1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
DADDY WARBUCKS
19,433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Student suspended over sketch
BY JOHN RICHARDS, Staff writer

[email protected]

Kelli Ilyankoff, who loves school, did not make it to class Thursday.

Trinity South Elementary School principal Charles Braden suspended the 10-year-old for one day for "terroristic threats" after seeing a sketch she drew after finishing a math test Tuesday.

A female classmate, Kelli's friend, had passed her a piece of paper with a sketch depicting a gravestone with a third child's name on it. Kelli, in turn, sketched another tombstone with her friend's name, along with "1993-2004 ? nobody cares about you."

The two then began to giggle, attracting the attention of a student teacher who confiscated the note, tore it up and threw it in a wastebasket, according to Kelli.

"We were just kidding around, playing," she said.

The student teacher told another teacher about the sketch, which was then reassembled and delivered to Braden.

Kelli spent Wednesday in Braden's office before his decision to suspend her.

"I can understand, if she is drawing a picture of someone bleeding and wrote, 'This is you. This is what I'm going to do to you,'" said Tami Ilyankoff, Kelli's mother. "But this is ridiculous."

Her daughter is a model student, she said. She gets good grades, plays softball, studies flute and has never been in trouble at school before.

Meanwhile, for Halloween this year, the school decorated the hallways with tombstones adorned with teachers' names, Tami Ilyankoff said, finding it odd that the decorations were encouraged, yet her daughter was suspended.

Braden would not comment.

"I'm not allowed to discuss anything of a confidential student matter," he said.

Trinity Superintendent John Springston would not specifically comment about Kelli's suspension.

"If we think something is a threat of any nature, we have to take it seriously," he said.

Last year, he said, a student drew a picture of a bloody knife with another student's name on it, and that student received a similar punishment. The mother of the student whose name appeared on the knife was irate, demanding that the child be prosecuted.

"To this parent, we're too severe. Too that parent, we weren't severe enough," Springston said, illustrating the quandary school administrators face when making decisions about student discipline. "That's what we have to deal with and we have to make a decision."

The district's policy defines a "terroristic threat" as "a threat to commit violence communicated with the intent to terrorize another."

If an administrator has reason to believe such a threat occurred, the student is immediately suspended, and the superintendent is informed. That student could be reported to police, and the superintendent can recommend to the school board that the student be expelled.

·
Friend of MCMXI
8,717 Posts
We did that all the time for Halloween!!! Man these poeple need to get a life.

·
DADDY WARBUCKS
19,433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I did not have to face this foolishness when my kids were in school.

I think I would have gotten violent dealing with administrators like this.

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
The much-beloved ACLU took on a case similar to this some months back on the grounds that this sort of "zero tolerance" nonsense violates First Amendment protection of freedom of expression - and they won. I hope they take on this one, too.

·
DADDY WARBUCKS
19,433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
They are probably too busy messing with extra Constitutional cases these days.

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Thank God she didn't have any rubberbands on her.

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
Custer said:
They are probably too busy messing with extra Constitutional cases these days.
Alas, you may be right.

·
Friend of MCMXI
8,717 Posts
Lupeloff said:
Thank God she didn't have any rubberbands on her.
Or a confederate flag on her shirt.

On a serious note, has anyone heard the story about the girl that made a prom dress out of the Stars & Bars? I heard a brief excerpt from a commercial on Fox News.

·
Friend of MCMXI
8,717 Posts
Preacher said:
On a serious note, has anyone heard the story about the girl that made a prom dress out of the Stars & Bars? I heard a brief excerpt from a commercial on Fox News.
I found the story and posted it ina new thread.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts