Gunco Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Mystic Knight of the Sea
13,384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm interested in getting into Cowboy Action Shooting, and I was interested in buying a Norinco copy of the 97 Winchester.

I figure someone here owns or has shot the Norinco Trench Gun, which is basically the same gun. If so, is it worth $293.80 new, plus shipping. Also, how is the fit and finish?

Thanks!

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
Nope, don't have one - but on the 'net I have stumbled across some reports of shoddy quality-control and difficult-to-replace broken parts.

·
Mystic Knight of the Sea
13,384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Dzerzhinsky said:
Nope, don't have one - but on the 'net I have stumbled across some reports of shoddy quality-control and difficult-to-replace broken parts.
I've heard similar reports in some places (especially in places where trap shooters own $12,000 guns) and then other places I've heard they are OK, especially the newer imported ones. I'm attempting to get a consensus of opinions in order to decide if I should buy one or not. I guess if I don't like it I could sell it to someone less picky. I can buy one for about $100 less than retail because I've got a dealers FFL, so I wouldn't be risking too much. :p

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
Just FYI...

In the course of doing research on my recently-acquired Stevens 311 I found that it's been replaced by the Russian-made 411. Both seem to have good reputations as sturdy side-by-sides for cowboy action shooting.

Never could quite figure out why the '97 is so popular for cowboy action shooting, given that by 1897 the frontier had been closed. There's a reason why the '97 and the Colt 1911 figure prominently in The Wild Bunch's chronicalling of the demise of the outlaw era.

·
Mystic Knight of the Sea
13,384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
WC846 said:
whats a trech gun?
A trench gun is basically the same thing, but modified with a heat shield over the barrel and a bayonet lug.

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
I have the trench gun Norinco copy, and have to say other than the screw working loose(see Loctite), I have had no problems with it.. It has a beautiful set of wood on it, the finish is a really nice blueing, not super grade, but nice.. Function is 100%, it slamfires(Way cool), some Winchester part will work in it.. My only bitch about it is, the fromt sling swivel is too narow to fit a military web sling.. Oh well Mine sports a original 1917 sling... Just need a bayonet some day..

I see that there are some lever action Winchester shotgun copies avalible now, from China.. I would like to see one of those..

·
Mystic Knight of the Sea
13,384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well, I think I have enough information to make a decision. I'm going to tell my wife that is what I want for Christmas. I don't need a bunch of expensive sweaters that I'll never wear or the fancy ties, or anything like that. Guess I'm a ******* cowboy at heart.

·
Registered
681 Posts
That's a good looking shotgun, Pogo.
Where can you find them?
do they have just 12G., or do they make 20G and .410?
I don't believe I've seen them before.

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
I have their copy of the "trench gun" and other then the small screws working loose (LOCKTITE it), it has never failed to feed or eject a shell......bluing is nice, and the walnut stock is beautiful. get a M1917 bayonet, and a 1907 sling, and you can't tell the difference from the real one......it has a flaming bomb arsenal mark and U.S. stamped near the ejecting port.....made in china is in very small letters at the bottom of the receiver. best of all the price is very affordable.....less then 300 bucks. the only thing you have to be carful about is where you place your hand on the neck of the stock.....if it's a bit high the bolt will put a nice slice on top of your thumb when you "rack" the shotgun.......it only takes one time, and you will never do that again :D

and just like the original, there is no disconnector.......hold the trigger back and as fast as you can work the pump the thing will fire all the rounds in the magazine.....awesome

here is mine all decked out :D

·
Registered
2,607 Posts
i saw a real one at the Harrisburg show for $700. scubadvr was drooling all over it and i didn't have the money

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
the REMINGTON M1917 bayonet I got from SOG.....for 70 bucks I believe, don't know if they still have them. the sling is a new repo M1907 I bought at a local gunshow.

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
WC846 said:
i saw a real one at the gettysburg show for $700. scubadvr was drooling all over it and i didn't have the money

Be aware of a "REAL" Winchester trench gun for $700, it will most likely be a fake, and depending on condition, may not be worth the $700 you pay for it..

I'm not a expert, but some things to look for will be no US markings.. Don't belive the dealer's bullshit on this one about special ops guns, or contract extras, I've heard them all, and they are full of shit.. Another is fake US markings, these can be hard to spot, and it is hard to describe them.

Another lyes in the heatshield.. This should be marked by the bayo lug with the makers info.. Also vent hole arrangment is a dead give a way..

Another is, there are no, let me repeat NO legit US issue trench guns that have a take down bbl.. again NO take down trench guns.. Again see your "dealer's lies and bullshit fieldguide" for explanations..

Like I said I am no expert.. See this place for all your info, there are a bunch of really knowledgable and freindly people here that will help you out.

http://www.jouster.com/cgi-bin/garand/garand.pl

·
Registered
2,607 Posts
I don't know that much about them either.. the one we saw was well worn and had US markings on it.. but as far as them being fake, i wouldn't have a clue..

·
Mystic Knight of the Sea
13,384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
sks_hunter said:
That's a good looking shotgun, Pogo.
Where can you find them?
do they have just 12G., or do they make 20G and .410?
I don't believe I've seen them before.
I ordered mine from Davidsons. They also have the military model like WT Sherman has. Nice looking gun Sherm, and welcome aboard. I should be getting mine tommorow because my wife bought it for me for Christmas. :)

I don't think they come in anything other than 12 gauge because the original Winchesters were only in 12 gauge.

·
Registered
2,836 Posts
Pogo said:
I ordered mine from Davidsons. They also have the military model like WT Sherman has. Nice looking gun Sherm, and welcome aboard. I should be getting mine tommorow because my wife bought it for me for Christmas. :)

I don't think they come in anything other than 12 gauge because the original Winchesters were only in 12 gauge.

Someone is going to be very happy!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts