Gunco Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone else see the AGI-AK Build Video?
Well I have, It came in the mail on Friday and I took a look that night. OK I did like seeing someone build an AK but it could?ve been better. They give you the plans for the fixtures (Jigs) used in the film (PDF files on the DVD version) but you have to have a Mill to make them and they seem too complex for most of us to make. The slick thing was removing the barrel from the trunnion and ?Pulling? it back in. He used a two-leg gear puller to push it out and a special block in the back of the trunnion with a threaded rod through the bore going to a brass protector and a nut, as the nut is turned the barrel is ?Pulled? into the trunnion. It worked very well and it?s a lot cheaper than a hydraulic press, the puller is $5.99 at HF and the rest can be made from scrap and a threaded rod.
I didn?t like the way he did the riveting though, after going to all that work to remove the barrel he then put it back in before doing the rivets. The idea is to use the barrel to buck the rivets (Can?t be good for the chamber area) and hammer them from the outside. He used a Dremel tool to cut a small groove in the end of the rivet and inserted it so the groove was inline with the bore, the idea here is that the rivet would deform easier when it?s smashed into the barrel. He then used a rivet set that was a rod with a cupped end and was hardened to survive the pounding. (This is much the same way I set rivets for two years back in Trade School) The problem is the cup looked to be too deep at it?s center to just hold the head as you hit it, it looked like the head of the rivet was deformed more than the rivet was pushed into the hole and against barrel. The rivet looked very high and pointed when he finished. I don?t understand why he didn?t rivet before replacing the barrel.
It was kind of funny when he needed the cameraman to hold the receiver as he riveted it, he said he needed an extra hand to hold it but really needed two, and so another guy came in and helped.
He does take the time to show how to install and adjust the mag release and talks about the problems of having size variances in magazines.
He talked about heat treating the rails and said to fully heat-treat them (End to End) before they are installed, this is because they will last much longer than if you just treat the ejector. He didn?t show how to treat the rails, he just said to view the other videos by AGI on heat treating metal. And when it came to a finish for the gun he just gave the options and tells you to see the AGI videos on that too. Big help right?
He showed how to bend a flat but again the fixture needed a mill to make and was too complex, it was only a two piece fixture and the bending was done with the end of the rivet bucking bar. It?s a slow process and with Carpal Tunnel I?d never be able to do it, too much hammer work for me.
I would say with all things considered, it would be better for 10 or 12 guys to pool their money and then pass the DVD around rather than everyone buying their own. Spend your time and not your money by reading all you can here at Gunco, the jigs you see here are better than what they use in the film by far.
Well that?s about all I can say right now, it?s after 5am and I?ve got to go to bed. It?s late! Can?t thinnnnnkkkkk,,,,,,,,,zz zz zz zz zz zz

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
Oldgunner...

Nice review, I had bougth the Ohms Research DVD and it shows how to make an AK out of pieces of flat stock, no bending here. Basically a down and dirty way to build one.

Yours sounds more in depth but I don't like the idea of using the barrel for bucking the rivets. Like you said, why didn't he do that before installing the barrel. After viewing the OR DVD, I decided that the info here was better suited to what I wanted to do. Also you can ask questions if you don't understand something which you can't do with the DVD.

Thanks for the review.

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I didn?t mean to say the AGI video is no good at all, it?s just that there are better ways to do some of the work, and that you?ll find most of the info right here at Gunco, besides you?ll make friends as you learn here. I do think the video is worth seeing, but maybe not at what they?re charging for it though.
In watching the video I got the impression that they felt they HAD to do things in a different way than normally seen on the Internet, It?s like they need things done ?The AGI Way?, remember for them it?s a business and this film is copyrighted. They don?t want to have someone take then to court saying that they had stolen an idea or jig design and used it to make the film. It?s CYA legally by not doing it as others do, can?t blame them for that. Also in order to CYA legally he goes over the ?Ten Part Rule? but tells you to get the real dope from the ATF to make sure, and also check State and local laws before you build.
I still think a group of members should get together and buy a copy, and then pass it around among the group. If they get the DVD version it can be protected by a ?d_skin?, it?s a Snap-On clear cover that is left on when played, you can get them at Wal-Mart in a can of five for $5.

·
Registered
2,836 Posts
Hot Barrel has my videos now. When he get sends it back I will be happy to lend it (free of charge) to members of this board. Just send it back in a couple of weeks. I think it is a good set of videos. That said, nothing beats Max's tutioral on Ace. Max does every thing right, his turioral is proof. Cephus was telling Sam (my best friend) and diving partner about it this past weekend.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I got an even better idea

If you guys would like your own copy of the dvd I have a program that will make a one for one perfect copy of the dvd whoever has the original can send it to me and I would be happy to make copies and would also like to give a big THANK YOU to the person who purchased it and let me copy it if you like the idea send me an email [email protected]

·
Registered
34 Posts
Just a note on the heat treat of the lower rails:

I tried to heat treat an entire rail and it warped quite a bit. On the next one, I just did the end where the bolt will first hit the rail and the ejector.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I have a DVD copy of the AGI FNFAL build I would like to trade for a copy of the AK build if anyone wants to swap.

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
keiser said:
Just a note on the heat treat of the lower rails:

I tried to heat treat an entire rail and it warped quite a bit. On the next one, I just did the end where the bolt will first hit the rail and the ejector
My rails are on the way, I guess I?ll try clamping the half that rivets to the Receiver between some steel or use a vice, and then only heat the actual rails and ejector so they stay straight. Thanks for the input.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts