Gunco Forums banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Don't know what it is about them, but I gotta have more! Right now I've got a refinished No.4 Mk.1, and a Jungle Carbine that I got from SOG.

Actually it is the second Jungle Carbine I got from SOG. The first one was soooo bad, it looked like it had been buried in a manure pile for 20 years. I called them up and complained and they were very apologetic and sent a UPS return shipping label by next day mail and had a replacement (which is pretty nice btw) at my door in about 3 days. GG
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,386 Posts
I like all the old military rifles, if you get an accurate Enfield, they are super accurate. I like just about everything that goes BANG.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
770 Posts
I have two of them, but I wouldn't call it a "thing for them". They are nice, and I enjoy taking them out for play time though.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,523 Posts
Always wanted a SMLE since I was a kid. A drug store we used to got when I was young always had milsurp rifles, Garands, Carbines, Enfields Ohh-My!! Those were the good ole days.. Could you amagine the liberals pissing their pants when going in to fill their perscription of Prozac?? Shit, they would have to mail order depends just to were to get the downers.. hehehehehe

so anyways, I got that SMLE last year finally, 1916 BSA, and the poor girl just sits in the corner.. May have to take her for a walk soon..
 

·
Master Endmill Breaker
Joined
·
1,367 Posts
I bought my No. 4 Mk 1/2 from Centerfire. I'd like to get another one, especially at the current price. I want to make sure I get another Mk 1/2 or 1/3, as the trigger is on the receiver instead of the triggerfguard.

I finally got my stock refinished the way that I wanted. I'm going to blast, parkerize, and then gunkote the rest of it.

I would like to find another one with a shot-out bore to make a copy of the DeLisle carbine. I won't make the suppressed version, but I'd like to have an Enfield in .45ACP that uses 1911 magazines.

There are a couple websites that show the Enfield converted to other calibers. They use .223 in Australia since semi-auto is illegal and lots of folks got stuck with .223 when they had to turn in their ARs (sounds like the U.S. under Kerry doesn't it?). There is another page that deals with the conversion to 7.62x39 and uses single stack AK magazines.

Enfield .223
http://www.ranrrc.org/tech/no4223new/no4223.htm

Enfield 7.62x39
http://www.pyramid.net/sia/
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,523 Posts
scubadvr said:
What is the story on the U.S. Property Savage Enfields. I saw them in the recent Shot Gun News? Jack

Most likely guns built for LEND LEASE. These had to be marked U.S. Property per LL agreements..
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12,413 Posts
I got 2 myself.

One is a really nice peice, but the markings are filed off as to where it was made.

The other I got recently from the batch that came into the states. It's not as nice, but both are very accurate.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,341 Posts
Bought a nice looking Enfield No. 4 Mark 1 two weeks ago. The rounds are a bit costly (about .50 apiece), but the ones I got from Georgia Arms are noncorrosive. I like the rifle's look and feel and can't wait to shoot it.

I'll be reading what you guys have to share about the Enfield experience!
 

·
DADDY WARBUCKS
Joined
·
19,433 Posts
Got one a couple months ago from Centerfire. Took a lot to clean it up. It came out ok but not great. Indian refurb of an Aussie.

Can't find a decent price on ammo though.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,341 Posts
Custer, I bought some new at a Gun Show for about .50 per round from Georgia Arms. They put them together and say they were not corrosive. I know that's much higher than a 7.67X39, but if the Enfield is anything like my Mosin-Nagants, my shoulder probably won't let me fire more than 20 rounds at a shoot.
 

·
DADDY WARBUCKS
Joined
·
19,433 Posts
I am going to a show this weekend and maybe I can score some ammo at a decent price.

I overpaid for .303 at Bass Pro just to try the thing out after I cleaned it up.

My daughter bought me a fancy slip on recoil paid from some internet orthotics shop. It eliminates almost 100% of the pain. Well worth using when you are going to shoot some big iron during a longer range session.

I can't recall the name of the place, but I'll try to look at my file when I get home and post a link FYI.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
16 Posts
gordon gauge said:
Don't know what it is about them, but I gotta have more! Right now I've got a refinished No.4 Mk.1, and a Jungle Carbine that I got from SOG.

Actually it is the second Jungle Carbine I got from SOG. The first one was soooo bad, it looked like it had been buried in a manure pile for 20 years. I called them up and complained and they were very apologetic and sent a UPS return shipping label by next day mail and had a replacement (which is pretty nice btw) at my door in about 3 days. GG
Yes, I have a thing for Enfields--I think they are butt-ugly and would never own one. You can have my share! :rant:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Shyquestor said:
Yes, I have a thing for Enfields--I think they are butt-ugly and would never own one. You can have my share! :rant:
Cool, there are way too many greedy bastards snapping them up as it is. :D

Hey man, what C&R's do float your boat? One of my other favorites is my Springfield '03 A3. Damn, gotta get more of them from CMP before they are gone, and when this last bunch is gone, the general feeling is that they are GONE. :frown:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
145 Posts
I'm a bad man...I love Enfields, I have 20 of them. 14 various No. 1's, 5 No. 4's, and a No. 5 (jungle carbine).

One of the reasons I love them is the plethora of markings on them....makers marks, armorers marks, ownership marks, unit marks. Marks to research everywhere!

I started buying them probably 12-15 years ago. I try to stick with really nice, all matching guns, although I will succumb to mismatches if it is a rare maker or model.

Enfields and German 98k's are my bag....I have 17 98k's, and not a on a Russian import...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Pictures please!!! GG
 

·
Friend of MCMXI
Joined
·
8,717 Posts
Cephus's Toys

I'm posting these pics for Cephus:

BTW Cephus, the one on the far right, is that a .223?

The 3rd pic is a No.1 MK III 308 that I picked up for $25. The wood was already cut down when I got it, but otherwise excellent condition. Just needed a little cleaning. The guy didn't trust "those old junk military guns." Go figure.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
pzjgr said:
I'm a bad man...I love Enfields, I have 20 of them. 14 various No. 1's, 5 No. 4's, and a No. 5 (jungle carbine).

One of the reasons I love them is the plethora of markings on them....makers marks, armorers marks, ownership marks, unit marks. Marks to research everywhere!

I started buying them probably 12-15 years ago. I try to stick with really nice, all matching guns, although I will succumb to mismatches if it is a rare maker or model.

Enfields and German 98k's are my bag....I have 17 98k's, and not a on a Russian import...
If you ever "cull" your collection, feel free to let me know. :) GG
 
1 - 20 of 30 Posts
Top