Gunco Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
DADDY WARBUCKS
19,433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Former US attorney general joins Saddam defence team
Khaleej Times Online ^ | 29 December 2004 | AFP

AMMAN - Former US attorney general and left-wing activist Ramsey Clark is to join the defence team of Saddam Hussein, a spokesman for the toppled Iraqi president?s lawyers said on Wednesday.

Clark, who held the office of attorney general under US president Lyndon B. Johnson, ?is one of the members of the defence team of president Saddam Hussein,? Ziad Khassawneh said. ?This honours and inspires us.?

The former top US justice official, who arrived Tuesday in Jordan where the defence team is based, has become known as a left-wing lawyer and firm critic of US foreign policy since leaving office.

He visited Saddam Hussein in Baghdad in February 2003 just before the US-lead invasion and has also been involved with the defence of former Yugoslav leader Solbodan Milosevic, on trial for war crimes at a UN court in the Hague.

Clark told reporters in the Jordanian capital that his principle concern was protecting the rights of Saddam, who only saw a lawyer for the first time this month, a year after his capture.

?In international law, anyone accused of crime has the right to be tried by a confident, independent and impartial court, and there can be no fair trail without those qualities,? said Clark.

?The special court in Iraq was created by the Iraqi governing council, which is nothing more than a creation of the US military occupation and has no authority in law as a criminal court,? he said.

The Iraq Special Tribunal was established by the US-led coalition last December to try members of the former regime of Saddam.

Clark also said the United States itself must be tried for the November assault on Fallujah, destruction of houses, torture in prisons and its role in the deaths of thousands of Iraqis in the war.

·
Angry White Man
3,379 Posts
WTF is it with these anti-American Americans? This guy aspiring to be another Michael Moore or something?

·
Friend of MCMXI
8,717 Posts
It's amazing what people will do for money.

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
Let me see if I have this straight: We've been training Iraqi judges in Western-style jurisprudence so we can conduct a trial of Saddam Hussein in accordance with Western standards of justice - Western standards of justice that demand that justice be determined according to an adversarial system that requires that a defendant receive a vigorous defense.

Yet to act as a defense attorney is somehow un-American.

Are defense attorneys to defend only those we believe to be innocent and those we believe to accord with our morality and beliefs?

The irony is that were defense attorneys to defend only those folks, we'd never be able to put the guilty on trial!

So if you've got a problem with this, you're implicitly choosing among only two options. Either:

1. You think our yattering about bringing Saddam Hussein to justice according to Western standards is a lie and a sham and we should just summarily execute the SOB; or

2. You think that our yattering about bringing Saddam Hussein to justice according to Western standards is the truth - and since he must be denied defense counsel, he cannot be tried so he can walk if he doesn't plead guilty.

Pick one, please.

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
Ramsey Clark was one of the leaders of President Johnson's adminstration which put over a million Americans in harms way in Vietnam. Afterwards, in 1972, Clark joined the country's Fifth Column, which was determined to tear this country apart with endless protests, demonstrations, and other infantile cries for attention in an effort to abandon our friends, allies, and American troops committed to war by Clark's own political party.

·
DADDY WARBUCKS
19,433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The left likes to pitch this fool as some man of high moral principle. The fact is, he only believes in one thing:

If there is a way to make the US look bad, he is there.

His most recent foray was representing Milosevic.

·
Gunco Irregular
4,323 Posts
I really doubt any one here wants to deny Saddam an adequate defense but this goes much further and makes a political statement. He is a former Attorney General and chief law enforcement officer of our country, and like it or not when he defends the likes of
Sheik Omar Abd El-Rahman or Saddam Hussein it sends the wrong message to these folk's followers. It is like telling them that they have support from former goverment officials. Maybe I'm way off base here, but that's how I see it, and I'm afraid others around the world may see it the same way.

·
Angry White Man
3,379 Posts
Saddam Hussein should get an honest trial. I just don't see why an American should be on his defense team. Aren't there lawyers in the arab world capable/willing to defend this piece of human scat?

Clarks an asshat, pure and simple.

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
American justice demands that the defendant be given the best defense possible. Which brings up another irony...

If Ramsy Clark is the best defense attorney possible, his being on the defense team supports American justice and US policy. And being a former Attorney General of the US is a credential I have to admit I would rather like to see if I were choosing an attorney.

If Ramsy Clark, despite his credentials, is an idiot, then those of you who think that we shouldn't waste our time providing Husein the best defense possible should then be pleased.

·
DADDY WARBUCKS
19,433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Good job of turning the issue, Smeg.

You were well trained in your youth.

·
Angry White Man
3,379 Posts
Saddam is as good as convicted already, regardless of "American justice", having best defence lawyer, etc., etc. Involving an American in this trial just gives the Arab world something else to bitch about and will be seen as more meddling by the evil west. When Saddam is convicted, they'll say it was because the evil Americans planned it that way. Should by some miracle he gets off, half will blame us for letting him escape punishment, the other half will blame us for using the trial as a political tools to try gaining a better standing in the Arab world. It's a lose/lose situation all the way.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Read Clark's book "the fire this time"....it'll tick you off.

The pos will try to make the trial less about Saddam and more about U.S. involvement in Iraq.

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
Custer said:
Good job of turning the issue, Smeg.

You were well trained in your youth.
Thank you, comrade.

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
RetVet said:
Saddam is as good as convicted already, regardless of "American justice", having best defence lawyer, etc., etc.... It's a lose/lose situation all the way.
Much truth to what you say. Best outcome would have been for him to die of natural causes, preferably in a hospital in some Muslim nation, prior to his capture.

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
Gwitness said:
...The pos will try to make the trial less about Saddam and more about U.S. involvement in Iraq.
Almost assuredly. Don't know what other defense they could trot out, similar to the "blame the victim" tactic common among desperate defense attorneys.

Only other possible defense I can think of would be that the atrocities that took place in Iraq were not by his command and were not under his control, that they were committed by renegade troops. That tactic has worked pretty well for Rumsfeld in dealing with the Abu Ghraib atrocities.

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
I never suggested the United States should give Saddam the best defense possible. It is Iraq which has an interest in the trial and has jurisdiction over the matter. Do they have a responsibility to provide Saddam the "best defense possible?" No. We don't do that in our own country, either. Defendants are entitled to competent counsel, not the "best," however that may be determined.

By the way, who said Saddam was entitled to the best defense, anyway?

1 - 20 of 36 Posts