Gunco Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
339 Posts
Awesome idea. I was wondering how to modify an AMD rear to make it a pistol. You just beat me to it!

·
Registered
812 Posts
When I saw the title of this thread, I thought maybe somebody had implimented an idea I was kicking arround....

First the AMD-65 stock goes straight back for about 1/2 an inch. It could be cut off at this point and threaded. Then another type of stock perhaps an aluminum ace stock could be modified to fit to thread onto the end of this stub? The thickness of the new stock at the point it meets against the trunion could not be of much greater thickness than the stub, however, maybe an 1/8th inch on either side?
Alternatively you could turn down the stub to a smaller diameter or cut it off completly and use the whole on the back and wide it out and use a hardened threaded bolt of smaller diameter as the stub.

Anyway, just a thought......

Any of you guys using the trunion as a pistol want to give it a try since the stock is of no more use to you??

(woot...100 posts!)

·
Registered
12,413 Posts
Aluminum is easy to deal with in a home shop and I would think making a pistol trunion would be quite easy with a dremel for working the top cover recess.

·
Loaner
5,358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
meyerse said:
When I saw the title of this thread, I thought maybe somebody had implimented an idea I was kicking arround....

First the AMD-65 stock goes straight back for about 1/2 an inch. It could be cut off at this point and threaded. Then another type of stock perhaps an aluminum ace stock could be modified to fit to thread onto the end of this stub? The thickness of the new stock at the point it meets against the trunion could not be of much greater thickness than the stub, however, maybe an 1/8th inch on either side?
Alternatively you could turn down the stub to a smaller diameter or cut it off completly and use the whole on the back and wide it out and use a hardened threaded bolt of smaller diameter as the stub.

Anyway, just a thought......

Any of you guys using the trunion as a pistol want to give it a try since the stock is of no more use to you??

(woot...100 posts!)
That is the thing, the rear tang may not be able to accept a stock anymore otherwise it violate BATF pistol building regulations. I have seem ppl so something very simular but they mounted a sling swivel instead:D Perhaps that would answer your question.

·
Registered
3,518 Posts
I wish someone would make an Aluminum rear trunion for an underfolder. That would sell like hot cakes.

·
Registered
812 Posts
magnus392 said:
That is the thing, the rear tang may not be able to accept a stock anymore otherwise it violate BATF pistol building regulations. I have seem ppl so something very simular but they mounted a sling swivel instead:D Perhaps that would answer your question.

I wasn't thinking for a pistol I was thinking for a unique stock for a rifle.
Its mostly a cosmetic thing. I think the AMD stock is ugly and if you could mount a aluminum triangle stock on the stub and AMD trunion I'd probably do this to give the AMD a poor mans Krink look

·
Registered
812 Posts
mbadboyz said:
I wish someone would make an Aluminum rear trunion for an underfolder. That would sell like hot cakes.
Where would you get the stock? I've got a polish (romainian?) trunion but can't find a stock anywhere (or should I say at a price less than $60) that is the correct Polish AKM stock that extends straight back.

·
Registered
3,518 Posts
Wepaoneer just had a group buy for the entire underfolder stock set including all hardware. NO TRUNIONS though!

You want to sell that trunion?

·
Registered
812 Posts
mbadboyz said:
Wepaoneer just had a group buy for the entire underfolder stock set including all hardware. NO TRUNIONS though!

You want to sell that trunion?

The latest information is that stock is a bulgarian-AK47 stock. The trunion I have is a Polish AKM trunion. If the weaponeer stock truely is a Ak-47 stock it will lock in an angled position not straight back, and it probably won't lock into position.

I'm going to hold onto it for now.....incase that elusive polish stock for $35 shows up. I need it for my poor mans krink.

·
Registered
812 Posts
magnus392 said:
Well Meyerse, I don't see why one could not do it. If you can install a threaded swivel then you should be able to add a custom stock. I think GB had som wire frame stocks listed a while back that you may check out.
Just to clarify, I was thinking that you could maintain the folding aspect of the AMD 65....just attach a differnt style stock...maybe an ace aluminum stock.

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
mbadboyz said:

Mbadboyz, I've started to draw up one in Solid Edge, but the shop I use has been closed down. I will probably be able to start back on the 6th of Jan. Hopefully, I can get it to work right. I will try to build one like the Polish underfolder one I have.

·
Master Endmill Breaker
1,367 Posts
That is an AMD buttpad cut and welded to one FUGLY, piece of crap stock. The proper way to do that would have been to weld a more substantial plate to the pivot block of the stock. Then attach a much better looking, and functioning, stock to the plate. A Sten T-stock would look better than what they cobbled together. The setup they have pictured could be salvaged by getting rid of the anemic 1/2" tubing that they used and going with 3/4" tubing and a better seam between them. I lightened the picture and the bottom tube or channel overlaps the top, leaving the seam towards the top. REALLY professional job there, Joe...

And $599.99 for an AMD-65? WTF?!?!?!?!

Lemme see here... Tri-rail handguards, Tri-rail top cover... That means provisions for 6, yes 6, tactical attachments. HA HA HA HA :lol: Nice Captain Kirk setup...

Those morons just get better and better... If I EVER see anyone from here with one of those pieces-o-crap, I am going to throw a rock at you.

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
Rhino_66 said:
Those morons just get better and better... If I EVER see anyone from here with one of those pieces-o-crap, I am going to throw a rock at you.
LOL, LOL

·
Registered
3,518 Posts
yosuthnmasa said:
Mbadboyz, I've started to draw up one in Solid Edge, but the shop I use has been closed down. I will probably be able to start back on the 6th of Jan. Hopefully, I can get it to work right. I will try to build one like the Polish underfolder one I have.
Sorry josh!! Didnt see your response here. Let me know what you have come up with.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Better yet, it doesn't even exist as pictured. Joe posted that it's a photoshopped pic for his "catalogue". How funny. Now the're featuring products that they don't even have.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts