Gunco Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this isn't a company that deals with AK's, but I figured I'd ask the question anyways. If this isn't in the right section, please feel free to move it.

:rant:

Back in the first week of October, I purchased 2 Ameetec stripped AR-15 lowers and a Bushmaster lower from Warren at Ameetec Arms over on AR15.com. Funds were immediately sent via Paypal. I called about 3 weeks later to check on the order and was assured that it would go out and the normal turn around time was 1-2 weeks. About a week later, I called again, and was told that the BM lowers were on back order but should be in within a week or so along with the Ameetec lowers that were now out of stock!!?? So, I added another BM lower to my order at that time. ...To make a long story short, it is December 1, 2004, and I am still waiting on the BM lowers and the Ameetec lowers. I haven't received any of them. I later found out that my Ameetec lowers weren't sent out(during the first month, when they were in stock), because they try to keep the orders together and have all the lowers shipped out together. The word on the BM lowers (the first call) was the beginning of November. Then it was a couple weeks later, and a couple weeks later.

I'm getting impatient! Is it just me? This company has gotten (overall) rave reviews from customers. There have been a few that have complained about this operation for various reasons, though. I'm beginning to feel like I'm going to be one of the complaining customers. Has anyone else had a similar experience? Is 2 months a short time to wait?

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
yosuthnmasa...

I look at things in black and white. Good or bad, right or wrong, you either have the part or not. I get very pissed when someone will list a product, you order it only to find out it's B/O'ed. If it's not available say so. Companies that jerk customers around eventually suffer the consequences.

I just placed an order with Grizzly Industrial. One of the items went on B/O but they emailed me letting me know and asked if I want to accept the B/O or cancel the item. To me, that is an acceptable practice. Just don't let me hang!

If the company your dealing with is a sole manufacturer and you want their product, your pretty much stuck with their terms. If not and they jerk me around, I go somewhere else. Even if it cost me a little more. JMO

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I knew up front that the BM lowers werent in house at the time. But, from the explanation I feel like I was led to believe they would be in soon. On the other hand, the Ameetec Lowers were in stock at the time I ordered. But, based on the fact that he tries to keep the orders together, I missed out on that batch and am now waiting on another....as far as I know this is what is going on.

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
If nothing else they should have informed you on what they were doing. This gives you the option to decide on whether to kept the order with them or try somewhere else.

Poor buiness practice as far as I'm concerned.

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
TK, I sent a PM a couple of days ago after posting in the EE on AR15 and not getting a responce. Basically, I asked again to have their lowers sent out before my Bushmaster lowers were sent out. He replied and said he would. So, it sounds like I will at least get 2 of the receivers before Christmas. Who knows about the BM lowers though.

·
Visiting MOD
2,141 Posts
yeah since the ban there has been a huge rush on AR receivers.
I am gonna TRY to get some RRA for a SBR project I am working on.

·
Registered
681 Posts
sounds like the runaround I got when I ordered some receivers from Globaltrades. I waited about 2 months, then cancelled. 10 minutes after I cancelled, they found some that they could ship next day. No good. Not for me. Good company to deal with for most, but I guess the "lucky ones" like us can jump in the roses and come out all shitty. Cancel, tell them you'll get them elsewhere, and see if they don't "find" some to ship out....

·
Registered
45 Posts
If you guys are looking for AR receivers, try Stag receivers, Eagle firearms sells them for a good price. Stag lowers are made by the same company, on the same tooling and with the same QC as the Rock River receivers. I bought 3 for $80 a piece and theyr'e really nice.

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the heads up 3rdpig. Are they the ones with a dear head or antlers on the side of the receiver? If so, this was my only real turn off with the receivers. Sure wisht they could've chosen a different logo. Most don't care, though. These will be my first builds...the Bushmasters that is. Not sure what I'm going to do with the Ameetec lowers. One will be a pistol, or put in the safe.

·
Registered
45 Posts
yosuthnmasa said:
Thanks for the heads up 3rdpig. Are they the ones with a dear head or antlers on the side of the receiver? If so, this was my only real turn off with the receivers. Sure wisht they could've chosen a different logo. Most don't care, though. These will be my first builds...the Bushmasters that is. Not sure what I'm going to do with the Ameetec lowers. One will be a pistol, or put in the safe.
Yep, the Stag receivers have the buck head with antlers. I actually think it's pretty nice looking. Personally I wouldn't let the logo on the receiver affect my choice, but if it's a big deal to you then there are several other budget receivers on the market, LAR Grizzly receivers have the bears head, Mega receivers have the atom thingie and these are both good receivers. Bushmaster and RRA receivers are only $15 or $20 a piece higher than the Stag receivers, it's just finding them that's the problem.

The Cav Arms receivers are nice too and can be gotten in colors, but you're stuck with an A1 length fixed stock and of course they're a polymer receiver. They make a nice rifle though.

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
That's exactly right, trying to find the BM and RRA receivers is the problem. It seems there has been a huge demand of these over the last few months. Many are buying the cheaper brands in lieu of the bigger name brand ones. Personally, I don't care too much for the antlers but it wouldn't actually hold me back from getting one if I needed one. I decided to go with the BM lowers for resale for the most part. I also think the BM logo is pretty nice. As far as function and reliability, I have no doubt that they are probably all very similar in performance.

Check out this link over on AR15.com. Seems I'm not the only one upset. You would've never believed that there were people that had ordered before me. Its been over 2 months now!

·
Registered
45 Posts
I read Arfcom pretty regularly, plus several of my friends have been on Bushmaster's waiting list for quite some time. One just got his rifle last week and we went shooting together, the Bushmaster's a nice rifle, but personally I question if it's worth the extra money and most especially the extra wait. I won't argue the resale point, you're perfectly right. But that's not my major concern since I rarely sell guns.

I bought a new Oly K4B Duty/Match 20" A2 at a local gunshow right after the AWB ended. It came with threaded barrel, bayo lug, sling, hardcase and one 20 round mag for $629. I've shot it side by side with both Colt and Bushmaster rifles and honestly can't see much of a difference. The Oly's fit and finish is excellent and with quality ammo it shoots sub MOA all day long. I haven't had a single misfeed in the 2k rounds I've shot through it. It even feeds Wolf, Barnual and Silver Bear ammo without a hitch.

My thinking was the similar with the Stag receivers, it was just before the election, Bushmaster and RRA receivers were not to be had. I wanted some receivers just in case Kerry got elected, if that happened I knew there would be a buying frenzy. I've just salted away 2 of the receivers and sold one to my brother. I'll probably build a carbine on one of them after the holidays. I'm having a tough time finding a carbine setup that I like, the M4 profile barrels don't do much for me and I just don't like how much barrel extends beyond the handgaurds with the 16" barrel and CAR or M4 handgaurds. I may go with a dissipator, or one of the new midlength setups. I'm also considering a 14.5" barrel and permanent flash hider.

Damn there's a lot of options building an AR!

·
Registered
704 Posts
Check out Essential Arms they have got stripped lowers for $67+$8 shipping.

·
Registered
45 Posts
droog said:
Check out Essential Arms they have got stripped lowers for $67+$8 shipping.
From EA's website:
"Essential Arms was the first producer of AR-15 lower receivers in aviation alloy through the investment process".

Investment process parts are cast, not forged. IMHO you're better off spending another $18 and getting a forged receiver.

·
Registered
704 Posts
Rugers are all investment cast.Forgings are stronger true but the AR-15 design is such that there is not much stress on the receiver as the bolt rotates into the barrel extension much like the AK bolt does into the trunion.If it were that critical there would be no stamped AK receivers and all ARs would be steel.IMHO

·
Registered
45 Posts
I agree that in normal use it doesn't make any difference whether an AR lower is cast or forged, or even plastic or polymer for that matter. But a cast part is simply not as tough as a forged part, all other things being equal. The process of forging produces a part with a tighter, denser grain structure than casting that will withstand more abuse.

Ruger doesn't use castings because it's the best way to go, they do it because it's good enough and it's inexpensive. What's good enough for a plinker isn't good enough for a SHTF rifle, at least not for my SHTF rifle.

I've seen, in person, an AR with cast receiver knocked over (was leaning against the side of my Jeep) and fell against fist sized rocks and broke a chunk of the magwell. It's an older Olympic Plinker that belongs to a shooting buddy of mine, he sent it back and Oly replaced the receiver, not with another cast one, but with a forged one. Oly no longer makes a cast receiver. To me, that says something.

If I was building a safe queen and the forged part was twice as much I might go with cast, but for an AR, one I may need to beat the crap out of and still rely on, I'd take forged over cast even if it cost double. For $18 extra it's a no brainer.

·
Registered
704 Posts
I was not aware that Oly quit making the cast ones. That would explain why there has been so many of them floating around at cheap prices for awhile now. I personally have only built 2 ARs one on a forged Bushy and one on a forged Grizzly.Btw I got the Grizzly for $74 +$8 shipping from Joeken and in less than 2 weeks too I might add.

·
Registered
45 Posts
droog said:
I was not aware that Oly quit making the cast ones. That would explain why there has been so many of them floating around at cheap prices for awhile now. I personally have only built 2 ARs one on a forged Bushy and one on a forged Grizzly.Btw I got the Grizzly for $74 +$8 shipping from Joeken and in less than 2 weeks too I might add.
All Oly's are now forged, a good move on their part, both for marketing and for their customers. For a small charge, they'll replace any cast receiver with the new forged one, even if nothing's wrong with it.

Good price on the Grizzly, they were my first choice, specially when I saw JK's ad for 3 for $69 each. But when I called them they refused to sell them for that price, they gave me some load of crap about BM and Colt telling them they had to start charging more. That's when I bought three Stags for $80 each.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I ordered one of their Ameetec brand lowers overall I have to say the quality of the lower is very nice. I ordered mine with parts installed and the only complaint I have is it was missing a couple of the parts that would have needed a stock to hold them in place which luckfully were cheap parts to replace.

Their customer service seemed a little rough around the edges but the product is a good one.

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
So I here, after the fact that is. Great product, but shoddy customer service. The part I don't like is that most of the members from this board give the members that complain about this service a hard time. Any time a complaint is made, you will have 5 or so guys backing up this supplier as if he can do nothing wrong! The problem, I see, is a company that has stepped forward to play the role of a consumer's supplier, whether as a favor or means of profit, and cannot successfuly fulfill all of the requirements that this industry requires. Sounds like they have shipped the receivers off from what I can read on the board. I called my dealer yesterday, and he has not seen the receivers yet. Not to mention the Bushmaster receivers I am still waiting on too. I will wait a few more days...

1 - 20 of 26 Posts