Gunco Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
12,413 Posts
Okay.... That all looks like it could be duplicated. I have and air chisel and the one peice looks like it would fit right into my air chisel socket.

It never even occured to me to use my air chisel.

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
I've been around guys who do aircraft structural work for a living and to me using an air impact riveter is an art form. It's not someting you learn overnight. As an aerospace QA inspector I've had many jobs redone due to impact walking. Which is having the impact riveter walk a little during the riveting process. Surounding metal is damaged (half circles) as well as the rivet. Also ensuring the buck stays on target is a task too. When you see someone riveting who knows what their doing it looks easy but I've tried it and without stellar results. I'm into the slow crush method which reduces the chance of damaging the rivet or metal. I'm not saying that you can't screw up a slow crush job but at least it's happening at a reduced pace and you can recover. Just my observations.

·
Happy Camper
7,794 Posts
yeah what Toten said - everything and I mean everything I've read says this can be very bad for your reciever IF you screw up. That's a big IF...

On the forums when they talk about riveting mistakes, they usually refer to them as smileys or half-moons, that's what they are talking about, when the hammer slips & hits the reciever metal leaving a nice semi-circled dent.

OTOH, I think it was Winn who mentioned the ease of using a center punch that had a concave round dremelled out of the front, used this on the face, and bucked the back (not sure 'bout the buck) and used a 3-4lb hammer to drive the rivet in place. Slow, deliberate, gets results.

·
Registered
2,836 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
scubadvr said:
George, I ordered one, believe me I am happy with my "plinker" tool, but I want to check out this method. I will keep you guys informed. Jack
God, I'm glad I use screws :)

Just pulling y'alls chain a little.

·
Registered
825 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
scubadvr said:
George, I ordered one, believe me I am happy with my "plinker" tool, but I want to check out this method. I will keep you guys informed. Jack
Jack,
I have a pneumatic rivet gun and all the sets. The nice part about this kit is the bucking bar and set is a perfect match for the trigger guard and rear trunion rivets.

·
Registered
825 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
scubadvr said:
George, got mine Friday. You are absolutely right.
Nothing is more aggrevating than trying to set the front triggerguard rivets, with the wrong bucking bar. Darn support and lower rail gets in the way.

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
Contact 7.62x39, he's on this forum. He makes the BEST trigger guard riveting tool ever. You don't have to worry about all the inside crap to do the rivets. His tool clears all of that. It's like a work of art!!!!

·
Registered
825 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Toten Kopf said:
Contact 7.62x39, he's on this forum. He makes the BEST trigger guard riveting tool ever. You don't have to worry about all the inside crap to do the rivets. His tool clears all of that. It's like a work of art!!!!
If I don't bust my knuckles, draw blood or cuss 50 times during the rivet process, I feel that I am not getting the full builder's experience. After all, I have been using pre-made receivers... :smile:

·
Registered
15 Posts
I think that crazy guy on the video (it comes with free video) even gives a thumbs up to 7.62x34's jig, but gives reference to another site (just found this one yesterday after an interesting e-mail). Slipping off the rivet sucks, but he (who is into about 15 beers on the video) shows how to flatten one side of the shank to hold up to a fence to keep this from happening. I feel comfortable saying these things because I sleep with his wife every night....shhh.Hey, thanks for the thumbs up from the guys that got theirs already. I'll be honest too, I've used tons of avaition rivets before (I was a turbine mechanic), which are very tough to get perfect, but the harder bulgarian rivets work amazingly better with these tools.Sorry if I'm rambling, but I started on ST Paddy's day early. :cheers:

·
Registered
15 Posts
gunboards pulled that thread because I wasn't a sponser. it's funny because I had unanswered emails for weeks now asking about sponsership. I guess they are doing alright with what they have.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts