions and screw the whole thing together so If someone can also tell me what size bits and taps I need I would sure appreciatte it.... Are the holes 5mm and 6mm?

Any info is greatly appreciated

josh
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
5,980 Posts
Josh-- the safest way to build is to measure as you go.

You don't want to drill into the barrel.

You can see the barrel at the chamber end: measure from the outer face of the trunnion to the barrel and that will give you the depth to drill.

drill out the rivets and see what size hole you have; then determine the size of tap. after you Booger one up, you can then go to the next larger size!!

good luck with it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,071 Posts
Winn R said:
Josh-- the safest way to build is to measure as you go.

You don't want to drill into the barrel.

You can see the barrel at the chamber end: measure from the outer face of the trunnion to the barrel and that will give you the depth to drill.

drill out the rivets and see what size hole you have; then determine the size of tap. after you Booger one up, you can then go to the next larger size!!

good luck with it.

AK74Fan, is your first name Josh?...I think Winn is so use to answering questions from some other member who has alot of "first build" questions that he referred to you as him. As far as the tap size...I've never built a screw job, but I think you're probably right about 5 and 6mm. I think I've hear those numbers a few times before. Good luck with your -65 and 74. These guys around here,like WINN, are experts when it comes to building AK's.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
7,143 Posts
AK74FAN said:
Well I started an AMD kit that I've had laying around for awhile. I figured I would learn on this one because I am going to order a plum 74 kit from K-var tomorrow. My question is.....I ground down the rivets to the trunion and then drilled the rivets out of the rear trunion which didnt go bad at all...I didnt do the rivets in the front trunion yet because I remember reading something about that if you drill to deep you ruin the kit? Can someone tell me how they drilled out the rivets of theirs? And how deep they actually drilled?....I am planning to tap the trunions and screw the whole thing together so If someone can also tell me what size bits and taps I need I would sure appreciatte it.... Are the holes 5mm and 6mm?

Any info is greatly appreciated

josh


For the depth, winn is right measure as you go and don't get in a hurry. if you nick the barrel with the drill bit it isn't ruined, but you don't want to drill into the barrel. As for drill size, I use a small drill bit to start and work up to the drill bit that is with a 10-32 tapping set. I can't remember the drill bit size without going to the workbench to double check, but the largest bit I use on the front trunnion is the one used with a 10-32 tap. In a bit I will check and post the size here, unless someone beats me to it.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
6,900 Posts
yosuthnmasa said:
AK74Fan, is your first name Josh?...I think Winn is so use to answering questions from some other member who has alot of "first build" questions that he referred to you as him.
Remember, the mind is the second thing to go.

I'm pretty sure that's the real reason Winn brought Luke to Pittsburgh with him, he wanted to make sure he would be able to find his way home. :headspin:


Ooops, maybe the ol' boy is still with us after all.
I just noticed that AK74fan's real name is Josh also.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
5,980 Posts
My Daddy says says the same thing about that second thing.

And of all the things in life I've lost, I miss my mind the most.

Max--You know how much easier it is to behave when out of town if your child is with you. But don't ask Luke about Holland.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks

Hey everyone..thanks for the info...tonight I will start on the front trunion and then tomorrow I will purchase taps and some cutting fluid.


thanks again
josh
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
260 Posts
amd build

AK74FAN said:
Hey everyone..thanks for the info...tonight I will start on the front trunion and then tomorrow I will purchase taps and some cutting fluid.


thanks again
josh
If you are going to use 10/32 screws for the trunions the proper drill bit is a #21. For the 8/32 screws that you will be using on the rest of a screw build, the proper drill bit is a # 29. I highly reccemend removing the barrel before you drill and tap the holes for a better job. I ruined my first attempt at an amd 65 build by drilling too deep and mucking up the barrel. It really isn't that hard to remove the barrel, if you have acces to a 12 or 20 ton press. I bought one for 125 dollars from harbor freight with free shipping. You will get much better threads with the barrel removed. My second attempt at an amd build I wasn't really able to get the tap in deep enough with the barrel in to establish good threads. As a result, they stripped out easily. I even broke a tap off in one of the holes, but was lucky and got it out with a punch and a hammer. Taps are very hard to drill out if they break off in the hole.
"To disarm the people (is) the best and most effectual way to enslave them..."
Ak'sr4me
 
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Top