Gunco Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
President for Life Field Marshall Doctor Bluedog D
Joined
·
1,604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Maybe two heads are better than one, and I know two wallets are better than one, so does anyone want to consider a partner in a home building venture? we could share the cost of tools, buy in larger lots (you could tell me what the hell to do) etc. Let me know. I am in Grand Rapids.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
7,143 Posts
Do you already have a press? Maybe I could pack a jig or two in my luggage next time I come to MI.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
7,143 Posts
Cephus - you know if/when I ever make it toward W.V. that I won't forget about stopping to visit you. If I did forget you would never let me live it down :D .
 

·
President for Life Field Marshall Doctor Bluedog D
Joined
·
1,604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
sniper69 said:
Do you already have a press? Maybe I could pack a jig or two in my luggage next time I come to MI.
I don't have a press, I don't even know what tools are needed. I'm just looking to get into building. What does a press run? What else do I need?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
7,143 Posts
Bluedog said:
I don't have a press, I don't even know what tools are needed. I'm just looking to get into building. What does a press run? What else do I need?
It all depends on what type of build you are wanting to do. For a first build - some like to go with the premade (complete) receivers - i.e. vulcan, oow, or arsenal (global trades). With that and a parts kit then a drill press (though a handdrill would work a drillpress makes it easier), some drills, taps (8-32 and 10-32), and screws (10-32 and 8-32 - for a rivet like look button head screws - personally I use grade 8) one could build there own. Of course US compliance parts are a good thing to remember too :D . I'm a firm believer in using headspace gauges - though some have built using a matching numbers kit and not headspaced with acceptable results. I also feel that a dremel is a handy tool to have around. Now if you are wanting to go all out, a press helps you to bend your own receiver from a flat, use rivet jigs to rivet the front and rear trunnions, and triggerguard, and to make an easier time of removing and reinstalling the barrel into the front trunnion (with a screw build removing the barrel isn't necessarily needed). Everything depends on what type of build you are wanting to do and also on how much you want to sink into tools. Harbor freight has a 12 ton press for around $99 on sale (around $124 regular) 12 ton press link The last flyer I got from them showed it at $99.

For a drill press, I have one from harbor freight that cost around $40 drill press link

Hope this helps. :)
 

·
President for Life Field Marshall Doctor Bluedog D
Joined
·
1,604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If I start with flats, dont I also have to weld? Can that be farmed out to some type of professional.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
7,143 Posts
Only welding would be to attach the lower rails. for the true AK look a spot weld is nicest, though a mig or tig welder could be used and then ground smooth. Also screws could be used to hold the lower rails on. 4-32 is a common size for doing this. As for farming the welding out to a pro, I have had welding done locally an employee at the local muffler shop and there are also usually welders that are listed in the yellow pages that could do welding. Sometimes it might be $10-$15 to do the job, others sometimes will do it for a six pack of cold beer. All depends on the person.
 

·
President for Life Field Marshall Doctor Bluedog D
Joined
·
1,604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Has anyone done the math to determing how many recievers you would have to build to save back the cost of buying tools to make them from flats? I guess it doesn't matter if you have the tools already, but I need everything. Then again, it would be nice to build replica recievers with russian markings and fake third axis pins.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
260 Posts
Bluedog said:
Maybe two heads are better than one, and I know two wallets are better than one, so does anyone want to consider a partner in a home building venture? we could share the cost of tools, buy in larger lots (you could tell me what the hell to do) etc. Let me know. I am in Grand Rapids.
I am in the jackson area of Michigan, and have built homemade from scratch receivers, bent blanks, flats and weld builds from ACE. I would happy to get together with you if you like. ak'sr4me
 

·
President for Life Field Marshall Doctor Bluedog D
Joined
·
1,604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So far I've located a builder in Midland, and another here in Grand Rapids. This could be a good start. :welcome:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
195 Posts
Bluedog. On Gunsnet I think they estemated at 5 recivers you brake even.

Do you now where I can buy a steel AK mag in Grand Rapids to help fit the front trunion?
 

·
President for Life Field Marshall Doctor Bluedog D
Joined
·
1,604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hey Rod. Do you Build? I wondered where you went.

I went to the Gunshow this weekend and was very tempted to grab up a nuetered AR 180, but maintained my discipline. I need all my money to get this home building endevor of the ground.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
195 Posts
Bluedog said:
Hey Rod. Do you Build?
I'm in the prosses right now. It's been very slow going trying to get everything together. Time seams to be the bigest ( two jobs) factor.

I'm to the point where I have to fit the front trunnion. I only have waffel mages and I don't now if thats a good idea to fit the trunnion with a waffel. But everything is going well with the build sow far.

Sow yes I build :thumbup1:


P.S I see you get around to all the boards to.

P.S.S
PM me at gunsnet if you need me under Rod MI
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,856 Posts
sniper69 said:
Only welding would be to attach the lower rails. for the true AK look a spot weld is nicest, though a mig or tig welder could be used and then ground smooth. Also screws could be used to hold the lower rails on. 4-32 is a common size for doing this. As for farming the welding out to a pro, I have had welding done locally an employee at the local muffler shop and there are also usually welders that are listed in the yellow pages that could do welding. Sometimes it might be $10-$15 to do the job, others sometimes will do it for a six pack of cold beer. All depends on the person.
To be legal in doing any work on a receiver you would need an FFL (other than yourself, if your making it). So the guy who's welding for you is taking an awful chance. Just be careful and "TRY" to understand the laws. Ignorance is no excuse to a Federal Prosecutor.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
7,143 Posts
Toten Kopf said:
To be legal in doing any work on a receiver you would need an FFL (other than yourself, if your making it). So the guy who's welding for you is taking an awful chance. Just be careful and "TRY" to understand the laws. Ignorance is no excuse to a Federal Prosecutor.
I could be wrong but I was under the impression that as long as I was there when the work was being done it wouldn't be a problem with getting a few welds. If I could talk the person into letting me weld then that would be even better and there would be no question about legalities.
(I have some projects that need welding and I know the person who owns a mig and a tig welder and he will let me use it). Now I have heard that if the receiver was left at the place of business and/or left overnight that the person doing the work would need to be an ffl. At one time the discussion came up on one of the gun forums about a similar subject. I do apologize if my information is wrong, and I am hoping that some more light could be shed on this subject.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,856 Posts
sniper69 said:
I could be wrong but I was under the impression that as long as I was there when the work was being done it wouldn't be a problem with getting a few welds. If I could talk the person into letting me weld then that would be even better and there would be no question about legalities.
(I have some projects that need welding and I know the person who owns a mig and a tig welder and he will let me use it). Now I have heard that if the receiver was left at the place of business and/or left overnight that the person doing the work would need to be an ffl. At one time the discussion came up on one of the gun forums about a similar subject. I do apologize if my information is wrong, and I am hoping that some more light could be shed on this subject.
Jeezzzzzzzzzzzzz.. Now you've got me thinking. I thought that "you" had to do the work. Like someone might setup the equipment but you had to do the operation. What I understood about leaving gun work overnight is that if the job (by an FFL) was completed in the same day (customer waits for it) he wouldn't have to enter it into his books. But if the gun had to remain overnight he would be in custody of it and must enter into his books.

Awhile ago a good friend retired and we gave him a Remington Sendero as a retirement gift. We wanted to engrave his name and years of service on the rifle but was told it would need to be accomplished by someone who has an FFL because it was to be done on the receiver. We opted for a brass plate with the information on it mounted to the buttstock (no FFL needed because the receiver was removed). It was my understanding that anything done to the receiver had to accomplished by an FFL unless it was your receiver (gun) and you were doing the work.

I hope that someone can clarify this so we know what's legal and what's not.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
195 Posts
BlueDog. I think the major tools you will need are probable a

Bench Drill Press $40 at HF in GR on sale right now
Vise for drill press $20
Dremel tool $30
press $100
head space gage set $54 to $80
555th jig $20
misc stuff $30

The Dremel and Drill Press you probable would have to buy. The rest I think I have or can scrounge up. It's a good time to make you Xmas list.

I will update as needed.
 
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Top