Gunco Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Several dealers have this early '70's Korean Arms Co. 30.06 ammo. It comes in a .50 cal can, packed in Garand enbloc clips in bandoliers for around $70 for 376 rounds. Most ads don't state wether it is corrosive, and one ad (I think it was SOG) called it non-corrosive. It is boxer primed, but some brain cells that apparently have survived keep giving me this nagging feeling that I heard somewhere that it is corrosive.

Anybody know for sure? Thanks, GG

·
Registered
625 Posts
From what I?ve read the Korean ammo in the Garand enbloc clips is marked KA, and that is said to be corrosive. The Korean that comes 400 rounds in 20 round boxes packed in the .50 cal can be either the KA or the PS which is non-corrosive. Just this week I received a 400 round can from ?Sportsman?s Guide? that is marked PS, it looks very good but I haven?t fired any yet. Sportsman?s Guide was fast in shipping my ammo, I ordered it Friday night and it was dropped off by UPS on Tuesday morning. I don?t remember where I read it but one company described the 400 round can as being mixed, both corrosive and non-corrosive. So I guess it?s a grab bag, you don?t know what you have till you see it, but I?d ask before I placed an order.

·
Registered
2,836 Posts
Take a look at Aim Surplus they have two different Korean offers. One (the one without M1 clips claims to be noncorrosive. Since the other offer does not say I assume it is corrosive. Did you look at Centerfire Systems they have Lake City 30-06. Jack

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys. I just came back from the range and one of the guys there said he talked to Eric at Aim and they sent the stuff out to be tested (how and where I don't know) and the verdict was "mildly" corrosive. I don't have a big problem with corrosive ammo, just means a little more cleaning as long as you do it in a timely manner. Probably take less time to do the extra cleaning than to load the Garand clips, and hey you can never have too many en blocs and bandoliers, eh? :) GG

p.s. just thought I would mention that it is a good idea to have a can of Windex window cleaner in your range bag and spray out the barrel at the range. Snag one of those extender tubes from a can of WD40 and you can stick that right down into the chamber and blast out the evil salts.

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
HUmph!
"mildly corrosive" is a bit like "sort of pregnant". Still, it probably shoots OK. My Garand has a crappy bore anyway, so I'd shoot it no problem. A good cleaning shouldn't be optional, but mandatory after a range trip IMHO.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Roger that on the good cleaning. The shot of Windex after shooting corrosive ammo is just to keep the salts from nibblin' away at the bore on the ride home. :) GG

p.s. don't forget the bolt face.

·
DADDY WARBUCKS
19,433 Posts
Make sure the windex you use actually has ammonia. Some does not.

I am mostly using a 50 50 mix of water and off brand ammonia from Kroger.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Whoa, thanks for the tip. I did not know that. :( Man, wouldn't that burn your ass to think you were doing good and then, next time you look down the bore it's all pitted with black spots. GG

·
Registered
14 Posts
The KA is good stuff.

I got some of the KA from Centerfire. It is VERY accurate and much cleaner than the Olympic ammo the other guys in the Garand match were using. Use some soapy water to clean up with, then use bore cleaner as usual and oil.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts